100 Series Rock Sliders Recommendations (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If they’re just reselling Rocky Road, or this Is an alias for Rocky Road, maybe not the first Guinea pig.

PO installed WKOR on mine. They have been great but warned me not to jack the vehicle with them. He said in his experience they didn’t take it. That would be my only complaint if true. FWIW

If they’re just reselling Rocky Road, or this Is an alias for Rocky Road, maybe not the first Guinea pig.

I did get a status update saying the pieces were at their cutting area and would then go to welding, giving the impression that they do the manufacturing themselves.

Id steer clear of rocky road sliders, if youre gonna wheel your rig. I got them at first, yrs ago, cus they looked good and deal seemed good, but when i got them, instructions were to use self tapping screws to the frame to hold them up. Perfect for the mall… but I knew thats not gonna work for my use, so i sold them and got Metal Techs… which take a beating and still holding up well.

as someone mentioned, metal tech only has 2 legs, but the’re beefy… and protects the rockers well.
they will flex a tiny bit when using a Hi-lift on it… but still does the job Just fine.
Regardless, always have a redundant jack stand or something whenever possible, for safety when going under the vehicle

I thought I would summarize my research on 100 series sliders. Note shipping cost may vary by your location.

Recognize this is a snapshot in time. There is also chance that I made mistake in my research and what I listed could have error(s).

I use open as no plate(s) on top (less of a step look). Closed have plates on top (look more like a step).

I wanted DOM steel and powder coat. That is price listed is for this option unless stated otherwise.

- Rocky Road: multiple people on ih8mud indicate they are junk. Did not consider further.
- MetalTech: appear nice but 1) not very customizable (no BL customization) 2) missed thanksgiving sale ($300 off) even though code is still listed on their site (they offered to extend for me to end of week which was a nice offer) 3) shipping is expensive (starting at almost $300) 4) cost is highest or near highest ($1535 - $300 discount = $1235)
- White knuckle Off Road (WKOR): has customization for 1” BL. Open and closed options. Product price reasonable plus 5% ih8mud discount (mudmember18). $1050 before coupon with no top plate but DOM equal $1k after coupon. Shipping is $145.
- Slee: $1145. Not customizable. Not clear that it is DOM steal. No open design. Shipping is expensive, $420.
- Owl expedition: mostly does not exist. There have been a few prototypes. Production unpainted was forecast at $900. No customization. Closed design.
- Cruisin’ Off Road: no longer in business.
- Trail Tailor: did not see any sliders on their site. Maybe discontinued.
- Bump It Off Road (BIOR) currently not taking orders due to material delays and long list of orders.
- 12 Degrees North: real long lead times. Appears to sell Rocky Road sliders that are heavily criticized on ih7mud. Did not consider further.
- Shrockworks: does not make LC sliders.

Most of these sliders look to be well built and have good reputations.

I liked that metal tech reached out and offered to extend their discount. I do think it was the right thing for them to do because the discount was still listed on their site. However not all vendors do the right thing. Their interaction with me was top notch.

I chose WKOR. It was largely due to my LC has 1” body lift (BL). WKOR was only vendor that offered customization for BL. we also had a preference for open design. WKOL offered options for open and closed design, but some venders offered only closed design.

Hope this provides someone else a head start on their series 100 slider research.

I thought I would summarize my research on 100 series sliders. Note shipping cost may vary by your location.

Recognize this is a snapshot in time. There is also chance that I made mistake in my research and what I listed could have error(s).

I use open as no plate(s) on top (less of a step look). Closed have plates on top (look more like a step).

I wanted DOM steel and powder coat. That is price listed is for this option unless stated otherwise.

- Rocky Road: multiple people on ih8mud indicate they are junk. Did not consider further.
- MetalTech: appear nice but 1) not very customizable (no BL customization) 2) missed thanksgiving sale ($300 off) even though code is still listed on their site (they offered to extend for me to end of week which was a nice offer) 3) shipping is expensive (starting at almost $300) 4) cost is highest or near highest ($1535 - $300 discount = $1235)
- White knuckle Off Road (WKOR): has customization for 1” BL. Open and closed options. Product price reasonable plus 5% ih8mud discount (mudmember18). $1050 before coupon with no top plate but DOM equal $1k after coupon. Shipping is $145.
- Slee: $1145. Not customizable. Not clear that it is DOM steal. No open design. Shipping is expensive, $420.
- Owl expedition: mostly does not exist. There have been a few prototypes. Production unpainted was forecast at $900. No customization. Closed design.
- Cruisin’ Off Road: no longer in business.
- Trail Tailor: did not see any sliders on their site. Maybe discontinued.
- Bump It Off Road (BIOR) currently not taking orders due to material delays and long list of orders.
- 12 Degrees North: real long lead times. Appears to sell Rocky Road sliders that are heavily criticized on ih7mud. Did not consider further.
- Shrockworks: does not make LC sliders.

Most of these sliders look to be well built and have good reputations.

I liked that metal tech reached out and offered to extend their discount. I do think it was the right thing for them to do because the discount was still listed on their site. However not all vendors do the right thing. Their interaction with me was top notch.

I chose WKOR. It was largely due to my LC has 1” body lift (BL). WKOR was only vendor that offered customization for BL. we also had a preference for open design. WKOL offered options for open and closed design, but some venders offered only closed design.

Hope this provides someone else a head start on their series 100 slider research.
The White Knuckle seem to get good reviews, and be quite popular around here, and I don’t own a set (yet). I’ve got Slee on one, Metaltech on another, and Trail Tailor on another. Honestly I don’t notice all that much difference between them. So far, the Trail Tailors have taken the “biggest hit”, but seemed to take it in stride.

The White Knuckle seem to get good reviews, and be quite popular around here, and I don’t own a set (yet). I’ve got Slee on one, Metaltech on another, and Trail Tailor on another. Honestly I don’t notice all that much difference between them. So far, the Trail Tailors have taken the “biggest hit”, but seemed to take it in stride.
I have Shrockworks on my 4R Trail. They have taken a maybe 18” drop on to them with no significant bend. If Shrockworks made sliders for 100 series LC and customized for 1” BL, they would have been my choice.

White knuckle was only vendor offering customizing for BL. They had open design option which was our preference. Their price was fair and shipping was cheapest option to my address (they are 2 hours away from my address). They were best option for us. I placed the order this morning (will be selling current step (maybe slider when it is installed).

However if the LC had no body lift or if I preferred closed design, the other options could be nice.

The metal tech ones are almost perfect, they look great, they provide enough kick out without being too fat and sticking out way too far like some. I’ve had them for years and made an install thread for them years ago.

Unfortunately, the two leg design really doesn’t hold up to hard wheeling. I know I’m not the only person that deals with this, as I often see other owners laying on their back after a trail day adjusting them. Without welding them on, these will not stay fixed in place when taking a hard hit. They will slide up a 1/4” and then rub against the body of the cruiser. No matter how tight you make these u-bolts, these sliders will shift upwards. Part of the problem is the holes where the u bolts slide through to anchor the mounts are too large. These holes allow just enough room for the metal u-bolt to have play and eventually you will hit them hard enough to shift them up. Granted I probably wheel harder than most, many people may never have an issue, but these sliders would greatly benefit from a 3rd mounting arm or welding them into place.
I don't like the U-bolts and have been thinking about welding mine on. What down sides do you all see to doing that?

My concerns would be difficulty of removal if needed for...some reason? And creating weak points in the frame with the vertical welds. That's my biggest concern, and I think I would try to minimize weld penetration since I would rather break off a slider than break my frame. But I might be off base and would appreciate feedback. Possibly cut the feet into diamonds to not have vertical welds the entire height of the frame?

Last edited:
I don't like the U-bolts and have been thinking about welding mine on. What down sides do you all see to doing that?

My concerns would be difficulty of removal if needed for...some reason? And creating weak points in the frame with the vertical welds. That's my biggest concern, and I think I would try to minimize weld penetration since I would rather break off a slider than break my frame. But I might be off base and would appreciate feedback. Possibly cut the feet into diamonds to not have vertical welds the entire height of the frame?
Use scab plates and weld them to the frame. Then weld the slider legs to the scab plates.

FWIW, I had Metal Tech sliders on my 2000 and currently have them on my 2013. On the 2000, the u-bolts weren't an issue. When I first got them I did have to loosen to allow them to drop back down but after they were re-torqued it was never an issue again. While sliders on both trucks have plenty of witness marks, I would classify my self as more of an 'overland tourer' than a rock crawler. YMMV.

I personally don't like the idea of welding onto the frame for three reasons. First, I'm not confident the average welder can do it properly without causing damage. Reinforcement plates, correct heat, wire type, rust prevention, etc. Good welders get paid well for a reason and that pay isn't to be found at your average 4WD shop. Second, you become locked into them. If you ever want to move them to a new vehicle or change your build it's a semi-permanent mod. Third, it affects resale. I personally wouldn't buy a vehicle that had any modifications done to the frame; I want a clean slate not someone else's hack.

heres another option, not sure ive seen anyone on the forum with them.

I'm wondering about these sliders from Victory 4x4 as well. I like the way they look but I can't find a picture or review of them anywhere except on victory's website.

I've been holding out for a set of sliders from owl expediton but that's going on 2 years now so not sure it's ever going to happen.

Just noticed victory has an install video for these on their website. Looks pretty slick but I've never had sliders on a vehicle to compare them to. Do these look tough enough to rely on once out on the trail?

Last edited:
I have the owl expedition sliders and they are fantastic (I'll try and remember to post pictures later). They are step sliders and quite robust. I'm not sure what the status is with them at the moment since rami and his wife are expecting their first new explorer any day.

Not sure how to link to a specific post in a thread but see post #93 in this link. I am try to order the same again for my son’s 2000 LC
Post in thread 'Slider pic thread'
Slider pic thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/slider-pic-thread.956595/post-12421962

AE46BAD4-7809-445C-9B38-AB0A73573873.png

Not sure how to link to a specific post in a thread but see post #93 in this link. I am try to order the same again for my son’s 2000 LC
Post in thread 'Slider pic thread'
Slider pic thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/slider-pic-thread.956595/post-12421962

View attachment 3205986
In my market the powder coat would approach 3 times that cost today. Not sure about the other costs, but prices have increased a lot since then. Welding in my market is $135/hr today. I suspect at least 2 hours and likely more.

Good luck

Members who bought WKOR, how did you decide on flat "step" vs. the standard 15-degree raised step? This will be for a daily driver, and I don't want to regret my decision every time I hoist myself into the truck.

Members who bought WKOR, how did you decide on flat "step" vs. the standard 15-degree raised step? This will be for a daily driver, and I don't want to regret my decision every time I hoist myself into the truck.
I daily drive mine and I have the angled ones. Personally I chose because I thought they looked cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom