Builds 94 FZJ80 - Let the Adventure Ensue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Draining oil…and the reveal:
EE871087-4794-40E4-9203-5D01F35A1C62.jpeg

244268D0-C008-4B1D-AFA9-55F90278018F.jpeg
541999EC-F995-4A43-B8D8-24A15A30B9D1.jpeg

Anyone want a cup of strawberry milkshake?

I’m sure it’s fine…put a little marvel mystery sea foam stop leak wonder fluid in it.

I guess it will make blocking off your EGR pretty simple. I’m assuming that the consensus will be that decades of EGR heat led to HG death at #6.

Also if this becomes a parts truck give me a call…I have a 93-94 parts wish list and I have cash:flipoff2:

You gonna use new head bolts or ARP studs going back together?

You gonna use new head bolts or ARP studs going back together?
After reading the debates between ARP, opel, and OEM, I got fed up and went to Amazon and ordered a pack of Chinese steel bolts in various economy sizes. I feel lucky.

Joke.

Ordered OEM bolts today. I’m not going FI in her. When it comes to my cruisers, I want them unlike my ex-gf, slow and steady and reliable.

How long did it run with that possibly happening?

My estimation is less than 10 min max. Btw, thanks for your help today. I preserved the engine and drained all the coolant.

My estimation is less than 10 min max. Btw, thanks for your help today. I preserved the engine and drained all the coolant.
I was asking to get an idea about how much damage there may be to the crank and connecting rod bearings running coolant through them.

How many miles on the engine total?

I was asking to get an idea about how much damage there may be to the crank and connecting rod bearings running coolant through them.

How many miles on the engine total?

Just under 210k

Based on what I have shown you, does it look like my HG failed in an uncommon way?

Does coolant not go through the engine on all HG failures? I read about people driving after HG failure and limping home by adding water.

Just under 210k

Based on what I have shown you, does it look like my HG failed in an uncommon way?

Does coolant not go through the engine on all HG failures? I read about people driving after HG failure and limping home by adding water.
Not all HG failures dump coolant into the oil. Coolant doesn't lubricate. It thins your oil and it could cause bearing damage if not caught quickly. If you were at idle when this occurred versus if you were Rock bouncing at WOT, it may determine the life remaining.

The fact you have 210K, and it's gone through there with that much coolant, you definitely need to plan on checking and mic'ing the bearings to make sure they're ok before rebuilding the head and throwing it back on or you may end up coming right back apart for bearings.

I think you're on the right track to Seriously look at pulling it for a full check and possibly rebuild.

Not all HG failures dump coolant into the oil. Coolant doesn't lubricate. It thins your oil and it could cause bearing damage if not caught quickly. If you were at idle when this occurred versus if you were Rock bouncing at WOT, it may determine the life remaining.

The fact you have 210K, and it's gone through there with that much coolant, you definitely need to plan on checking and mic'ing the bearings to make sure they're ok before rebuilding the head and throwing it back on or you may end up coming right back apart for bearings.

I think you're on the right track to Seriously look at pulling it for a full check and possibly rebuild.

Well I was going 75-80 mph when this happened, so maybe I will pull the engine and get after it.

I do have a new short block headed my way. I only ordered it back in March so it should be here like 4 months ago.

I’m no mechanic and others may Disagreed.

But if it we’re mine I would start the motor with the fresh oil and no coolant in it, run it for a minute or two.
This would burn all the coolant out of the cylinders and pump fresh oil through all the bearings.
If you don’t hear any knocking or strange noises change the oil again and do the head gasket.
It’s no guarantee that the bearings aren’t damaged but would give you a good idea.

These motor’s are pretty stout it should be fine if it really only ran like that for a few minutes.

JMHO shade tree Hack. 😎

Last edited:
Maybe pull three bearing caps for visual inspection and plastigauge. Send an oil sample to Blackstone to check for metals. I’m all about running it ‘til it blows anyway. All those precautionary measures and troubleshooting costs valuable time and money.

Maybe pull three bearing caps for visual inspection and plastigauge. Send an oil sample to Blackstone to check for metals. I’m all about running it ‘til it blows anyway. All those precautionary measures and troubleshooting costs valuable time and money.
He pulled his spark plugs and puked coolant out of #6 cylinder because he was hydrolocked.
He drained his chocolate milk and it clearly shows coolant in the bucket.
The Oil sample could prove a little for severe bearing wear, as long as he hasn't thrown it away It may have settled materials in the bucket by now. That would still be a guess about bearing condition.

I think sending the sample to Blackstone is moot since the oil is settled overnight. I haven't disposed of it; is it still worth trying to send a sample, or nah?
What is the consensus on starting the cruiser to burn off any antifreeze inside the block? My rad has been emptied, and fresh oil has been added to my engine.

To me it's about residual antifreeze in the cylinders and contaminated oil in the bearing especially if your not going to work on it right a way.
It can't hurt it as long as you don't let it overheat.

I think sending the sample to Blackstone is moot since the oil is settled overnight. I haven't disposed of it; is it still worth trying to send a sample, or nah?
What is the consensus on starting the cruiser to burn off any antifreeze inside the block? My rad has been emptied, and fresh oil has been added to my engine.
I think that the block could take running for a minute with no coolant but the head is a long, aluminum chunk and where the bulk of the heat collects. I think I’d just get the engine opened up asap to dry what I could with rags and let Mother Nature evaporate the rest while I do the job without wasting time.

When I bought my 93 it had 267k miles. The HG had been replaced by a dealership at 265,500. The engine was fitted with a Fram oil filter so I asked the PO; was the oil not changed after the HG job was done? He said NO. The dipstick showed no significant signs of contamination like yours though. My engine now has 312k and has always run stellar. I think you may be overly concerned about what contamination by coolant may be in the crankcase.

I’m wondering, though, about the integrity of #6 connecting rod.

Well, looks like I have to get to work.

I don’t have the means or confidence to pull the engine on my own here. I will engage some cruiser heads nearby

I would at least pull the coil wire and crank it over to pump fresh oil into the bearings 🤷‍♂️
That is a lot of antifreeze in the oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom