What year is this rear end? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can someone tell me what year is this rear end from an 80 series? These is a donor rear end i used for my build. I am trying to find the correct brake pads. Thanks
Ha ha it would help if you posted a picture :doh:

There’s only two variance of the 80 series rear axle in the US market.
91 92 SF 93-97 FF, my guess is that you have the FF

Last edited:
Ha ha it would help if you posted a picture :doh:
Sorry

CA880FC3-92F1-46AF-B71F-CAB114E0FDA7.jpeg

B600F40E-D148-4D52-ADF4-02BD5354CF1D.jpeg

For us market at least that's a later FZJ80 full float rear axle with ABS and no diff lock. I think there may have been a transition around 93/94 to the full float where some had ABS and perhaps some didn't but I'm not sure on all of that. From what I know brake pads/shoes from 95/96/97 US FZJ80s should all be same and work on that axle.

I'm sure a correction will be forthcoming where I'm wrong :)

I mistakenly assumed the US market as the OP is from LA Cailf.

My bad 🤷‍♂️

I mistakenly assumed the US market as the OP is from LA Cailf.

My bad 🤷‍♂️

Original Poster. That's you.

PO is Previous Owner.
Yes I am from Los Angeles California, The pictured rear end is from the USA. Yes we are driving around the world. We are now preparing to travel Africa in 2023 that is why I need to change all my brake pad. You can see our travel if you google @nullacruising. Please let me know where i can source these brake pads. Thank you 🙏🏽

0EDA910E-AD0A-4ED7-B939-2C81C90B0ACA.jpeg

5AD38978-D4EC-456B-8BA1-8778DC35C036.jpeg

Yes I am from Los Angeles California, The pictured rear end is from the USA. Yes we are driving around the world. We are now preparing to travel Africa in 2023 that is why I need to change all my brake pad. You can see our travel if you google @nullacruising. Please let me know where i can source these brake pads. Thank you 🙏🏽

View attachment 3157606

View attachment 3157607
My brain can’t comprehend that. I’m making a martini, which ought to help.

Please let me know where i can source these brake pads.

We are glad to help with your questions and you should feel free to ask whatever you want. That said, I offer the following in an effort to encourage a little more self sufficiency before such a big trip.

I'm surprised that you are taking off on such an adventure yet aren't able to identify the axle in your vehicle or source the brake parts for it once it's been identified for you. Upping your skills in these areas will make for a smoother trip I'm sure, particularly when there's no internet service or similar support network. Having print manuals, etc. may help but there's a ton of value to being familiar with your rig and what it takes to keep it rolling, even if it's just to help you avoid getting screwed by a bush mech.

One technique that can allow you to learn a lot of related information on any subject and also self-serve in terms of finding information about Toyota 4wd vehicles is to search this site using Google. For instance you can drop the following into the Google search engine to get a lot of info related to rear brake pads on fzj80s:

rear brake pads fzj80 ih8mud.com​
You can change the part name or the model name as needed and as you learn new/better terms to search for.

There are a number of parts suppliers that can ship to international locations and you should plan ahead for which ones to use and what will be required to get parts to different points on your route, in my opinion. Here's a search on that topic that more specifically limits results to this site only:

landcruiser parts suppliers site:forum.ih8mud.com​
One supplier that I've used that offers good support and can answer questions, should you need help is Cruiser Outfitters. They list some brake pad options on this page:

Another parts supplier that I've used which has good prices and I suspect will be pretty competent at international shipping is Partsouq since they are in the middle east yet many here in the states use them:

You may be planning this already but I'd recommend keeping spare brake pads on board for such a trip, particularly front pads. No telling how your front/rear bias is setup on that rig so it's hard to guess on pad wear but it's not uncommon to wear the front pads much faster than the rears.

Please let me know where i can source these brake pads. Thank you 🙏🏽
The part number for the US 93-97 80 series rear brake pads is 04466-60020 or you can use this vin # JT3DJ81W7R0072105 to find parts for that rear axle.
Like Jpoole said partsouq.com is a good international part source. ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom