Motor Isolator (mounts) Differences in Durometer Between Models? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm swapping a 1KZ-TE into my 84 XtraCab Pickup. I have spent a lot of time getting the new motor mounts dialed in for an ideal engine position.

I used new OEM 3VZE rubber isolators for mock-up. Unfortunately, with the weight of the power train set down, the rubber deform enough that I lost 1/2 of motor height. I can raise the frame side mountings to get that back easy enough but am more concerned about the position of the mounts under the weight. It seems like the "cups" that prevent excessive movement of the motor under heavy load or engine braking are resting on the limits..... I hope that makes sense. Seems to me the motor is sitting on the mount with only a thin rubber overmold instead of being fully isolated by the block of rubber.

I'm considering buying some OEM mounts for the Toyota Prado (where this engine came from) hoping they'll be a firmer durometer.

Does anybody have any insight if there are differences other than part numbers?
Also worth noting, the original cast iron mounts comingnoff the engine have a 35* angle, I stayed with the 35* angle on my fabbed replacements. This angle is pretty steep compared to the 22RE or 3VZE angle. This is increasing the distortion of the rubber isolator.
Poly is not an option due to diesel vibrations I think.

Thanks

20221030_132951.jpg

20221030_132934.jpg

20221031_160740.jpg

20221031_160800.jpg

20221030_110544.jpg

Last edited:
What's the weight of that motor? My 2.0 TDI, cast iron block and aluminum head is sitting on stock eBay sourced 22re mounts with no issues. I have maybe 3/4 of an inch gap between my front differential and the oil pan. My motor weighs between 400 and 450. I'd have no noticed if they had dropped over the past 10 months as my pan would let me know.

600 lbs is the weight from what I can find. I'd say that's about right with all accessories.

The angle they sit at is what is making it so bad I think. If you set 300lbs on one of them placed horizontal, I doubt it squash much.

600 is a good deal of weight but the 3.0 is @500. I would think that would be close enough to not matter, if used in proper angle.

My set up retained unmodified frame mount brackets

It you can't get confirmation on the Yota diesel mounts look at the Isuzu 4bd1t and 4bd2t engine mounts. I don't recall what angle they sat at but they did sit at an angle iirc. Near 800lbs motor. Very similar footprint to your current mounts and can be had for less than 50 a mount on eBay (free returns if it doesn't measure out for you)

Thanks, 'll check them out. I need to order some parts from overseas and am going to get some OEM prado mounts on that order. Hopefully they work out and I can use these 3VZE mounts under my other trucks 22R.

I have little insight to add to this conversation other than aftermarket motor mounts are almost always WAY harder than OEM motor mounts. I have experienced this over replacing hundreds of motor mounts.

This typically leads to bad frame vibrations. However, it may help in your scenario.

I have little insight to add to this conversation other than aftermarket motor mounts are almost always WAY harder than OEM motor mounts. I have experienced this over replacing hundreds of motor mounts.

This typically leads to bad frame vibrations. However, it may help in your scenario.
Thanks for the feedback. I want to keep the mounts OEM. I have an order in at Amayama with various engine parts and the factory Prado 1KZ mounts. Still waiting on a few of the items to arrive before it ships from overseas.

I'll report back when they come in. In the meantime I've been getting my Toyota Supra radiator modified to fit in this body. I hope it's got enough cooling capacity to keep this motor happy.

That angle is horrible here's the factory angle on my 1KZ swap

IMG_6791.JPG

Thanks for the picture. My order from the UAE shipped. Should have the Prado mounts on Wednesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom