Fuel, premium vs regular (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have been doing some research about using premium fuel vs regular fuel in my 2018 LC 200. Im not convinced I need go spend the extra $ fot premium. Will someone, please, explain why I need burn 91+ Obtain vs 87. Thanks

So I have been doing some research about using premium fuel vs regular fuel in my 2018 LC 200. Im not convinced I need go spend the extra $ fot premium. Will someone, please, explain why I need burn 91+ Obtain vs 87. Thanks
It’s been my personal experience with my 08’ that it seems to make no difference in my own mpg. I don’t tow, and I drive a bit like a grandma most of the time. Ethanol free premium, which is available at about half of our stations up here in Montana seems to make a noticeable improvement in mpg. But then you have to justify the additional cost, upwards of another $1 per gallon! And if I had a supercharger, I would only run premium, but otherwise I’m happy with regular. And I know some places in the country have an even lower octane fuel, or some say a lower quality octane 🤷🏻‍♂️ which I can’t share any experience with. Our regular up here is 87 octane, and premium is 91 octane @ Costco.

Covered here exhaustively. Mostly opinion with no facts - particularly when it comes to Lexus/Toyota engine tuning. I run regular in my 5 Toyota V8s. 2 of which are LX570s.
Well put, other than the thread with learned ignition adjustments being what I’d call fact.. but to my knowledge no one has compared the same values in LC vs LX with their supposed different octane “requirements.”

I've run 87 octane Regular in every single Toyota/Lexus I've ever owned and as you can see from my signature that's quite the long list. There are homers on both sides of this argument, pick a side and carry on is my best advice.

As you have an LC, the answer is straightforward. The manual tells you the requirement. 87 octane is all that is necessary for safe and optimum performance. While it's possible 91 may give a slight edge, there's no requirement for it.

The LX is a whole different story and shouldn't be mixed into this discussion.

Here in Colorado regular is 85, mid 87 and premium 91 because of the altitude (less octane is needed) Even the EPA says no one but carbureted cars should be using 85 (Select the right octane fuel for your vehicle! - https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/octane.shtml) I hope no one is putting 85 in the LC/LX

I have an LX, same engine, different requirement. I prefer Ethanol free gas 87 or 91. I def. notice a difference in mileage.

I think ethanol will cause more long term damage than using regular vs. premium gas.

As you have an LC, the answer is straightforward. The manual tells you the requirement. 87 octane is all that is necessary for safe and optimum performance. While it's possible 91 may give a slight edge, there's no requirement for it.

The LX is a whole different story and shouldn't be mixed into this discussion.

The LX has a slighter higher HP rating, guessing it's due to the 91+ octane

I would run 87 and if any pinging when you park, switch back to 91+

If you use just the word octane in a search on the 200 section of Mud, you get 800 posts. And if you did more complex searches with premium fuel, or etc. as search terms, you’d probably get way more than 1K posts. If yours is a real question, maybe some more research would help?

Regs unless she’s been especially good that week

88 for me
Half 91 and half 85 cause that’s what the Costco has.

Reg in all my rigs. There is a difference between premium required vs premium recommended

It calls for regular...so thats what's used in mine.. I do add a can of BG44k every couple of months to it as well (or use Techron..)
basically same thing I have done for years in my defenders..

No difference in MPG or power from what I can feel using premium fuel (it might go more advanced on the timing but Toyota is conservative with the tuning anyway.. so why bother for minimal gains.

(edit.. to clarify the NAS 95' defender calls for premium due to its compression ratio and will ping on regular. I do have it fairly advanced as well in timing, so it gets premium, and hey I'm dealing with 1980's tech there for the fuel computer and a distributor... )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom