Builds Romer's 200 Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you have to change out your CB Coax?
yes it takes a different cable due to the frequency it operates on. I left the cable and antenna on the back and likely will remove those after the wheeling season

Why not use one of the Ham radios like btech or baofeng or anytone which can tx and rx on gmrs, frs, and ham? I know the first two do have lower power limits, but it seems like a single unit would be convenient
why would I do that?

I want to work both Radios. My HAM is a dual and the second channel is for APRS. I just replaced the CB with the FRS/GMRS. I am use to working two radios on trail runs

On the runs I lead, I talked to the Gunner and few others on HAM and used the FRS radio to chat with the group. Plus I chatted on the HAM with folks on other trails

There was one person on the trail who had the setup you mentioned and he had to change to switch from HAM to FRS and back

Besides, I believe that isnt fully legal

why would I do that?

I want to work both Radios. My HAM is a dual and the second channel is for APRS. I just replaced the CB with the FRS/GMRS. I am use to working two radios on trail runs

On the runs I lead, I talked to the Gunner and few others on HAM and used the FRS radio to chat with the group. Plus I chatted on the HAM with folks on other trails

There was one person on the trail who had the setup you mentioned and he had to change to switch from HAM to FRS and back

Besides, I believe that isnt fully legal
Ah fair enough. I had not thought about APRS

My Btech handheld has two settings so I would use it to monitor both the FRS/GMRS and HAM channels. It can be set to either TX only on one (ie ham) or to TX on the last RX channel. That was kinda the setup I was envisioning to cut the amount of gear

Legality - yes I believe the FCC rules say if you radio is capable of overpowering the FRS/GMRS channel that it’s not an approved device even if you can reduce the TX power to below the limit. To me that rule is like saying you must cover your off-road lights on the highway even if you are not using them - I understand why it exists, but it’s foolish.

This thread needs more updates!

This thread needs more updates!
Thanks for that, but I haven't made any build updates. Everything is working as it should. I'll just post a couple of pictures from some runs since last May

Engineer Pass
Engineer Pass.jpg

Hells Revenge
20220428_104151.jpg

Camping off of Lake Dillon
Screenshot 2022-07-29 090447.jpg

The top of Glacier Mountain
20220726_095014.jpg

Time for an update. The build has been awesome, just some minor tweaking

Rear lights on the Gamiviti rack
View attachment 1469841

I replaced the power outlet for a dual, USB and standard
View attachment 1469846

I swapped my GPS from a Windows Tablet to a Samsung Android Tablet. The research that led me to there is posted here
View attachment 1469848

I joined the Black Grill Club
cruiser-jpg.1450277

And I modified my front skid plate to make oil changes easier. The Fumuto on the Oil drain was awesome and I replaced the filetr cap with Brian's new Cap. I discussed it in this thread and Brians new Oil filter Performance Cap can be found here

img_0099-jpg.1464973

img_0100-jpg.1464974
What a great build... I've been going through this thread! Can't find where or what the new grill is? Last page had the traditional 200 series grill then the new one is now in the pictures. Thanks!

I bought it on ebay

Ill check my archives when I get home. I took the Gobi ladder off as I am having my ARB rear bumper replaced with a Slee Rear bumper.
Romer, Been rummaging through your archives as I am getting ready to get trigger happy on my 2016 200. As you have had the ARB and Slee rear bumpers for substantial amounts of time at this point - what are the pros and cons of each? Which would you buy today and what was the deciding factor? TIA

Romer, Been rummaging through your archives as I am getting ready to get trigger happy on my 2016 200. As you have had the ARB and Slee rear bumpers for substantial amounts of time at this point - what are the pros and cons of each? Which would you buy today and what was the deciding factor? TIA
Hey Oakley,
I would buy the Slee Hands down again. The only advantage the ARB has is price. This is for the model with the tire carrier. The ARB non tgire carrier is one peice

The wings on the ARB with the tire carrier are separate pieces and easily get pushed up. Several times I had to get in there and jam them back down.

The tow hook eyelets on the ARB is in the middle of the bumper and gets hit a lot

I think the Slee has better clearance or maybe it is just the eyelets being in a different spot

I like the tire carrier on the slee more. It has a place for the max tracks and a highlift if you have one. The ARB Tire carrier requires an adapter for the high lift which has to be removed to get the spare tire off. The Slee does not require removal. The ladder on the Slee holds the gas/water can box which came in handy on my last trip to the maze

arb.jpg

Below the bumper you can see the 2nd spare tire I carry
Slee.jpg

Last edited:

After living with a set of Slee bumpers for 19 years, albeit not on a 200, I wouldn't have anything else.

After living with a set of Slee bumpers for 19 years, albeit not on a 200, I wouldn't have anything else.
I agree. That is what I had on my 80 and 100 series. The only reason I bought the ARB was Christo was in a long testing period making sure the design was bullet proof and I didnt want to wait. Silly me :)

It’s definitely the direction I’m leaning. It’s just a large dollar sign to get comfortable with and still have to pay for the jerry can holder and accessories. One of the things I like about it tho is the “modular” system of being able to bolt new things right on.

It’s definitely the direction I’m leaning. It’s just a large dollar sign to get comfortable with and still have to pay for the jerry can holder and accessories. One of the things I like about it tho is the “modular” system of being able to bolt new things right on.
At this point in my life I have come to embrace "buy once, cry once".

At this point in my life I have come to embrace "buy once, cry once".
what he said.

I tried to save $$ with the ARB and was not satisfied which ended up costing more.

You will be happy with the 200 series, built for wheeling. Though it won't go some of the places those custom profit rigs did

Feel free to PM me or give me a call

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom