need help! dealer keeps ordering a wrong snap ring for Viscous coupler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update to an old thread. I ran into this same issue with VC snap ring part not being correct. I bought all 12 listed in the parts diagram. Don't bother buying it. It's unobtainium at this point.

I have one you can have.

When I look closely on my old snap ring it has a faint A or H marking. It pretty much looks like 11 and is 2mm thick.

hey Dan, just took some measurements, the 39022 is 39mm and my original is 34mm. but i just took care of my issue, i went to a local transmission repair shop and the guy found me a new snap ring which is only slightly larger but still fits in the groove on the shaft, the overall diameter is the same. thanks for everybody's time.

A possible answer for posterity. I discovered a snap ring in an Australian catalog that lists a 90520-33020 for a "full time" transfer case. It is described as 2mm in thickness and the part number suggests an inside diameter of 33mm. This may be it. I suppose a used one could measure 34mm. This part number is not live in the US market and I have not been able to Google-fu any photographs of one.

A possible answer for posterity. I discovered a snap ring in an Australian catalog that lists a 90520-33020 for a "full time" transfer case. It is described as 2mm in thickness and the part number suggests an inside diameter of 33mm. This may be it. I suppose a used one could measure 34mm. This part number is not live in the US market and I have not been able to Google-fu any photographs of one.
Thanks Dan.

Hopefully that part number listed will help someone else in the future. Curious if that's the right one.

Now that you have a solution it will probably freeze up. There is no way to service the VC. We toss them in the recycle bin whenever we are in the transfer case.

I added one of these (90520-33020) to a recent order. Here it is compared to an old TCase VC snap ring that's been expanded at least four times in its life:
LandCruiser- TCaseSnapRing-1.jpg

In the above photo, new is on the left, old on the right.
LandCruiser- TCaseSnapRing-2.jpg
LandCruiser- TCaseSnapRing-3.jpg

New on the bottom, old on top.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the photos. Looks like it is the correct part or at least incredibly close and would work.

Thanks for posting the photos. Looks like it is the correct part or at least incredibly close and would work.
I would say it's as perfect a match as you could find within manufacturing tolerances.

Measurements, taken at various spots around the circumference:

Thickness: old 2.0mm, new 2.01 - 2.03mm

Width: old 3.44 - 3.5mm, new 3.44 - 3.5mm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom