1uz mated to 4 speed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No, it has stock gearing

4.1 on 33" tyres ?
That is what I have and I am thinking because those motors are so revvy gearing should be shorter to 4.56 or even 4.88 ?

Been looking for this combination for a while. Great job on the build!

Any update?
Thanks. It drives great. No problems so far, I may end up pulling the trans to adjust the throw out bearing spacing. It makes a little noise at idle with the clutch out. Love the 1uz. Cruising at highway speeds is no problem

I have completed this swap in my 1976 fj40 project and I thought I would provide the part numbers I cobbled together and what I did to make it work.

The parts list is as follows:
Engine from 1992 sc400
Oem Lexus bellhousing from junkyard (my engine didn’t have one)
Clutch : 80-83 Jeep cj5 clutch disc from rockauto. This matches the 11 spline input shaft and fits within the confines of the mr2 pressure plate.
Flywheel : this part is key to the rest of the parts working, I started with this and then sourced parts that would work with it. It is from xat racing. XAT OEM Style 1UZ V8 Flywheel
Pressure plate : 2nd gen (92) mr2 turbo rockauto part # 98725
Hydraulic throw out bearing : Summit racing RAM-78136
adapter fitting : RUS-640510
Extension hose : EAR-63010114erl
Adapter plate : my truck previously had an adapter plate for an sbc swap so I modified the one I had.
Thrust bearing : Rock auto Dorman 690047
Engine mounts : I rewelded the perches that were already installed from the sbc swap and used some generic pick style mounts. My drivetrain was already moved back from the sbc conversion and it uses the AA crossmember in the rear.
I've got this same project, but somewhat different parts. The piece that is killing me is the clutch disc. The CJ5 I see are 10 3/8. measuring my flywheel, I get a max of 10", and the pressure plate 98725 is 9 3/8. Do you have a part number on the clutch disc? All the 80-83 CJ5 disc are 10 3/8, and there is no way that will even fit the flywheel. OK, I think I figured it out. There are two clutches for that year jeep. One is 10 3/8 the other is 9 1/8, but of course just the disc is not listed right now, but looks like it is included in the LUK 01001 kit...

Last edited:
I've got this same project, but somewhat different parts. The piece that is killing me is the clutch disc. The CJ5 I see are 10 3/8. measuring my flywheel, I get a max of 10", and the pressure plate 98725 is 9 3/8. Do you have a part number on the clutch disc? All the 80-83 CJ5 disc are 10 3/8, and there is no way that will even fit the flywheel.
Look for the 4 cylinder cj5’s, they should have the correct dimensions.

Is the hydraulic throwout a straight fit for the h55f ?
I selected one by measuring the input shaft, which may be different on an h55. They do require a hole for the alignment pin so I had to drill and tap a hole in the adapter plate.

Look for the 4 cylinder cj5’s, they should have the correct dimensions.
I finally figured that out. RockAuto only has kits, unfortunately. I came across this one (Amazon), which is a ACT 3000801 that is supposed to fit that application. It fits the flywheel perfectly, and has 10 splines that are close, but it looks like the tooth profile is different. Did you do any filing or did it just fit?

I finally figured that out. RockAuto only has kits, unfortunately. I came across this one (Amazon), which is a ACT 3000801 that is supposed to fit that application. It fits the flywheel perfectly, and has 10 splines that are close, but it looks like the tooth profile is different. Did you do any filing or did it just fit?
I didn’t need to modify it

Well.. if not for bad luck I wouldn't have any. I have both the H55F and the H42. Both take the same clutch, so the input shafts should be identical. The H55F is a drop in for the H42 (input shaft wise anyway), and I know since I did it. Also, the flywheel that fits this engine for those who want to know is from a 1990 Toyota 4Runner 3.0L, LUK LFW196. I'm guessing the flywheel you ordered from XAT had oblong holes for the flywheel bolts, which means they took this $50 flywheel and did some machining on it. You have to mill the holes out about .063, then mill down the the mounting surface and the outside of the flywheel at the front of the flywheel. I bought the LUK LFW196, then one from Oddesy Fab, and they had done the exact same thing I was planning on doing, i.e. the 3 milling operations. I can post dimensions for those that have a mill/rotary table and/or lathe.
My route involves going with a W58 bell housing from Akina Motorsports in Tempe AZ, then adding a 3/4 bell housing adapter from the W58 to the H55F/H42. BTW, that bell housing is the heaviest bell housing I've ever seen. Very well built for $475.

I have a MR2 pressure plate somewhere on a truck to verify that fits that 4Runner flywheel, and I will keep searching for that elusive clutch disk!!

Update: I found the clutch disc! It is a crown J8132577, it and slides on the shaft. I can also confirm that the M_PACT 98725 pressure plate fits the LUK FW196 flywheel.
I also called M-PACT, and they did not have info on the 98725, but said typically it's 25% more than needed by the application.
They did say their 98725-HD is 2200 lbs.
I've found other forums who say stock is 1820 per ACT.

A recount from here:MR2 Forum:
3SGTE stock 1820lbs (confirmed with ACT)
Exedy Stage 2 2090lbs
Competetion Clutch Stage 2 to 5 2200lbs
ACT HD - 2400 lbs clamp load (confirmed with ACT)
ACT Xtreme - 2800 lbs clamp load (confirmed with ACT)
ACT MAXX Xtreme - ???? lbs clamp load (ACT support desk couldn't give me a figure )

I have 3 applications. A 2UZ-FE into a rock crawler with the H55F (I have both the transmission and the 2UZ-FE)
A 3UZ-FE into a daily driver with either the H55F or the 4 speed.
A 1UZ-FE turbocharged with a 2006 350Z 6 speed transmission mated to a Landcruiser FJ55 rear axle in a 1978 Toyota Corona with a speeduino running it::
Github Speeduino Build
I currently have all the engines, transmissions, and axles and I am still trying to figure out the clutches for all these. I will update this thread as I find out more.

I can't tell you, effjay76, how much I appreciate you route finding this thing!

Update: I found the clutch disc! It is a crown J8132577, it and slides on the shaft. I can also confirm that the M_PACT 98725 pressure plate fits the LUK FW196 flywheel.
I also called M-PACT, and they did not have info on the 98725, but said typically it's 25% more than needed by the application.

Exedy Stage 2 2090lbs
ACT MAXX Xtreme - ???? lbs clamp load (ACT support desk couldn't give me a figure )

I have 3 applications. A 2UZ-FE into a rock crawler with the H55F (I have both the transmission and the 2UZ-FE)
A 1UZ-FE turbocharged with a 2006 350Z 6 speed transmission mated to a Landcruiser FJ55 rear axle in a 1978 Toyota Corona with a speeduino running it::
Github Speeduino Build
I currently have all the engines, transmissions, and axles and I am still trying to figure out the clutches for all these. I will update this thread as I find out more.

Thanks for taking the time to share this info.

Sounds like you have some pretty cool projects in the works!

Rather than continue hijacking your thread, I started a new one.

This is great, thanks for the info. I have been secretly worrying the clutch slip is because the 4 cyl Jeep clutch is over worked with the heavier truck and higher speeds, or even the disc width isn’t allowing full engagement. Good to have an alternative! Cheers

Exedy Stage 2 2090lbs

Github Speeduino Build

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom