What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (45 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bought it! 1970 FJ40. 1F 3 speed floor shift, Holley EFI. Excited to start the father son project!

EFA14A85-44FA-43E3-9F16-0EDF92CD0583.jpeg

9F1BE828-B2D9-4A03-9B59-E986E68189E3.jpeg

B8F270BB-4344-4EBD-9A2B-BC456BE459D4.jpeg

376A22C8-9927-4BEA-A2C3-1BDD850A886A.jpeg

IMG_3123.jpeg

I didn't think I would ever have the correct rear heater, when they come up for sale they are usually the older 2 speed kind, with the 2 wire connector. But @baldboy posted one up in the classifieds the other day, and I took him up on the offer. Excellent seller! Heater showed up Wednesday, so I couldn't go to work on Thursday, I had to call in sick. This one was in great shape for a 44 year old heater, I would say. But one does not simply plug in a 44 year old fan motor:

HeaterMotor.jpg

Look at the beautiful plating still left perfect on that fan blade! The motor was stiff, so I pulled it apart and gave it some TLC. There are felts in there that soaked up some machine oil and then I placed some grease in the bottom ball and socket looking area. I wonder if that is supposed to be a bearing? If so it is seized, but it rides in that socket on the layer of grease that I put in there. On assembly, it spins nice and smooth, but still kind of stiff spinning by hand:
HeaterMotorSpin.jpg

I touched up a few rough and rusty areas and then hit it with some self etching primer, followed by some Duplicolor Stainless Steel. But I masked off this stamp that was still visible so it didn't get covered up:
HeaterPartNum.jpg

HeaterPaint.jpg

All in all, not bad for a day's work. I blew out the dirt and hair from the core, and put everything together in it's forever home. There's still work to do to it, but tomorrow my FJ40 will go to a car show with a rear heater for the first time. :) Also, Winter is Coming! And I am a wuss about the cold, so I'm ready to try this puppy out!
HeaterHome.jpg

Dang, my ride is Dirty! Didn't see that till I looked at this picture! LOL Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Got the in tank pump figured out (I think) on the 55. Some riv-nuts and sealer should do the trick. I dropped the tank about 1 1/3" on spacers and lengthened bolts to clear the pump hardware. So far so good. Just gotta wire the rest of the sniper up.

Pulled the cowl to look for leaks/hardware/rust/wildlife. Surprised I didn't find much of any of that.

IMG20221019160404.jpg

IMG20221020195155.jpg

IMG20221028141931.jpg

IMG20221028141935.jpg

IMG20221028141922.jpg

Do you have a source for that driver extension kit?
Classic Cruisers. I'll say, I found some threads on here that give some pretty detailed DYI projects that accomplish the same thing. If I'd been a little on point, I could have saved some money. Google "FJ40 Seat Extension" and read what's there before you spend the money. If the work is in your wheelhouse, you'll be happy. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom