FJ40 Cross-Country Expedition: Will YOU join us??? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ah yes, I knew DSRTRDR is in the Phoenix area, I didn’t know if I missed a briefcase on the move. I’ll be in Phoenix in a month. I could grab it, take it to the Baja 1000 with us and then get it to the museum.
It looks like the new baton might be heading to SLC in November. Can you take it from there to Baja?

It looks like it might not go through SLC but will be in Palm Springs Nov 9th and 10th. I'd love to make some connections so it can make it to Baja with you but not sure how. I'll let you know the plans when I know more.
Thanks

It looks like it might not go through SLC but will be in Palm Springs Nov 9th and 10th. I'd love to make some connections so it can make it to Baja with you but not sure how. I'll let you know the plans when I know more.
Thanks

I can help make the leg between SLC and AZ or NM if it ends up around there.

The new briefcase was successfully handed off today in Seattle, heading to the museum in SLC for a hand off. Details will be posted in the part deux thread.

The red tool box baton is clearly visible in this photo taken February 18, 2018.

If you can find it I'll tell you some news about imminent movement of said baton.
DSC_1259.jpg

Yeah. I am the hoarder who has been sitting on this baton for ever.

Wasn't on purpose, life just gets in the way sometimes. Since that winter trip up to Fort McMurray my 42 has not left the province. In fact it was parked at a friend's acreage for nearly two years. Then kids sports and the global shutdown and working for a living blah, blah, blah

here is a hint:
DSC_1152.jpg

And a closeup for our old eyes:
DSC_1257.jpg

Ok, so, the first trip in a looooong time for me in the BJ42 is happening this coming Saturday. Myself, some fellow RMLCA club members and guests are headed from here (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) to the general vicinity of Waco TX. Main purpose of the trip is viewing the solar eclipse and hitting some sights along the way. The baton will accompany me in the 42. This trip will basically transect the 48 states north to south so any number of handoff opportunities could be possible. My current plan barring anyone speaking up here is dropping it off at the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum. The trouble with that is getting in there as we anticipate being in Salt Lake this Sunday. A club member is/was/has intended to try and contact @cruiseroutfit Kurt to negotiate access however this is super short notice and he's a busy guy on a long weekend - near impossible task really.

This baton has seen Texas already and should really go East however my main concern is to not have it in my possession when I cross the border northbound in a couple weeks. I have enough guilt over not keeping it moving that if I see another 40 anywhere I'm going to throw it at them (no disrespect to the baton).

Here is another shot from that winter trip. @arnott1t had some issue with the front left wheel on the Troopy (center frame)
DSC_1236.jpg

Nice seeing 40’s in their natural element!

Way too much white in those pictures 🥶

Ok, so, the first trip in a looooong time for me in the BJ42 is happening this coming Saturday. Myself, some fellow RMLCA club members and guests are headed from here (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) to the general vicinity of Waco TX. Main purpose of the trip is viewing the solar eclipse and hitting some sights along the way. The baton will accompany me in the 42. This trip will basically transect the 48 states north to south so any number of handoff opportunities could be possible. My current plan barring anyone speaking up here is dropping it off at the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum. The trouble with that is getting in there as we anticipate being in Salt Lake this Sunday. A club member is/was/has intended to try and contact @cruiseroutfit Kurt to negotiate access however this is super short notice and he's a busy guy on a long weekend - near impossible task really.

This baton has seen Texas already and should really go East however my main concern is to not have it in my possession when I cross the border northbound in a couple weeks. I have enough guilt over not keeping it moving that if I see another 40 anywhere I'm going to throw it at them (no disrespect to the baton).

Here is another shot from that winter trip. @arnott1t had some issue with the front left wheel on the Troopy (center frame)
View attachment 3591778

What time will y'all be through SLC on Sunday?

Yeah, it was cold.

Leaving the hotel the first day headed to the trail I hear a call on the radio, "...is Kevin's truck on fire?"

Unbeknownst to me I had a cloud of steam following me 20 feet long - couldn't see it myself due to the frosted windows. My rad was frozen and not flowing and the 3B had made enough heat to blow steam out from somewhere. No damage done - the Oil Country Cruisers crew that held the event took care of me like an F1 pit crew. I blinked and there were two fresh jugs of antifreeze handed to me and away we went. Took about 45min but by the time we hit the first trail I had heat in the cab.
20180218_085243.jpg

20180218_085236.jpg

the crew the first day

IMG_5582.jpg

I am not too sure, @Behemoth60 Peter is the lead on this one. It's 17 hours to SLC from here and we've done it in one go before but we will be stopping somewhere overnight this time. Leaving Sat am early... I will ping Peter direct and see what he thinks

I am not too sure, @Behemoth60 Peter is the lead on this one. It's 17 hours to SLC from here and we've done it in one go before but we will be stopping somewhere overnight this time. Leaving Sat am early... I will ping Peter direct and see what he thinks

@cruiseroutfit , I just sent you a direct message here on MUD but the jist of it is;

texting with @Behemoth60 about the itinerary and the plan currently is to stop in Idaho Falls Saturday night and then SLC Sunday. That would put us mid afternoon likely in SLC. A Sunday night stay in the SLC area is not out of the question and maybe even advisable. Meaning a Monday morning could work too

I don't want to impose or assume but we can keep in contact once we roll out for sure!

If you find yourself heading south of Missoula on 93 hit me up, cold beer is on me, I’m going to assume that you’re going to cruise down 15 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom