What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you!

I bought her before I found this place. Gorgeous, but, it was a polished turd... fresh coat of champagne metallic paint and re-applied woody vinyl. Within a year, the paint started bubbling in all of the usual places. I just drove it and let it go. In the early summer of 2021, I realized that if I didn't intervene my 62 would be a pile of rubble.

It's our farm truck, so a shiny new paint job seemed like a stupid waste of money. Tore her apart, cut out all of the rot, welded in new steel, and then applied the Monstaliner. Finally, got her "finished" yesterday. She's my daily driver, and we also wheel her. The Monstaliner held up brilliantly... no pin-striping. A 10k paint job would have been ruined.
man from the photos you cant even tell you did any rust repair or patch welding. If you didnt say anything, woulda never known!

So I worked on my desert rat 84 FJ60 over the weekend. Something is suspect with my charcoal canister and my carburetor float. This morning I dropped my son off at school and I'm driving my 2011 Prius. It is pretty early so I am heading back to the house. It is still dark at 0715 and I'm thinking about what I want to do next on the landcruiser. All the sudden a vehicle passes me on the left and it's my vehicle! A tan FJ60! Except the paint and body is immaculate, and it is actually in working order. So hello to whoever was driving east on HW102 between Centerton and Bentonville early this morning!

So I worked on my desert rat 84 FJ60 over the weekend. Something is suspect with my charcoal canister and my carburetor float. This morning I dropped my son off at school and I'm driving my 2011 Prius. It is pretty early so I am heading back to the house. It is still dark at 0715 and I'm thinking about what I want to do next on the landcruiser. All the sudden a vehicle passes me on the left and it's my vehicle! A tan FJ60! Except the paint and body is immaculate, and it is actually in working order. So hello to whoever was driving east on HW102 between Centerton and Bentonville early this morning!
Reading that scared the tar out of me! I thought we’d be reading another “Stolen 60” thread… lol.

Glad for the happy ending.

man from the photos you cant even tell you did any rust repair or patch welding. If you didnt say anything, woulda never known!
Thank you!

After getting quotes from several shops, just for welding, no paint (4k minimum), I gave it a go myself. It’s not perfect, but that’s ok!

If I showed you my franken-frame, you’d lol.

Finally got some time to continue my AFI install. Wire harness is routed and 90% installed. Used the idle cut circuit for my 12 volt engine on source, starter solenoid wire is used as the crank signal, battery positive, and engine block ground are all the wiring connections that need to be made. The remainder of the connections are plug and play, water temp sensor replaces the vacuum sensor in the water neck, fuel pump to new fuel pump, TBI connections, MAP sensor and O2 sensor. The MAP sensor is remote and will mount on the firewall. It has a vacuum source from the back of TBI. O2 sensor will need a bung welded into the down pipe. The black box on the passenger firewall controls spark/timing. The ECM is mounted inside the cab on the drivers side kick panel. I will use factory GM throttle cable from a S10. Gas peddle already has a spot for the cable for the hand throttle option. Once I get everything routed and hooked up I can clean up the wiring and build some brackets to secure it. Also using an air cleaner assembly from a S10 to get rid of the giant factory air cleaner.

1666726658565.png

Man its crazy how much of a difference adding the rear speakers adds. I just did the same in mine with 6.5s in the back, new door speakers and an amp and its like a whole new vehicle.
Silly question, but how are you running door speakers if you didn't have them factory? Did you route the wires along the door sills and then drill into the door? I guess the 62 would have factory grommets for those door holes.

Silly question, but how are you running door speakers if you didn't have them factory? Did you route the wires along the door sills and then drill into the door? I guess the 62 would have factory grommets for those door holes.

The easiest way would be to get the cargo panels from the 62 and speaker brackets and covers. I just used the fj62 speaker brackets and cut my own holes and used alpine speaker grilles. Tbh you could pretty easily make your own speaker brackets too, the fj62 ones were kind of a pain to get to work. I routed the wires under my carpet along the doorsills then crossed behind the hump that the front 2 brackets that the front seats rest on to my amp under the driver seat. Since its all under the carpet, you cant see anything and it looks pretty clean besides the dog hair.

r4jWb7lh.jpg

AmC0z68h.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to add - a nice surprise was included in my order - an insulated travel cup (as shown above). Am pretty happy with that!
I have a pair also waiting on the shelf for when my 62 gets home to me… what modification was necessary?

@Silveredition hugely envious of the armrests and your vent windows— I can imagine shipping them to the states is wildly expensive but how pleasant they must be to use

Nabbed some free wood today from a family whose son buys roaches from me for his bearded dragon… my girl is getting it done.

A9FFCDDF-A0EA-429F-A40B-13F72E4ADBC1.jpeg

949842B5-BFCA-499C-A9BF-D995896F2289.jpeg

AB6FF8A3-5F59-44A8-AB31-E0CE5A6A2569.png

The easiest way would be to get the cargo panels from the 62 and speaker brackets and covers. I just used the fj62 speaker brackets and cut my own holes and used alpine speaker grilles. Tbh you could pretty easily make your own speaker brackets too, the fj62 ones were kind of a pain to get to work. I routed the wires under my carpet along the doorsills then crossed behind the hump that the front 2 brackets that the front seats rest on to my amp under the driver seat. Since its all under the carpet, you cant see anything and it looks pretty clean besides the dog hair.

r4jWb7lh.jpg

AmC0z68h.jpg
That little extension you made for the speaker mounts is exactly what I needed to see. I recently installed some of those and wondered how to not have them dangle. Drove to NH w/ them like that and thankfully there was no irritating vibration but I need to make a couple of them. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom