Opinions/Input on HE Purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, recently joined the forums here as a 4R owner who is now considering purchasing a 2020-2021 HE LC. I have it narrowed down to 3 at the moment and wanted some enthusiast and possibly "expert" opinions on the matter as I am currently having a hard time coming to terms with a decision.

2020 model with 30k miles, have the dealer down to $86k plus ttl. However this one has a blemish on the carfax. One accident was reported shortly after the original owner took delivery. Dealers story is that it was a minor bump in a parking lot where the first owner had to have the rear bumper repainted. I asked for supporting docs/invoice/bom from that body shop but they don't have that info and it doesn't sound like the original owner does either.

The other two I have inquired about are a 2020 model with 25k miles, dealer won't budge on $98k, and a 2021 with 1,200 miles at a whopping $116k.

I've all but written off the one with the accident report due to uncertainty on what exactly happened and what repairs were made. Of the other two I am mainly asking if it's really worth the premium on a lower mileage truck vs one that is ever so slightly broken in.

Do you have so much disposable income to pay $12K+ just because of a fender bender?
I would just get the $86K into a good body shop for a proper inspection. Your eyes may not see what a trained eye can. If they say the repair is good then I'll just buy that and move on to enjoying my new ride.

Do you have so much disposable income to pay $12K+ just because of a fender bender?
I would just get the $86K into a good body shop for a proper inspection. Your eyes may not see what a trained eye can. If they say the repair is good then I'll just buy that and move on to enjoying my new ride.
Yea I do, I'm in a very fortunate situation with regards to my business and trade equity on my 4R. I'm also single, no kids, no wife, etc and no plans for either of those in the immediate future haha.

Then I think you have your answer: the last one that is practically new. I saw new cars with more miles than that.

Dealers always say it was a minor fender bender. And it was owned by an old lady who only drove it to church on Sundays, and never in the rain or snowy roads. Kept in a heated garage and only driven on sunny days. Don't trust anything a dealer says.

I think it would be stupid to pay over retail for a used 200. We bought 200 series Heritage series for new for less than your lowest offered price on these used vehicles.

None of them are a "good" idea or a remotely fair deal But, if you can afford it, do whatever makes you happy.

Dealers always say it was a minor fender bender. And it was owned by an old lady who only drove it to church on Sundays, and never in the rain or snowy roads. Kept in a heated garage and only driven on sunny days. Don't trust anything a dealer says.

I think it would be stupid to pay over retail for a used 200. We bought 200 series Heritage series for new for less than your lowest offered price on these used vehicles.

None of them are a "good" idea or a remotely fair deal But, if you can afford it, do whatever makes you happy.
I share the same sentiment as you on all points and typically would not pay over MSRP on something new, let alone used just on principal alone. I didn't get where I am today by making bad financial decisions that's for sure. However the LC may end up being my exception to the rule being that they are no longer offered here in the states. I just don't see them ever going down in value to a point where what I am after (a 2 row HE) can be had for less than original MSRP. I would love to be proven wrong but ya, I just don't see it happening even when the rest of the car market corrects itself.

IMHO cars are a depreciating asset outside of exotics, and hoping or planning for little to no correction as a basis for purchase is (again, my opinion) flawed. If money is no concern, buy the nicest model you can locate / afford.

OR

Unless you're in the position of having to buy something immediately, perhaps sit tight until the "right" deal comes along? Economy is going to get worse and cash is going to be king again, especially for high end used vehicles.

Also, there has been some rumblings about bringing the new LC 300 to the states out of Japan. At this point its conjecture / hearsay / bullsh*t - but it's there and could happen at some point. Then, the question would be around the V8 vs TTV6 relative to which is more coveted.

Best of luck in your search!

Yea I do, I'm in a very fortunate situation with regards to my business and trade equity on my 4R. I'm also single, no kids, no wife, etc and no plans for either of those in the immediate future haha.
Go with the low miles ‘21 if you aren’t too concerned about the money.

Everyone on here will say that you should not over pay, but is your money. Do what you want. Life is short…

Do a little negotiating and go enjoy the LC you decide on. Post some pics of it, go wheel it like crazy and have some fun.

IMHO cars are a depreciating asset outside of exotics, and hoping or planning for little to no correction as a basis for purchase is (again, my opinion) flawed. If money is no concern, buy the nicest model you can locate / afford.

OR

Unless you're in the position of having to buy something immediately, perhaps sit tight until the "right" deal comes along? Economy is going to get worse and cash is going to be king again, especially for high end used vehicles.

Also, there has been some rumblings about bringing the new LC 300 to the states out of Japan. At this point its conjecture / hearsay / bullsh*t - but it's there and could happen at some point. Then, the question would be around the V8 vs TTV6 relative to which is more coveted.

Best of luck in your search!
I appreciate your insight. If I’m being honest with myself my heart is on the nicest/lowest mileage one I can find but I would like a fair deal.

I too have heard similar rumors about the LC coming back to the states but in name only, not necessarily the same platform. If we ended up with some sort of FJ Cruiser style Jeep/Bronco competitor named as the “U.S. Land Cruiser” I’d probably pass as I prefer the nature of the current/past models where in you have the daily driver comforts and practicality of a SUV along with rugged and reliable off road chops.

If both of the non-accident cruisers are equally clean, then you're not going to notice the difference between them despite the little bit of difference in mileage. So why not save the almost $20k and go with the one with slightly fewer miles? Are there any aesthetic difference you enjoy more about the 2021, like the color, side mirrors (that's when they went to all-black mirrors, right?), or anything else?

Although, there certainly is something to the idea of knowing you're the only person to put all the miles on a vehicle, so that's worth something for sure.

Reactions: BVE
You already know what it will be IF it comes to US. Take a look at the other markets and see if you like it more than 2021 US. You do not need to wait for that.
And that brings us to the depreciation of the last US model. There will not be apple to apple comparison like in the past due to the dramatically changed platform and engine. People that love the V8 will be willing to pay for the old one.
There is also the question of the new one being Japan or US based. Any Toyota owner that owns a Japan made Toyota will tell you how much better they are.
If I would have your money and no family kids and all that I would buy what I want. Life goes up and down, today you're on top, but the future is unknown. Ten years from now you may regret not going for what you like. The future is not V8 either, not even V6, or at least not on petrol .

There's also the question of how the OP intends to use it. Or modify it. Or keep it in a sealed bubble for the next person to enjoy.

The pramagtist in me finds value and joy in actually using vehicles. For my own indulgence. It's special because what it can do rather than what it is.

That may not be a useful lens for someone who probably is looking at it differently if they're shopping for a late model HE. I personally would lean towards one of the paper unblemished examples, especially for that kind of money, because it's integral to the value there.

If both of the non-accident cruisers are equally clean, then you're not going to notice the difference between them despite the little bit of difference in mileage. So why not save the almost $20k and go with the one with slightly fewer miles? Are there any aesthetic difference you enjoy more about the 2021, like the color, side mirrors (that's when they went to all-black mirrors, right?), or anything else?

Although, there certainly is something to the idea of knowing you're the only person to put all the miles on a vehicle, so that's worth something for sure.
The two “clean” ones are both black, 2 row HE’s. RMR 4x4 has them (one of them is not listed). Bone stock… just one has been driven 24k miles which works out to $750 additional per each 1k less on the odometer

The other one is white, has some Slee sliders, front level, ridge grapplers, window tint. Basically all my mods already done. Again, just not knowing the extent of the accident, not sure I can rest easy on that.

There's also the question of how the OP intends to use it. Or modify it. Or keep it in a sealed bubble for the next person to enjoy.

The pramagtist in me finds value and joy in actually using vehicles. For my own indulgence. It's special because what it can do rather than what it is.

That may not be a useful lens for someone who probably is looking at it differently if they're shopping for a late model HE. I personally would lean towards one of the paper unblemished examples, especially for that kind of money, because it's integral to the value there.
I’m planning on driving it for sure. It won’t live out its days in my garage. Most of the time sitting in traffic around Dallas along with the occasional road trip.

Go for the big daddy expensive one with low miles. I'll help you install your grom. Or take a look at this one...I've been drooling since he posted it. What a rig.

For Sale - 2021 Heritage Edition / TC & King Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2021-heritage-edition-tc-king-build.1254440/
That thing looks amazing and is what I had in mind for mine. I’d imagine it’s sold by now being that he posted that over a year ago. Still worth a DM I suppose…

That thing looks amazing and is what I had in mind for mine. I’d imagine it’s sold by now being that he posted that over a year ago. Still worth a DM I suppose…

Yeah, that one seems like the best deal. And if you go to the last page of the listing's comments, you'll see that it was still for sale as of last month!

I will just say. I also live in DFW, so you presumably know about drivers in Dallas.
I bought new a in 2017. I took care to make sure I did not put mine in any sort of jeapardy.

1st a coach from my son's middle school backed into mine in a parking lot. He admitted fault at the scene, I was not happy but everyone has accidents and makes mistakes and it was a minor accident. Then he tried to claim I hit him (the SOB), I filed on my insurance. They paid, arbtration between the insurance companies. 100% on him. Still a PITA.

Then, a "lady" from the "southern" sector of our fair city cut across three lanes of traffic on 75, side swiping the front of my LC. She had no insurance, surprise surprise. I again filed on my insurance. They paid and pursued her. Judgement no recovery.

Neither accident was a big accident, neither was my fault and both left my LC drivable without any repairs but repairs were made at time when convenient for me (the second one was delay waiting for an ARB front bumper and some other mods I wanted to do while it was in the shop).

Just saying if you are going to use it. Even if you are careful, other idiots are out there and will hit you.

I would get the least expensive one looked at by a qualified body shop and if they ok it, then I would go with it regardless of my ability to pay for the more expensive ones. Comfortable people get rich by getting things at a better price, rich people stay rich by not over paying. Just my thoughts.

Then again, its your money and Lord knows I have probably made some purchases that you might say you would not make. The only one who we have to justify our expenses to are most importantly the person in the mirror.

I will just say. I also live in DFW, so you presumably know about drivers in Dallas.
I bought new a in 2017. I took care to make sure I did not put mine in any sort of jeapardy.

1st a coach from my son's middle school backed into mine in a parking lot. He admitted fault at the scene, I was not happy but everyone has accidents and makes mistakes and it was a minor accident. Then he tried to claim I hit him (the SOB), I filed on my insurance. They paid, arbtration between the insurance companies. 100% on him. Still a PITA.

Then, a "lady" from the "southern" sector of our fair city cut across three lanes of traffic on 75, side swiping the front of my LC. She had no insurance, surprise surprise. I again filed on my insurance. They paid and pursued her. Judgement no recovery.

Neither accident was a big accident, neither was my fault and both left my LC drivable without any repairs but repairs were made at time when convenient for me (the second one was delay waiting for an ARB front bumper and some other mods I wanted to do while it was in the shop).

Just saying if you are going to use it. Even if you are careful, other idiots are out there and will hit you.

I would get the least expensive one looked at by a qualified body shop and if they ok it, then I would go with it regardless of my ability to pay for the more expensive ones. Comfortable people get rich by getting things at a better price, rich people stay rich by not over paying. Just my thoughts.

Then again, its your money and Lord knows I have probably made some purchases that you might say you would not make. The only one who we have to justify our expenses to are most importantly the person in the mirror.
I am born and raised here and unfortunately ever vehicle I have ever owned has at one point or another been involved in at the very least a minor mishap. I was at fault at a younger age and now that I've straightened up it's been the fault of others in more recent years. SO MANY careless and moronic drivers around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom