Builds Pigpen 🐷 an HDJ80 LHD Ute (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ilike where this is going 👍

Can you lose the little piece of the rear door window channel and keep the ¼ window a little bigger?

So much cutting, fitting, testing, measuring.

Obviously we started with a big chunk of the arse. We did that on purpose, cut, fit, cut more, ect ect.

It’s a bit of a “freestyle” here. We know how we want it to look finished, getting there is the labor.

Let’s see how it evolves, one thing we are really trying to do here is retain the inner structure on the “C” pillar. We were so not into a cut it straight, cap it flat with a piece of sheet metal and call it good with some box tube and angle iron on the inside. At the same time trying to not get to crazy here and spend 500hrs making it look “factory”.

Not exactly sure what you mean, like I say let’s let it play out. It is definitely going to be a mix of factory body pieces and fabrication. We already know the “corners” of the cab we will be forming.

Cheers

So much cutting, fitting, testing, measuring.

Obviously we started with a big chunk of the arse. We did that on purpose, cut, fit, cut more, ect ect.

It’s a bit of a “freestyle” here. We know how we want it to look finished, getting there is the labor.

Let’s see how it evolves, one thing we are really trying to do here is retain the inner structure on the “C” pillar. We were so not into a cut it straight, cap it flat with a piece of sheet metal and call it good with some box tube and angle iron on the inside. At the same time trying to not get to crazy here and spend 500hrs making it look “factory”.

Not exactly sure what you mean, like I say let’s let it play out. It is definitely going to be a mix of factory body pieces and fabrication. We already know the “corners” of the cab we will be forming.

Cheers

Yeah, I like this approach you'll end up with a much more "meant to be" look versus flat panels and box tube.

The B pillar area would possibly look less cluttered / cleaner without the redundant rear door frame, and a piece of glass glue bonded into the opening, spray the front door frame black.

Anyway, I know it's early days, and you have a lot of cutting, shaping, forming etc ahead, and there's any number of ways to skin a cat.

Definitely keen to watch this progress.

Yeah, I like this approach you'll end up with a much more "meant to be" look versus flat panels and box tube.

The B pillar area would possibly look less cluttered / cleaner without the redundant rear door frame, and a piece of glass glue bonded into the opening, spray the front door frame black.

Anyway, I know it's early days, and you have a lot of cutting, shaping, forming etc ahead, and there's any number of ways to skin a cat.

Definitely keen to watch this progress.

I think I get what you are saying. It is all getting “skinned” though. There won’t be those body line gaps around the the extra-cab window when finished. We are also planning a way to drop the extra cab window down and out. So if it breaks it can be replaced, sorta similar to how Toyota designed it in the back of the rear door.

I think we may also be putting a big bend in the cab back. You can see when set in there it is kicked out on the bottom. We are thinking about putting a break in it below the window that makes it kick inward.

Like I say, this is freestyling it and is our first chop so also a figuring it out build. We want to keep the “bubble” look without overdoing it.

Cheers

Last edited:
Some more cut and fit, just getting started really.

41FD19F8-8356-417D-851B-FF916A927E23.jpeg

AAABC5CA-B1ED-4F66-91B2-8AE0FE5836C2.jpeg

F8AFB5B6-823D-4EA3-A0A3-8978AA44B5A0.jpeg

You get the idea? 😉🤷🏼‍♂️

C9FF77A4-5943-41BE-8CE3-15FE7F4D8249.jpeg

Cheers

I’ve always wanted to see a bench seat in the front of an 80! What’s that seat from?

I’ve always wanted to see a bench seat in the front of an 80!

In some markets, 80's came with bench seats, see here:

d5d0e8d1-bd0b-4d87-bffb-2eb57bd43813.jpg

Under the camo seat covers, it's a split bench. (no console) For reference, it's in an HZJ80.

Bumping my build thread. 😋

Totally have neglected this build as far as labor. Just have not had time or a bay in the shop to work on it. However I do plan to get the body finished this winter.

The rest of it? Well I have some engine rebuild parts, need more. I do have an H152 fully rebuilt now with upgraded 5th gear. I also have a tcase with crawler gears and part time.

I would like to get my hands on a good rust free frame to hack up, dead ends so far on that. I am definitely stretching the wheelbase.

Here are some pics of an 80 chassis we just stretched 14”, I don’t plan to stretch that much on this build.

CD947EC6-4919-43B2-A686-1BD82A1E01CB.jpeg
363D0150-DCB6-4D66-B264-9F9840815A0E.jpeg

457E94EC-551F-4E7E-812C-478931B65005.jpeg

BE0EA699-612D-4EB8-BFA8-854D9B2A32C1.jpeg

Axles, suspension and wheels/tires needed to do much chassis building. That is ALL expensive so I will just have to pick away at these parts as I can.

Cheers

Got some bays available right now in the shop so we pulled the 🐖 in.

C06284E0-7139-4C37-9C42-33773F23D5D6.jpeg
0B2218EF-2AE0-43AF-9A73-8B642D446271.jpeg

I forgot that I had bought the mid cab back support/reinforcement panel. 😑

Starting to play with fitting the 79-series cab back while bays are available. I plan to have the cab sorted by spring so I better get after it!

Cheers

Did I mention yet I am going sliding 79-series rear window? 😋

Parts being acquired for that here and there lately.

I also love how the HVAC controls in this 80 are PP. That means no servo motors and it is all cable controlled. I have a new OEM blower motor for the HVAC system but need to buy as much of the rest of it as I can, before it is all long gone.

Cheers

thanks for the update. I've been watching this one for a long time. The cab back is cool!

How does that 79 cab back fit the cut out space?

Finding something that works and looks factory seems to be a challenge and where a lot of these ute builds fall short. This looks promising and I'm sure it will live up to the high quality work you do.

It fits pretty good, we will still have the cap the sides. I have DC 79 vents to fit as well to the back of the cab.

I like that it is Land Cruiser parts and I get a sweet rear sliding window.

Cheers

Cut & fit a sheet metal flange.

675A6C96-915A-4A9D-A674-1A7FEBF2BE20.jpeg

8909BFD9-3AD1-4857-9E33-0010E02276D6.jpeg

Spot weld bottom back of 79-series cab back to the flange. Just getting started here but now the cab back is sitting in place.

AE133CA7-8E31-49BC-8B1E-6C253D24708B.jpeg

0A943327-2AC1-4007-8201-B8C571B2B35B.jpeg

2CF8D242-816C-4EEB-BEE2-6341A7609BCF.jpeg

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom