Builds Billy's excellent FJ73-12HT - resto-modded - n that (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did a 4 hour drive out west for a couple of nights camping and to watch some classic cars race around a small town. Mainly pub meals, local bands and snoring in a swag.

0579DB57-302C-42DF-AED0-A8EE5A9A3BAC.jpeg

157B7B27-5FDD-4D1B-993E-1E6BF0AEDEBE.jpeg

D490A982-4981-4058-BB25-96674B1198FD.jpeg

48669943-9318-4D85-8EC0-C6BE56A7E065.jpeg

And a breakfast run to one of our local country towns.
02DF5BF7-94D3-445E-B01C-B5AB5AFECA76.jpeg

I did a shed day with my son and adjusted the tie rod ends, clutch and brakes and hand brake. Tightening the tie rod ends made so much difference to the steering it feels like a whole new car. The handbrake is working well enough that I actually trust it. Have to replace the lever though as a few teeth right at the top of the pull are worn.
I’ve booked him in finally for a tune. A safe tune to match the extra psi from the new turbo and allowing for a small camper, which I hopefully start back on next year.
B773B3D8-C831-4D41-AA85-B14ADBB40E4B.jpeg
545EEDE0-7E03-4DA9-82CD-80153DC31464.jpeg
444A90F6-E733-4AF3-8F18-8FBD45BE250E.jpeg
EEAA920D-8C5A-4714-AB0F-D73272809688.jpeg

I really love how this turned out. It is truly special.

When are you going to trim the rear door weatherstrips down? :grinpimp:

I really love how this turned out. It is truly special.

When are you going to trim the rear door weatherstrips down? :grinpimp:

I’m having some 1.5mm aluminium strips pressed to match the profile on the top of the tub that will come down on inside about 40mm and about 15mm on the outside so it stays hidden when full roof goes on (so it still seals). This means the top of the doors line up with the tub so the gullwing rear screen can seal on them. At that stage I’ll trim the seals to match the profile, if that makes sense.

I’m having some 1.5mm aluminium strips pressed to match the profile on the top of the tub that will come down on inside about 40mm and about 15mm on the outside so it stays hidden when full roof goes on (so it still seals). This means the top of the doors line up with the tub so the gullwing rear screen can seal on them. At that stage I’ll trim the seals to match the profile, if that makes sense.

Makes sense. Have you had the full top on since you set up the half-cab? It looks like it may be quite a job to swap over.

Makes sense. Have you had the full top on since you set up the half-cab? It looks like it may be quite a job to swap over.
When I removed the 1/2 top for the insulation I sat the old top on and mocked up some side gull wings. It’s 8 bolts to remove the 1/2 top so that’s easy. I haven’t bolted the full top down yet, but I haven’t altered anything that would stop the locator pins and last 2 angle brackets in place. The biggest thing is the roof console has to be removed and it uses the bolts from the grab rails and rear mirror.
To be honest I think when the full roof has been cleaned and sprayed and the sliding windows replaced with the gull wings, that will be on more often than not. I do have a soft spot for the 1/2 roof though so I’ll see? It won’t be changed over that often either. There is just enough room above car in garage to put a hoist to lift either roof above car.
Thinking of doing full roof in same white with a black band running whole way around centre the size of the gull wings? Leaving the light factory texture including a stipple effect in the black aluminium gull wings?? Maybe.

Tune done.
Checked everything over first including fluid levels and tighten hose clamps etc.
They adjusted the air - fuel ratio (wound up the fuel and adjusted PSI from 18 to 19PSI). Checked the timing but did not need changing as when the pump and injectors were serviced/reconditioned my mechanic was aware of the new GTurbo green wheel.
My request was for a safe tune and to tow a small camper. Very happy with the 50% increase. He punches through first and second but the major change I can feel is the acceleration at mid rev's in 3rd. Lovin it!

IMG_4018 (1).jpg

IMG_3997.jpg

IMG_4010.jpg

Went to a 4x4 event about a month ago. Different outing to what I'm used to, but it was an eventful 3 days. Car performed well on way up and over the great dividing range. The extra power is so noticeable. I had a 5 - 10 minute tussle with a well known 4x4 influencer who kept tailgating and taunting me, so I couldn't help but to push back.
We averaged 90-110km at some of the steepest parts of the range. My gauges showed water temps at around 86 deg, EGTs were at 450 - 480 deg(Celsius) pre turbo, Psi was maxed at 18. I did have dash cam footage, but I wrote over it by about 10 minutes on way back(6 hour round trip) recording front and rear cameras.
So pissed off, it would have been great footage. He was sponsored by the event and came looking for me to do a quick run down for his YouTube channel, I'll put a link at bottom of this post, he also has some dash cam footage at the beginning of my car, but obviously not us racing around. My vehicle run down is about half way in at around 7:50 on his show.

We didn't have to cook this trip as they had slow cook meat vans, burritos and hamburgers etc, Organised events like hill climbs, stretch ramps, best rigs, muddy swamp winching and dirt track drags. I did none of them I just wanted to have an entertaining weekend with my son.
IMG_4357.jpg
IMG_4633.jpg
IMG_4630.jpg

This happened on last day of the hill climb. No one was hurt, but I don't think he'll let his 16year old son drive again.

IMG_4638.jpg

That is the car I raced up the hill. It has a Duramax Diesel V8

Last edited:
This happened on last day of the hill climb. No one was hurt, but I don't think he'll let his 16year old son drive again.
I got my BJ74 cause PO let his 16 year old son drive! LOL, salvage title rebuild.

BTW, you embarrass me as I just welded up a wire headlight screen over my snorkel inlet. You labeled yours, Epic!!

Trying to cut back on what I put on my rear cargo space.
I was surprised how it adds up, especially when i take a passenger for the weekend, so I decided to try and delete the big aluminium box that comes with me when camping.
First I justified what was already in the drawers under the tray and as my son pointed out, half of my tools had double ups or were there because I was trying to allow for every possible scenario instead of just taking the specialty tools in a separate bag when I actually go 4WDing/camping.
I would say the double up of tools alone weighed 10KG, then there were extra blankets and tarps I'll never use. Clearing those out freed up space for what was in the aluminium box.
I bought a single burner, smaller gas bottle, pot, pan and kettle that packs inside each other and made a custom storage box my coffee paraphernalia.
Next was to finish the drawers off with some aluminium trim, faces and locks so they do not open when I open the rear doors.
I had some aluminium tube so i cut it down to make some channel.
IMG_4673.jpg

IMG_4685.jpg

IMG_4686.jpg

IMG_4692.jpg

IMG_4693.jpg

Then I cut an old aluminium sign that floated onto my previous property during a bit of rain.

IMG_4699.jpg

IMG_4700.jpg

I cleaned, sanded and polished the rear of the sign to use as the faces, then sealed them with some clear exterior paint. Not sure if I'll leave it like this or paint it a colour, or sticker bomb it, but it'll do for now.
Then I fitted the locking handles. Now when I open the drawers they won't open until I pull on the handle to release the locking mechanism.

IMG_4737.jpg

I purchased some canvas clear top bags to keep everything sorted in the drawers. The left drawer has all my recovery gear and tools so I don't have to open the tyre carrier if stuck.
IMG_4758.jpg

Nice one. Yet another 10 minute job mate? :)
HA! My wife's 2 dreaded quotes from me are:
"Can you give me a hand, should only take 10 minutes" and
"Don't buy that, I can make it for you" ;)
Nice to hear from you, been a while.

nice cruiser turn up
hope you harassed the one jeep guy 😁

nice cruiser turn up
hope you harassed the one jeep guy 😁
He had enough problems of his own trying to put the doors back on after the possums started their night fights in it :happy:

Hey Billy! mate, did you ever get seat covers for your seats? I'm now looking, so I'm wondering if you ever came across a type of cover that fits them pretty good
Yes I did, but I've taken them back off. They were just cheapies. There's nothing wrong with them and still undamaged, but are only a generic fit and you tighten the cords on side to make them fit better. I prefer the look of the seats uncovered and will probably get some custom leather seats eventually so not concerned about them getting damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom