Radiator Flush/Coolant Drain DIY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For anybody that may be interested.
I just drained my coolant as part of the timing belt change.
I got some pictures, for future reference.

Here is the DS block drian cock, above the oil pan. Less than a gal drained.

Here is the PS drain cock, symetrically in same spot as the DS but hidden by this wire bracket. You won't be able to see it
when you get under. You will have to feel for it, so find the DS first.

Here is the drain cock on the radiator. A 5/16" inner diameter pipe from Lowes fit perfectly on all 3 drains. About 2 gal drained here. You will have to remove the underplate. Tip, do not remove the front center bolt, just loosen. The hole on the pan is cut out so it will slide off this bolt. When you put it back on, slide the pan onto this bolt first and it makes it much easier to get the next bolt on.

Here is the PS block draining. I used a 1/4 inch ratchet with a u joint and some extention. I think it was a 10mm socket.

To drain the reservoir, unbolt the 2 bolts and it pops up and out.

Fill slowly to allow air to vent from the back of the block.
If you get 3 or more gallons in, I would say, go ahead and make some short trips with the heater on high (instead of racing engine at 2000 rpm, save gas, save earth). Recheck next few trips after COOLING and top off.

Personally, I think flushing is overated. Minimize polution, save the Earth.

Make sure you know how to dispose of the old coolant in advance. I just found out that, in my county, I will have to wait until collection day a month and a half from now.

DIY

Personally, I think flushing is overated. Minimize polution, save the Earth.

Yeah, a properly operating cooling system is lame. :flipoff2:

I notice you've got green coolant, why no love for the Toyota red? Also, for filling you may be able to find a fill tool for rent at a car parts place. Friend has one and it's the shiznit. Hooks up to a compressor, pulls vacuum on the whole coolant system, then you flip a valve and draw from a resevoir of premixed coolant - guarantee no air pockets.

Thanks for the photos; they were useful in finding the plugs the first time around.

I did the change back to factory long life red from the green my 98 came with. Went through a few gallons of distilled water from Walmart. Photo below.
fyi1: I am recycling all of this.
fyi2: The orange colored ones in the foreground of the photo are from after I changed out hoses and replaced the packing seal in the inlet housing.

IMG_3915.JPG

Thanks for the photos; they were useful in finding the plugs the first time around.

I did the change back to factory long life red from the green my 98 came with. Went through a few gallons of distilled water from Walmart. Photo below.
fyi2: The orange colored ones in the foreground of the photo are from after I changed out hoses and replaced the packing seal in the inlet housing.

View attachment 1530733
I’ve a 99 as well, and I’m going through a multi day flush of green coolant with many gallons of distilled water. I’m probably about 4 flushes (draining from radiator and engine blocks) and the water draining out is no long green….but a light rusty brown. Not quite as rich brown as in the foreground of your photo.

do I need to keep going until almost clear? When to stop? This is getting to be a real PITA

I’ve a 99 as well, and I’m going through a multi day flush of green coolant with many gallons of distilled water. I’m probably about 4 flushes (draining from radiator and engine blocks) and the water draining out is no long green….but a light rusty brown. Not quite as rich brown as in the foreground of your photo.

do I need to keep going until almost clear? When to stop? This is getting to be a real PITA

Yes, keep going until clear. Make sure the front rear heaters are turned up all the way so that the system cycles completely. If you haven't flushed in a long time or ever, then it will take some time to get the build up of sediment out of the system.

View attachment 1530733
Think I need more water … only bought 10G in prep :(

Think I need more water … only bought 10G in prep :(
Attach top hose at the engine end. Thenfill the engine block through the top radiator hose. Once it comes to full connect the hose to the radiator. Then fill the radiator. This make both banks to have coolant before thermostat opens.

My 06 has never been fully flushed with distilled water. My question is if I flush with distilled and fill with pre diluted pink Toyota coolant wouldn't the coolant be further diluted by the remaining distilled water in the system? Or do I get the system down to the minimum 4 quarts(distilled water only at this point) we'll call it, fill with coolant, drain again and refill with coolant to get it back up to the proper coolant ratio?

My 06 has never been fully flushed with distilled water. My question is if I flush with distilled and fill with pre diluted pink Toyota coolant wouldn't the coolant be further diluted by the remaining distilled water in the system? Or do I get the system down to the minimum 4 quarts(distilled water only at this point) we'll call it, fill with coolant, drain again and refill with coolant to get it back up to the proper coolant ratio?
I just cleaned it out to the point where it was clear and drained from the block and radiator. I refilled with regular mixture after that. The FSM isn't particularly specific on this point: 'Drain coolant' and 'Refill with engine coolant'.

I just cleaned it out to the point where it was clear and drained from the block and radiator. I refilled with regular mixture after that. The FSM isn't particularly specific on this point: 'Drain coolant' and 'Refill with engine coolant'.
So suffice it to o say there was a significant amount of distilled water in the system still?

For those concerned about excess distilled water being left over, you can remove the oil cooler hose and get some more out. Probably not worth the effort, but that’s just an opinion.
Also if you force air in the system with a compressor, you get some extra water out of the system.

How long can distilled water be left in the system while driving around? I don’t have time to drain and flush multiple times while stationary so I was hoping to knock it out on the road. From what I’ve read, water has better cooling properties than anti-freeze but is corrosive. I’m assuming a short amount of time with only water is fine…

The scientific term is the specific heat capacity: Water takes a lot of heat before it raises it's temperature by 1 Celsius (can also be called in Fahrenheit). This is why humans/animals can withstand temperature changes in the environment for some time.

The corrosion can start if left for may be a few days. It will be surface rust, but the whole point of flush will be negated if you leave water for couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom