Are you tall? Do you have knee pain or sciatica from the drivers seat angle? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My sports cars have always had extendible front cushions. It’s was/is great whether physical sliding cushions or air bladders.

Is there a market for someone to create this product? For years I’ve been tinkering with design thoughts. I’m also interested in buying a Cnc mill and projects like this could become a reality for me to play with. Is it about extending the current cushion with an aftermarket option or is it about creating a device that attaches and has extra cushion. I think the seat jacker idea is amazing, what can we do for the actual seat?
Yes my old German cars all have great supportive seat with extending thigh support. No problems driving them.

Thats why Im getting closer to the Scheel Mann solution.....calling them tomorrow. Maybe get some leather samples to see what best matches my Stone interior and the Ivory interior in the LX.

Yes my old German cars all have great supportive seat with extending thigh support. No problems driving them.

Thats why Im getting closer to the Scheel Mann solution.....calling them tomorrow. Maybe get some leather samples to see what best matches my Stone interior and the Ivory interior in the LX.

Was thinking similar to something like this. Anyone ever tried this?

Amazon product ASIN B07Y6WVRTG

Amazon product ASIN B09DG3DTYK

I have an FJ40 and being 6-3 with a 36" inseam my problem with the seat being too close to the firewall and my ankle would get sore from holding pressure on the gas pedal. I have had the same problem with Jeeps with the seat too close to the firewall. Moving the seats back is on my list of things to do during the rebuild.

I broke down and ordered a Scheel-Mann seat from Toby. Let's see how it works for me. If I like it, more on the way for passenger side and for the LX.

These seats just don't have enough support for tall folks.

Last edited:
6'3, tall and lanky with longer legs. L4/L5 and L5/S1 bulging discs. Luckily no sciatica yet.

I do not like the OEM seats, but have done numerous long trips and don't get much "pain" as a result. Back certainly gets tight, but the angle of the seat and bottom cushion length wouldn't be a magic bullet for me. For me they need to be longer on both the bottom and top cushion, need better overall support and more lumbar.

I keep talking myself out of Scheel-manns, but I wouldn't be surprised if I just bite the bullet one of these days. I always pop in this thread hoping another option is going to be available one of these days, lol. I had Corbeau's in one of my BMW's for a while and liked them (back in the day), and wish they had seats that interest me in a tan color... might be a nice, cheaper option.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to swap in a pair of BMW front seats?

Escuse my ignorance, I don’t know how much work that would take

I'm only 6'1" but my inseam is 36.5" (I know). Shopping for a car for my wife last week, BMW sales guy: "Oh, that's the seat extender. It provides extra support for your legs. Great on long drives." That was first I'd ever seen that. We're enjoying our new BMW ;)

When I was young and skinny my Levis were 31w and 40 inseam and were very hard to find and they charged another $6 for them. When my oldest boy was 3 we bought him 2 pair that were 19w and 14 l. We had to put one of his on lay away and he thought he was not gettingLevies like Daddy and everyone in the store knew he was not a happy camper.

When I was young and skinny my Levis were 31w and 40 inseam and were very hard to find and they charged another $6 for them. When my oldest boy was 3 we bought him 2 pair that were 19w and 14 l. We had to put one of his on lay away and he thought he was not gettingLevies like Daddy and everyone in the store knew he was not a happy camper.
Your inseam has shrunk 4 inches?

I’m 6’5” with 31-32 waist and 35” inseam.
FJ40, FJ62 and now FZJ80 I’ve owned have all had aftermarket seat extension kits available that have been complete game changers for me. It’s ridiculous how little leg room Cruisers come with. A 2022 Corolla we are currently renting on a road trip has WAY more legroom than any Cruiser.
100 seems to suffer from the same problem. Since the seats are powered, someone needs to make an extension kit for them like Landtank has for the 80. Maybe his kit would work on the 100? The same basic idea could likely be applied.

Last edited:
I am 6-3. They were 501s. My Grandfather was about 6' and when he was young, he wore 31w and 35 length he only weighed 120 lbs when I was born. When I was a kid, my legs grew faster than my torso and I was way out of proportion until my torso caught up with my legs. I still have problems with shirt sleeves being too short.

I had two Celicas that had more leg room. At least I have head room in my FJ40. I am going to reverse the seat mounts when I put them back in and see if that is enough if not I will get extenders.

Your inseam has shrunk 4 inches?

I’m 6’5” with 31-32 waist and 35” inseam.
FJ40, FJ62 and now FZJ80 I’ve owned have all had aftermarket seat extension kits available that have been complete game changers for me. It’s ridiculous how little leg room Cruisers come with. A 2022 Corolla we are currently renting on a road trip has WAY more legroom than any Cruiser.
100 seems to suffer from the same problem. Since the seats are powered, someone needs to make an extension kit for them like Landtank has for the 80. Maybe his kit would work on the 100? The same basic idea could likely be applied.
Short leg room is dictated by the 112" wheelbase! I think BMW seats are fantastic and have been swapped into older cruisers but I have yet to see them in the LC 100.

Even my 06 530xi has more leg room and thigh extenders on the front seats. That's what they look like:
20200406_150731.jpg

EVERY other car in the family fleet - My kids' Mazdas, wife's BMW and even my '84 Xtra Cab Pickup have more legroom than my 100. The 100 was clearly designed for 5'8" drivers who didn't listen to music.

I'm only 6'1" but my inseam is 36.5" (I know). Shopping for a car for my wife last week, BMW sales guy: "Oh, that's the seat extender. It provides extra support for your legs. Great on long drives." That was first I'd ever seen that. We're enjoying our new BMW ;)
I'm sorry for your loss.

Would it be possible to swap in a pair of BMW front seats?

Escuse my ignorance, I don’t know how much work that would take

Yes, you can definitely swap seats. Would take some custom wiring and the use of aftermarket bases, probably the same ones you use to mount Scheel-manns and some ingenuity as they most likely won't bolt right up to the new base. It certainly is a consideration for me instead of Scheel-manns. I just dont want another big project right now, haha.

Short leg room is dictated by the 112" wheelbase! I think BMW seats are fantastic and have been swapped into older cruisers but I have yet to see them in the LC 100.

Even my 06 530xi has more leg room and thigh extenders on the front seats. That's what they look like:
View attachment 3150249
No 40" Levi 501s is shrunk to fit and shrink 4 inches not me.

Extra thigh support in the BMW's has been going on for a long, long time. Our old 2002 and 2003 5-series and 3-series have them. Far better seats than the LC or LX for either the wife or myself. Long trips on those are a walk in the park.

I keep talking myself out of Scheel-manns, but I wouldn't be surprised if I just bite the bullet one of these days. I always pop in this thread hoping another option is going to be available one of these days, lol. I had Corbeau's in one of my BMW's for a while and liked them (back in the day), and wish they had seats that interest me in a tan color... might be a nice, cheaper option.

I will report back. Every review I find says after you use the Scheel-Mann seats you don't want to go back to anything else. Toby, their U.S. distributor was very helpful ordering. He all but guaranteed they would help significantly. Says he hears my same story regularly.

I'm getting to old and spend too much time driving for it to be a cause of suffering and discomfort. Spent a ton of money on physio, accupuncture, yoga already. It all helps but....

I will report back. Every review I find says after you use the Scheel-Mann seats you don't want to go back to anything else. Toby, their U.S. distributor was very helpful ordering. He all but guaranteed they would help significantly. Says he hears my same story regularly.

I'm getting to old and spend too much time driving for it to be a cause of suffering and discomfort. Spent a ton of money on physio, accupuncture, yoga already. It all helps but....
Yeah, everyone loves them.... everyone. They are the choice in the campervan market. I'd be very surprised if you have issues. I've sat in them and they are pretty large step up from the BMW seats you guys are discussing here IMO (I've owned 7-8 BMW's in the past 20 years, still own 2), they are more like a lower end Recaro, but with tons of adjustments.

Certainly let us know what you think.

I consider myself very lucky I go to the best PT in my metro area, lol. Just would like to not have to go there for a while, its been a tough few years between my back and obliterating my ACL last Jan.

I always pop in this thread hoping another option is going to be available one of these days, lol.
I know I've been doing the same. I don't think the seat jackers are going to do it for me. At 6'7" with a 36" inseam, the problem is length. I've already had to relocate the CDL switch so my knee doesn't hit it.

I've always been hoping someone would build the seat extension that @Devils Paw 80 was mentioning. Every time I check this thread I'm hoping someone mad man has finally done it. I know there is a different thread but it hasn't gone anywhere. I would probably do it but I don't have the tools currently.

I know I've been doing the same. I don't think the seat jackers are going to do it for me. At 6'7" with a 36" inseam, the problem is length. I've already had to relocate the CDL switch so my knee doesn't hit it.

I've always been hoping someone would build the seat extension that @Devils Paw 80 was mentioning. Every time I check this thread I'm hoping someone mad man has finally done it. I know there is a different thread but it hasn't gone anywhere. I would probably do it but I don't have the tools currently.
You must love teh 100 series more than me. Tundra would be much improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom