Harrop Supercharger Stage 1 - LX 570 Drivetrain Reliability ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drives so smooth. Just like OEM!

D3D10D0E-4531-4400-81BE-D71665906D34.jpeg

I’m pushing almost 8k miles since install. No issues. Fuel economy has improved (if you stay out of it) to over 14mpg on 33’s. This is easily the best money spent of the 200 series platform. “Feels” very OEM in application. Lots and lots of power when you need it; grocery getter when you don’t.
Who did your install? I was looking to get this done myself.

I got my Harrop installed a couple weeks back and have been through a 2-3 tanks of gas since. Prior to install the best MPG I got was 19-19.5mpg running under ideal conditions from 5,000-10,000ft from Denver to home and back in ECO mode ~65mph. Since install it looks to have preemptively dropped mpg to 17-17.5 under the same conditions. Been pretty easy on it to allow ECU to re-learn before being heavy footed. I'm not sure if that even helps or not, just maybe my obsessive Cruiser disorder. Going to try to run it in "normal" mode and comfort mode for a tank to see if it makes a difference. Power off the line in sport mode is much more enjoyable. No concerns for the driveline, but no way to measure if at any point the engine is not healthy without an A/F gauge correct?

I plan on occasionally towing about 8,200# on stock gears, 37" tires, 11,000ft+ elevation, and temps that can go well into the negatives.

In regards to reliability, I've historically been skeptical, due to lack of direct ability to tune the ECU on 2016+ and instead using fuel pressure/volume and stock O2s. However, I finally found a good description of their engineering approach.

Download the Tech Guide and scroll to the Calibration section near the end. This goes into pretty good detail on how they approach correct fueling (timing is another matter). I feel much better given this data, enough that I may take the leap. Personally, if I do this I will still dyno and consider a Unichip depending on how things look though. Just for peace of mind.

In regards to reliability, I've historically been skeptical, due to lack of direct ability to tune the ECU on 2016+ and instead using fuel pressure/volume and stock O2s. However, I finally found a good description of their engineering approach.

Download the Tech Guide and scroll to the Calibration section near the end. This goes into pretty good detail on how they approach correct fueling (timing is another matter). I feel much better given this data, enough that I may take the leap. Personally, if I do this I will still dyno and consider a Unichip depending on how things look though. Just for peace of mind.
Hello from AUS. Well it's now been a year or so and around 25,300 klm since the Harrop install, and I still can't wipe the smile off my face. As I've probably said before this is how the vehicle should have been released originally. Power on tap and have still been getting some great MPG figures. As far as your question on reliability, I haven't had any issues whatsoever. Heaps of power, great oil pressure (engine has not used one drop of oil between services), runs cool, and no transmission or drivetrain issues. I recently did a drive north from Brisbane to Townsville, west to Winton and down through the middle back home. Around 3400 klm all up. Best MPG was 11.18 L/100 (21.04mpg), worst was 14.38 L/100 (16.36 mpg) into a westerly headwind for 5 hours, with an average over the trip of 12.27 L/100 (19.17 mpg). I must mention that it is still pulling the van (3000kg) between 18.1 and 19.4 on the highway at 100 kph. Not bad for an egine tuned for Premium 95 from day 1. The only thing I'm looking at doing is a mild shift and lock-up converter kit for the auto. I think economy when towing would be much better if the converter locks a little earlier. This was the first real long distance test for the beast and it performed flawlessly. The acceleration from 100 kph to OMG when passing a few cattle road trains out west was phenomenal, although I can report that the LT285/65X18 Geolanders do get to be a bit of a handful at the top end of their speed rating (lol) !!! Am I happy with it, Absolutely. Am I worried about reliability, Absolutely not.

You guys are getting great mileage. I'm getting 11.8 on average not getting into the pedal. I have about 400 miles on it so far.

I averaged 12.7mpg from Alabama to Colorado and back. Had a big roof box on for most of the trip that produced a good bit of drag… cruise was usually +10 over, nothing crazy.

I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on the Harrop SC for my 2015 LX and just pinging this thread to see if everyone is still in love with their setup...
I was really wanting to do the install myself, given the cost of both the SC and the install (half the cost of the SC!). @boringdriver did you end up getting this installed or doing it yourself?

I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on the Harrop SC for my 2015 LX and just pinging this thread to see if everyone is still in love with their setup...
I was really wanting to do the install myself, given the cost of both the SC and the install (half the cost of the SC!). @boringdriver did you end up getting this installed or doing it yourself?
Yes. I’ve put 10k on mine in the last year. Trailering, mountains, etc. still the best decision!

Yes. I’ve put 10k on mine in the last year. Trailering, mountains, etc. still the best decision!
Not an LX but I have about 10k on my Magnuson Sequoia and love it more every time I drive.

Still loving it… 26k miles on it… zero complaints

I have put about 16k on my Harrop so far. About 2 months ago I got a tune and other mods to switch to a smaller pulley although I haven't swapped the smaller pulley and gotten a new tune yet. Can't wait for that...

If you want more experience I'd check out this thread. Tundra's with Maggie TVS 1900 - the TRD one, Harrop 2650, and new Magnuson 2650, Whipple 2900,...

If you plan to be safe and get a real tune, HPTuners supposedly handles 15 LC but not LX.. which doesn’t make sense to me. Possible that HPT just isn’t aware of the similarities in the platform. So it might be worth approaching a local tuner to have them see if they can get in and make changes.

If you plan to be safe and get a real tune, HPTuners supposedly handles 15 LC but not LX.. which doesn’t make sense to me. Possible that HPT just isn’t aware of the similarities in the platform. So it might be worth approaching a local tuner to have them see if they can get in and make changes.
I had a guy reach out to me earlier and tell me the HPTuners tune for the Tundra works perfectly on the LX.
I have no real-world experience, so there's that...

I had a guy reach out to me earlier and tell me the HPTuners tune for the Tundra works perfectly on the LX.
I have no real-world experience, so there's that...
That’s encouraging news

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom