High Beam Indicator Not Working After Koito Install - LED Still The Fix? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

933014DC-A179-4D66-9761-6CE79ECE919B.jpeg

Getting to work on these today. I will have 8 completed some time this coming week. After that I may have PC boards printed to make assembly easier. It’s not like there are a lot of components, but dropping things in holes and soldering is easier than bending component leads and all that.

@Michael Hanson I’ll post in this thread and on Instagram for sure. I might dig up some other old Koito/HBI threads and post there as well.

I know a guy having the same issue on n his 62, so we’re talking about that. I haven’t even begun to wrap my mind around the issue in those trucks yet but maybe that’s on the horizon too.

I’d be interested to know if this same HBI issue is present with the ARB, Hella, Daniel Stern, and other harnesses. Anybody know??

Tried one type of potting compound for the circuit and it works great. This is either what the finished product will look like or close to it.

F1476519-00BE-46A1-94A6-8EC39FDCFD72.jpeg

Here’s a couple examples of daytime brightness with a 4.8W incandescent 194-base bulb. I think a clear LED could be brighter, but I still need to source one for testing. Point is: it works.

Headlights, dash lights off; pull back on stalk to flash brights.
A3C933D1-C9E7-495E-8808-7999A3518E15.jpeg

With headlights & dash lights on; push forward to turn brights on:
59CC2ED4-2D55-4012-9E81-BB38AAB82415.jpeg

Sun shining almost directly on the gauges. HBI is still visible. The choke indicator (well, this is a 1982 so I don’t have that just a clear lens with nothing behind it) is being illuminated by the sun.
78327767-1D86-45E9-8991-E74FC9D4DFC6.jpeg

These will go live on the website at noon MST today (2PM EST, 11AM PST). I only have 6 of them, but more parts will be en route soon. Here's the link: Cruiser Trash Parts. They will be located on the front page as well as the “New Parts” section. Don’t forget to grab a sticker if you haven’t already!

@Michael Hanson
@Gretsch
@OzarkMtnCruiser
@JTed

@ToyotaMatt FYI 😉
(I think I saw you’re running some LED headlight kit, not sure if your HBI works)

These will go live on the website at noon MST today (2PM EST, 11AM PST). I only have 6 of them, but more parts will be en route soon. Here's the link: Cruiser Trash Parts. They will be located on the front page as well as the “New Parts” section. Don’t forget to grab a sticker if you haven’t already!

@Michael Hanson
@Gretsch
@OzarkMtnCruiser
@JTed

@ToyotaMatt FYI 😉
(I think I saw you’re running some LED headlight kit, not sure if your HBI works)

TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER !

is asking to pre-order qty x 3 , being greedy here ? :D

i WILL pre-pay of course

my 62 with the 60 front end suffers from NO HBI blue warm glow ?

help be OBI-WAN-HBI your my only hope .........

@Michael Hanson
@Gretsch
@OzarkMtnCruiser
@JTed

@ToyotaMatt FYI 😉
"So you bought the Koito headlight and harness kit - "the best $60 you can spend on your FJ40/60" - but now the indicator for the high beams doesn't work. Annoying! Here's the fix. This has been designed to work seamlessly with Toyota's stock wiring system for 1981-1987 FJ60s. "

What if I'm running the new Koito harness? Will it still work?

"So you bought the Koito headlight and harness kit - "the best $60 you can spend on your FJ40/60" - but now the indicator for the high beams doesn't work. Annoying! Here's the fix. This has been designed to work seamlessly with Toyota's stock wiring system for 1981-1987 FJ60s. "

What if I'm running the new Koito harness? Will it still work?
I bought a Koito kit several years ago for my older 60 - installed it and great lighting but no HBI. I bought a Koito kit last month for my new 60 - same story. The kit part number is 81110-60P70, and I don't know how longs it's been since Toyota appreciably changed it.

Do you have the Koito headlight housing & harness kit installed? Does your HBI come on with the high beams?

TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER !

is asking to pre-order qty x 3 , being greedy here ? :D

i WILL pre-pay of course

my 62 with the 60 front end suffers from NO HBI blue warm glow ?

help be OBI-WAN-HBI your my only hope .........

MATT! You're a unique situation there ... 62 with a 60 front end. Let's you and I chat via PM about what you're doing with your stock 62 harness and how you're making everything work, ok?

You can definitely pre-order three but let's chat about that first too! I only have a few left for folks that need them ASAP (inspections, etc), but I have more parts on the way. We can talk quantity and what you want to do with them my friend.

See you in the chat messages dude!

MATT! You're a unique situation there ... 62 with a 60 front end. Let's you and I chat via PM about what you're doing with your stock 62 harness and how you're making everything work, ok?

You can definitely pre-order three but let's chat about that first too! I only have a few left for folks that need them ASAP (inspections, etc), but I have more parts on the way. We can talk quantity and what you want to do with them my friend.

See you in the chat messages dude!

ok

i will suffer with only 1 kit if that's the way here in your led thread .......... :rolleyes:

ok

i will suffer with only 1 kit if that's the way here in your led thread .......... :rolleyes:
Matt I want to make sure this is going to work for your situation, and then I’ll make a batch just for you! Or go ahead and order three, I still have three in stock. I’d hate to see you get them and have them not work out for ya.

I bought a Koito kit several years ago for my older 60 - installed it and great lighting but no HBI. I bought a Koito kit last month for my new 60 - same story. The kit part number is 81110-60P70, and I don't know how longs it's been since Toyota appreciably changed it.

Do you have the Koito headlight housing & harness kit installed? Does your HBI come on with the high beams?
That's the kit i installed and the HBI does not work- I upgrade the lamps to 80/100.

Can’t wait to give it a go!!
Thanks!! I am currently out of stock already but I have more parts arriving tomorrow. I will build them tomorrow night and get them in the mail Thursday.

Parts shipment delayed by one day. I’ll be shipping Friday now, rather than tomorrow.
39A8AAB2-4F25-432D-A788-51052BF02707.jpeg

I did start work last night with the supplies I had on hand to make things move faster once I get the critical parts.
128F97D4-C3E7-44B8-B88E-765A6A6601B3.jpeg

Aaaand, I’m out of stock again. More parts arrive Tuesday, and I ordered more quantity this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom