Your dream Gamiviti rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine has been built, I’m just waiting on family to leave so I can drive up to Denver!
A5A888EC-DD0E-43B5-814A-8B1AC03EEE06.jpeg

Tapered Expo++ with three towers per side and a sunroof cutout.

The wait is over, time to prep the truck and get ready to install. I'm really happy with this setup for my particular needs. For those of you out there thinking of doing the same, really take the time to evaluate what you need to do VS what looks cool.

This setup will allow for maximum versatility as my setup is always changing with the seasons.

IMG_6735.jpg

I’m still loving my strap sh1t to the top basic Gamiviti. Super easy and reliable. I do sometimes wish I had a small platform area to stand on while I’m up there loading bulkier items as I’m not the most nimble guy. I ended up mostly using NRS straps, they work great for my needs.

I’m still loving my strap sh1t to the top basic Gamiviti. Super easy and reliable. I do sometimes wish I had a small platform area to stand on while I’m up there loading bulkier items as I’m not the most nimble guy. I ended up mostly using NRS straps, they work great for my needs.
Totally ,those nrs straps are perfect for the rack setup. You could always add on a grid panel to your rack to one of the three sections . I chose front and back but they pop off and leave just basic cross bars .

First time with some lumber up on the rack. This is the shipping crate that it came in. It cinched down nicely and feels secure. Only complaint, just because I am picky, would be to have the gussets a little lower or with a bigger diameter opening. Coming from above with your average ratchet strap, the hook doesn't really fit nicely in there. It fits, just sits kind of wonky . If it was a little lower it would allow the the hook to be nice and straight.

Luckily all of the stepping stones / mounting feet have slots in them and the hook fits perfectly in there.

1660756154442.png

How are ya'll using your racks efficiently? It seems whenever I load stuff up I am spending so much time up and down and all around strapping, ratcheting chairs down. I think i need straps that have a little bit bigger hooks but any other suggestions? Strapping Duffle bags, camp chairs, a jerry can. thanks

How are ya'll using your racks efficiently? It seems whenever I load stuff up I am spending so much time up and down and all around strapping, ratcheting chairs down. I think i need straps that have a little bit bigger hooks but any other suggestions? Strapping Duffle bags, camp chairs, a jerry can. thanks
Just depends on what your are using, the art of Strap-ology takes some time to get used to.

Most of my equipment is held down by NRS straps which are just pull style / cambuckle straps. Gear needs to be pulled down towards the rack and secured in opposing directions so it stays secure on all angles.

Sometimes ratchet straps come in handy for heavier payloads but I rarely use them.

I wouldn't put a jerry can on my roof but to each his own.

Duffel bags, get good bags with D-rings and tie down points. Redoxx is expensive as s*** but will last a lifetime. ARB dry bags work good as well.

Camp chairs, I throw them inside the vehicle but they could also be strapped down with some cambuckle style straps.

For your bigger hook concept, instead you could just loop the strap around your rack tubing and back through itself, avoiding using the hook all together

Just depends on what your are using, the art of Strap-ology takes some time to get used to.

Most of my equipment is held down by NRS straps which are just pull style / cambuckle straps. Gear needs to be pulled down towards the rack and secured in opposing directions so it stays secure on all angles.

Sometimes ratchet straps come in handy for heavier payloads but I rarely use them.

I wouldn't put a jerry can on my roof but to each his own.

Duffel bags, get good bags with D-rings and tie down points. Redoxx is expensive as s*** but will last a lifetime. ARB dry bags work good as well.

Camp chairs, I throw them inside the vehicle but they could also be strapped down with some cambuckle style straps.

For your bigger hook concept, instead you could just loop the strap around your rack tubing and back through itself, avoiding using the hook all together
Yup NRS straps for the win. Just loop and pull

Add me to the list. Just ordered the Essential package yesterday. Thank you Tim for your help.

Curious, why are almost everyone mounting the rack with the expo bar down?
What are you using it for that makes down better, or is it mainly as a grab bar only?

Sorry for my ignorance, but the couple racks I've had over the decades both had the extra bar above, which allowed for side support of coolers and misc. items loaded up there, plus provided additional strapping points.

Also, how has everyone's experience been who decided on the plastic grid panels?
I've also always had a steel grid on the racks which was great for standing up there while arranging and strapping down items. My first rack, about 30+ years ago was mounted to an Izusu Trooper and became my sleeping platform with just a sleeping bag for an awesome month long coastal trip. In that case, I had installed a simple 4x8 plywood on the rack for the base and the extra bar was added security for my mind that I wouldn't roll off the side in my sleep.

Thx

s

Curious, why are almost everyone mounting the rack with the expo bar down?
What are you using it for that makes down better, or is it mainly as a grab bar only?

Sorry for my ignorance, but the couple racks I've had over the decades both had the extra bar above, which allowed for side support of coolers and misc. items loaded up there, plus provided additional strapping points.

Also, how has everyone's experience been who decided on the plastic grid panels?
I've also always had a steel grid on the racks which was great for standing up there while arranging and strapping down items. My first rack, about 30+ years ago was mounted to an Izusu Trooper and became my sleeping platform with just a sleeping bag for an awesome month long coastal trip. In that case, I had installed a simple 4x8 plywood on the rack for the base and the extra bar was added security for my mind that I wouldn't roll off the side in my sleep.

Thx

s

Mine is expo bar down because I always use it as a grab handle, and because it wouldn't fit in the garage otherwise. Places to strap are plentiful, so the few times I've had larger boxes/containers up there, I didn't feel at all like I wanted/needed additional structure around them.

urious, why are almost everyone mounting the rack with the expo bar down?

Thx

s
It took me a while to come around on that as well. The ability to use it as a grab handle is a huge plus and the reality is you don't need side rails to secure cargo. Your setup will just depend on what you need your roof rack to do for you

For most gear, like drybags and boxes, can be strapped down properly without needing any side rails. Wrapping a pull strap around a expo down setup gives you even more down force and holds everything tight.

I went with a drop down basket in the middle for loose gear , like wood ,muddy boots , etc. Front and rear have the cargo panels. They were cheap enough and easy to remove so it was a no brainer. They can be easily removed for a more traditional cross bar rack.

My maxtrax have found their home in the rear of the vehicle. I never understood why people keep them up front. When your stuck in the mud the last thing I want to do is climb up in my front seats to get my traction boards down.

These racks are hands down the most customizable and functional of all the options on the market for the cruiser

Screenshot_20221023_092134_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20221023_092144_Photos.jpg

Mine is expo bar down because I always use it as a grab handle, and because it wouldn't fit in the garage
It took me a while to come around on that as well. The ability to use it as a grab handle is a huge plus and the reality is you don't need side rails to secure cargo.

I went with a drop down basket in the middle for loose gear , like wood ,muddy boots , etc. Front and rear have the cargo panels. They were cheap enough and easy to remove so it was a no brainer.
Thanks guys.
Garage will have 8’ door so on there.

Securing cargo - yes I’d agree that the side rails are not necessary. Probably just my wanting that peace of mind that’s irrational. My cargo will be big coolers.

Grab bar - Am I missing something or is the only real use of the expo bar as a grab handle then?

I’m 6’ so would be comfortable reaching the side of the main rack to grab onto and I see there are openings there one could use. Just questioning if I need the expo bar at all then?

Drop basket - I’ve got a question in to Tim about this as I wonder if there’s room to do a drop basket is there room to simply lower the whole rack?

Definitely appreciate the fast, attentive customer service, which is most refreshing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom