Oil Cooler and Oil Filter Bracket Refresh Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a pretty good sized leak coming from around the oil cooler and oil filter bracket. I have a 2F repair manual but I am not seeing much info about these parts. The two large bolts that hold the oil cooler to the bracket. What size are the heads? I don't have a socket large enough for these so I'll need to pick up one. I have both the copper rings for the inside portion and the washer for the outside. What are the torque specs for these? (I believe I saw a post that showed these at 47ft/lbs... does that sound correct?)

For the oil filter bracket do I need to drain the oil in order to remove this? Also, should I use FIPG, Anerobic Gasket, or Permatex Aviation on the paper gasket? Thanks for the assistance and any other advice.

IMG_1406.jpg

The two big banjo bolts on the oil cooler I have marked in my manual to tighten to 47 lb-ft. I don't know where I got that value but I tightened them up to that and no problems years later.
I remember buying a big socket just for those two big guys. I found out what it was by measuring the hex head with a micrometer. For some reason I remember it being 22mm (odd size) but don't take my word for it.
Yeah I'd remove the oil filter before removing its bracket. The gasket is thin, so you could just put a new one on dry or use Toyota's black FIPG if you're paranoid.

I have a pretty good sized leak coming from around the oil cooler and oil filter bracket. I have a 2F repair manual but I am not seeing much info about these parts. The two large bolts that hold the oil cooler to the bracket. What size are the heads? I don't have a socket large enough for these so I'll need to pick up one. I have both the copper rings for the inside portion and the washer for the outside. What are the torque specs for these? (I believe I saw a post that showed these at 47ft/lbs... does that sound correct?)

For the oil filter bracket do I need to drain the oil in order to remove this? Also, should I use FIPG, Anerobic Gasket, or Permatex Aviation on the paper gasket? Thanks for the assistance and any other advice.

View attachment 2782230
I think oss is right on the 22 mm... but it might be 32.... measure it. I wouldn’t use an adjustable wrench on those. There are two rubber o-rings that go between the cast iron block and the oil cooler. You’ll need two of them. You say you’ve got the copper gaskets for the other side so you should be good there. I know oreilly carries rubber o rings that will fit but they are also available from Toyota for a perfect match.

Reactions: OSS
I think oss is right on the 22 mm... but it might be 32.... measure it. I wouldn’t use an adjustable wrench on those. There are two rubber o-rings that go between the cast iron block and the oil cooler. You’ll need two of them. You say you’ve got the copper gaskets for the other side so you should be good there. I know oreilly carries rubber o rings that will fit but they are also available from Toyota for a perfect match.
I am thinking the 32 is the size. I have on order the the two rubber ones as well. Unfortunately they like the rest of the order is sitting in the Regional Mail Center in Denver and have been for days.... Ugh . I will disassemble and do some scrubbing this weekend. Hopefully these will be in early next week. Thanks for all the information! @cps432

Everything went smoothly.
The banjo bolts needed a 27mm socket
I put them in at 47ft/lbs. used new copper washers on the outside and new rubber gaskets on the inside.
I applied a very thin layer of permatex aviation gasket maker on the oil filter bracket paper gasket.
I tightened thebolts on the filter bracket at
13ft/lbs each. Keeping my fingers crossed that it
will be less leaky. Thanks for the advice

are you sure it is the seals leaking?

a few others have had the cooler itself leak and need to replace the entire unit.

are you sure it is the seals leaking?

a few others have had the cooler itself leak and need to replace the entire unit.
I’m not entirely sure. The paper gasket I pulled off was pretty beat up and the rubber gaskets were falling apart. I did end up painting the oil cooler as well… maybe the paint will keep it all together :)

Those coolers are pricey, just bought a new one (at least they are available).

What I am wondering is about the paper gasket, has the 4 holes for the bolts to the block and a lower hole (middle of bolts) same size as the port but the upper hole is small also but the port is much bigger, I cut out the gasket to port size for that one.....hope I did the right thing :confused:

Or that side cover can leak down right there too. Just did both of those jobs recently. You might see oil on the clutch inspection cover. if you drive it. I thought mine was a rear main.

From what I remember everything lined up pretty well on the paper gasket. I know I did not do any cutting. For what it is worth this stopped all the leaks from that side.

Reactions: OSS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom