LX570 Rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few weeks ago I had a minor fender bender where somebody crushed the rear part of my bumper. It’s not terribly bad but insurance gave me $2000 to repair it. The question I have is based on the photos could I replace the bumper with an off-road aftermarket bumper? I’m not sure how much of the existing bumper would need to remain when installing some of these aftermarket ones. It be great to take the $2000 and put it towards something I really want opposed to just replacing the plastic.

074A6F4B-0D93-4A4C-ACA5-A0DB17B652D5.jpeg

6F4339A2-2554-472A-82C7-E850CD1BABB0.jpeg

You need from the bottom of the tail light to the top of the reflector for most bumpers. I would try heating that up with some boiling water and popping it back out and then cut it up when you decide on a bumper.

IMG_0251.jpg

You can probably get access to the back side without removing the whole skin.

Thanks your photos were very helpful. I ordered the dissent bumper shipped and powder coated. It was more than what my insurance paid me but less than if I just bought it out right
Had a bus hit me and the same spot and did what you did but installed a slee rear .

For any future guys in a similar situation that decide to repair…

I did the exact thing Jack knifing my little camping trailer.

I took it off. Not hard at all. And just used a heat gun and pushed it out with a wooden handle of A mallet.

It’s like 87% perfect.

Also I busted the bracket for the reflector attachment. A little…actually a big wad of bondo epoxy on the inside of the bumper fixed it right up.

If you can turn a screwdriver you can do this repair.

It’s not terribly bad but insurance gave me $2000 to repair it.
How in the world did you only get $2k to repair that? Don’t they have to go by a reputable body shop estimate? Seems that would only cover parts…

Anyway, glad you got a new bumper coming!

How in the world did you only get $2k to repair that? Don’t they have to go by a reputable body shop estimate? Seems that would only cover parts…

Anyway, glad you got a new bumper coming!
My insurance gave me a little more than that due to having a broken tail light.

My insurance gave me a little more than that due to having a broken tail light.
Bus guy said he didn’t see me
That’s nuts. Someone barely hit my old 4runner a few years back. It messed up the paint more than anything. It was nearly $2k to remove, repaint, and reinstall the rear bumper cover.

A few weeks ago I had a minor fender bender where somebody crushed the rear part of my bumper. It’s not terribly bad but insurance gave me $2000 to repair it. The question I have is based on the photos could I replace the bumper with an off-road aftermarket bumper? I’m not sure how much of the existing bumper would need to remain when installing some of these aftermarket ones. It be great to take the $2000 and put it towards something I really want opposed to just replacing the plastic.

View attachment 3146357

View attachment 3146358
Jeepandtruckparts.com has the arb non swingaway bumper on sale for $1,095 shipped including tax. Hard to beat that.

56357C66-3CC9-45D6-AD46-0C1197F634B9.jpeg
070BB0DB-B25B-4DD6-9409-B1A48D2629B1.jpeg
AC8FD611-CC4B-42F7-992A-87A029AAEFF0.jpeg

Happened over a month ago. Only Lexus certified shop said it’s a 3+ month wait and 6-8 weeks to repair. $15-20k+ in damage.

Wow. My whole Lx cost less than $20k. What is the damage? A rear bumper cover and a rear corner light?

Wow. My whole Lx cost less than $20k. What is the damage? A rear bumper cover and a rear corner light?
From first glance yes, but the damage goes deeper.

I also got quotes for $5-7k. Problem is that the quarter panel is damaged and the blind spot monitoring/crash detection may not work correctly if the QP isn't replaced with a new one. Apparently that involves removing both passenger side doors, front bumper, and headliner etc. And Toyota says the QP glass is a one time use piece so the shops that have cheap quotes aren't repairing to manufacturer spec. Since it's not on my dime I'd rather get it fixed at the approved place that won't cut any corners.

Sad it has to be completely repaired to OEM before I could replace with a Dissent bumper.

That would go a long ways toward a nice build. Only question is how far would you like to take it? 😉
If I could take that amount and run, I would. Their adjuster cut me a check for $4,500 as a first offer to fix it. I wish it was as easy as slapping a steel bumper on it or high clearance cutting it like you did. I did that to my wife's old GX and liked it. Unfortunately nothing is easy.

I finish this bumper a ways back, but I had two extra parts and I’ve never been able to figure it out I have a pair of these that both look identical,
6288E8D7-ACD9-4917-8B11-4E89A5588B72.jpeg
out where they’re supposed to go. Any ideas
604824E8-938B-442F-9D55-5B22C5A65D6C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom