1HD-FTE Losing Prime When Parked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A couple of thoughts Nick - what are your symptoms apart from loss of prime? Hard starting? Rough running? I’m not guaranteeing, but could the “loss of prime” be a red herring? The primer pump never stays hard, my fte takes a few pumps (just tried it cold - took 10 after its been sitting for a week but I know it’s start straight up), I’ll try it straight at the I’ve turned it off next time but it always takes a few - even my brand new VDJ79 takes 3 pumps straight after shutting down. The fuel should always leak back through the return line - the check valve in the pump keeps the low pressure delivery side at a certain pressure (probably around 2-6psi at a guess), and the primer pump must be able to produce more than this so it will always be able to cycle fuel through it and it must escape via the check valve after running or pumping. Try another Toyota diesel and see if it does the same - at a guess it will behave the same.

If loss of prime through the IP is really the issue - a simple replacement of the check valve is all that would be needed. I’ve done it a few times on big truck pumps and it’s a pretty routine job. Admittedly it’s not something I’ve across with Toyotas or rotary pumps.

EDIT - just tried my HZJ75. 10 pumps cold (it always starts instantly), straight after shutting it down 8 pumps till it’s hard

This is EXACTLY the response I was looking for!

I'll give it another look through next week with some updates.

1666411796944.png

I hve farm equipment that is old and tired. My tractor, my dump truck (international) and my 212 CAT grader all have hte issue of bleeding back. I put one of the above pumps inline and wired it ti the ignition switch on position. When I got to them after months of sitting I turn the key on for about 15-20 sec and they all start immediately. The pumps are 2.5 PSI and dont interfere with the flow from the manual pump. On my dump truck I wired it to a toggle switch on the dashboard turn it on like the others then start it, I then turn the switch off as the manual motor pump does well after it starts. If pumping by hand every time is a problem I'd recommend this approach. Just my 2 cents. $10.99 on Amazon and free shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom