Easiest Way to Replace Speedo Cable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone replace the cable and how did you do it? Looking for some tips before i go for broke.
Figured i would tie/tape a heavy string to gauge end and pull it from underneath truck, then tie to new end and attemp to pull it through the dash minefield.:frown:

It won't go that way. Unhook it from the tranny and it will slide right out. You can lube it and push it back in, might save you some $$$. It definitely won't come out from the dash side.

Pylehooker said:
It won't go that way. Unhook it from the tranny and it will slide right out. You can lube it and push it back in, might save you some $$$. It definitely won't come out from the dash side.

Ok relooked at the post. You are right. You have to do it from the bottom end. Not sure why the string, or why you are replacing. Most can be lubed and salvaged.

There's a grommet where it goes through the transmission tunnel that's a bit fiddly, otherwise it's an easy job.

Is your cable broken or just binding from lack of lube.
If it just needs to be lubed up disconnect it at the TC pull the cable out of the casing clean and lube it and slide back in, I have just done it works like a charm now no squel or needle jump.

Is your cable broken or just binding from lack of lube.
If it just needs to be lubed up disconnect it at the TC pull the cable out of the casing clean and lube it and slide back in, I have just done it works like a charm now no squel or needle jump.

The plastic end that hooks to the gauge is broken. I get oil drippage on my floor.

Hmmm where is the oil coming from there should not be any oil migrating up from the TC at least I did not have that issue since my cable was bone dry of any lubricant.

Hmmm where is the oil coming from there should not be any oil migrating up from the TC at least I did not have that issue since my cable was bone dry of any lubricant.

Well it comes up out of mine.:hillbilly:
Not tons but i always wondered where the drip was coming from. When i pulled the gauge bezel i saw the end was broke and the oil . Guess it was getting in from transfer end.

You may want to check the fluid level of your TC to see if it is over flowing at the fill screw you may have a blown seal from the trany which would be over filling your TC and the pressure could cause fluid to migrate up the cable or your cable was over lubricated at some point there should not be any dripping at the gauges ..yes there would be traces of lube on the end of the cable which is not uncommon on a newer cable or a re-lubed cable but an original cable would be all dried up with gumming like mine was as well as all my others that I have just recently checked last weekend.
Plus there is a rubber peice at the gauge end of the cable that squeezes over the cable and recesses down into the casing this should prevent any fluids from escaping at the gauge end of the cable.

Last edited:
Well i have a new rebuilt transfer case from Georg, so any problem in my old one matters not.

The best would be to post a pic.
Stay tuned.;)

be careful not to rip the grommet....its challenge to get the new cable back in where the grommet will seal correctly. I don't know if there are any tricks to install or not. Hard to get access where the grommet sits.

Hi All, I’ve got a 91 LC and the notched pin has come loose from the cable. See photo. Wondering if there an easier way to fix the end back on rather than pulling dash apart and putting in a new cable. Thanks!

180B60BB-40C0-4D4A-AFB0-0A7D9014E06C.jpeg

2CCDB641-1411-4DEB-88A3-8AB0A2B22D8C.jpeg

9D177A6B-F354-4E8B-928C-F1D5A8AF5579.jpeg

In the old days, a speedmeter shop could fix that easily. Many have bit the dust over the years. You might look online. Could you braze or silver-solder the cable back onto that brass end? Might be worth a try. Or, order a new cable and just slide the inner cable out and install it in your truck.

In the old days, a speedmeter shop could fix that easily. Many have bit the dust over the years. You might look online. Could you braze or silver-solder the cable back onto that brass end? Might be worth a try. Or, order a new cable and just slide the inner cable out and install it in your truck.
Thanks. Yea that’s same idea that me and a mechanic buddy of mine came up with. Thing is it’s such a small fit on the end and concern that adding heat might end up destroying the good cable housing. Most likely gonna go with removing the cable and slide in a new one.

Assuming I have to go with removing the dash cluster to disconnect and then pull the cable thru from the engine case.

On an FJ40 and FJ60, the liner piece can slide right into the the speedo. You may not need to disconnect the housing inside the dash. Not sure how yours is set up, but I think it's the same way.

Try this: disconnect at the xfer case and see if you can pull out the inner piece (the drive cable) with some needle nose pliers. If it comes out, study the dashboard end and if you can just slide in the new cable through the outer casing/liner.

On an FJ40 and FJ60, the liner piece can slide right into the the speedo. You may not need to disconnect the housing inside the dash. Not sure how yours is set up, but I think it's the same way.

Try this: disconnect at the xfer case and see if you can pull out the inner piece (the drive cable) with some needle nose pliers. If it comes out, study the dashboard end and if you can just slide in the new cable through the outer casing/liner.
@SteveH thank you. I’m gonna give that a try.

Hi All, I’ve got a 91 LC and the notched pin has come loose from the cable. See photo. Wondering if there an easier way to fix the end back on rather than pulling dash apart and putting in a new cable. Thanks!

View attachment 3141405

View attachment 3141406

View attachment 3141407

I would replace the cable if you can get a new one, the entire cable assembly. At some point you will not be able to buy them, if you can get one now I would do that. In my view its one of those things that's not really worth screwing around with. If you can't get a new part or replacement part, then you do what you have to do. Replacing the cable is not that bad...its aggrivating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom