80 series used prices...wow! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry to resurrect this thread but it's the most recent I could find on 80 series pricing. It's been a while since this discussion was active, what's everyone's feeling on pricing in October 2022? I've only ever owned 60's and 62's and I have a fairly good idea what prices they command but when I look at pricing on 80's it's all over the place!

Hoping someone who knows what they're talking about can tell me if prices are still ridiculously inflated or if things have settled down?

Sorry to resurrect this thread but it's the most recent I could find on 80 series pricing. It's been a while since this discussion was active, what's everyone's feeling on pricing in October 2022? I've only ever owned 60's and 62's and I have a fairly good idea what prices they command but when I look at pricing on 80's it's all over the place!

Hoping someone who knows what they're talking about can tell me if prices are still ridiculously inflated or if things have settled down?
There still ridiculously inflated !!! LOL

I just sold a 1996 80 LX450 (NOT the clunker) in pretty good overall shape with no lockers for $10,500. I probably coulda held out for more, but I think that was a pretty fair deal.

I really want another 60 (I've sold 2 and regret it), but the wife is firmly against it. It would basically just be a garage ornament, so I'm passing on that idea for now. Even the rusty ones are well over $10k now. Occasionally I'll see someone who doesn't know what they have on craigslist.

My teenage dream car (MKIV Supra) is now up in the $90,000 range for a good one. I have made a pretty decent success of myself over the years and I'm doing pretty good for a 40yo guy, but that still feels out of reach to me. Certainly attainable, but probably not a wise life decision. I can just imagine the conversation with the bank., "Yes, I'd like to take out a 2nd mortgage to buy a mid-90's Toyota, please."

Last edited:
I think 10 to 12k is a fair price range.
But if you look at Recent postings here on Mud for average 80s with 250 to 300 K miles for 20 to 30k that is outrageous to me.

If we enter into 2008-2010 economic times again, 80's will flood the market at a fraction of their current prices.

And hopefully overlanding will f***ing die as well.

That's backwards. Worldwide economy goes south, demand for petroleum goes down, gas prices go down, gas guzzling survivalist vehicles go up.

My teenage dream car (MKIV Supra) is now up in the $90,000 range for a good one. I have made a pretty decent success of myself over the years and I'm doing pretty good for a 40yo guy, but that still feels out of reach to me. Certainly attainable, but probably not a wise life decision. I can just imagine the conversation with the bank., "Yes, I'd like to take out a 2nd mortgage to buy a mid-90's Toyota, please."
Not if you get the NA version of the 2JZ-GTE, i am sure you can pick them up for 1/2 the price and do the NA-T yourself...

If we enter into 2008-2010 economic times again, 80's will flood the market at a fraction of their current prices.

Sorry bud but not gonna happen. The 25 year rule for imports of 90s Japanese cars and trucks didn't happen in 2008 to 2010. This truck is riding the wave of 90s popularity not just being a genuinely good used truck. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug and lots of people have mad money to spend (mostly young boomers and Gen X)

overlanding? sure but that will not die until all ya'll get off Instagram and Facebook

If you want to know where 80 series prices are going just look at prices of 60 and 40 series.

When that first Maggiolina Airlander payment hits and you still owe on your Rigid LEDs

1521593900393.jpg

That's backwards. Worldwide economy goes south, demand for petroleum goes down, gas prices go down, gas guzzling survivalist vehicles go up.

Survivalist vehicle :lol: :lol:

The steady stream of Gen-Xers going through their midlife crisis and realizing they have no personal identity or unique interests will never let overlanding die. “I’ll spend money on XYZ object and therefore become interesting and unique”

Hey, there's nothing wrong with overlanding as long as you're doing it like you're in an Ultra4 truck and overheating your shocks. It just means "I'm camping along the way, but not just because I broke something". 🤩 :rofl::flush:

I still like the idea of the market going to crap so I can wrestle with the thought of buying a spare cruiser.

The steady stream of Gen-Xers going through their midlife crisis and realizing they have no personal identity or unique interests will never let overlanding die. “I’ll spend money on XYZ object and therefore become interesting and unique”
Hey, I identify with that statement.

I'm now the guy who wastes all of his money on an 80. Does that make me more interesting? I hear chicks dig guys who waste all of their money on a 25 year old truck and can't hold a conversation without drifting back towards talking about their 80, the things they've done in their 80, the things they will do in their 80 or the things that need to be fixed on their 80. :cool:

Hey, there's nothing wrong with overlanding as long as you're doing it like you're in an Ultra4 truck and overheating your shocks. It just means "I'm camping along the way, but not just because I broke something". 🤩 :rofl::flush:
Personally, I like overlanding but not calling it overlanding, so I can feel better about myself.

Hey, I identify with that statement.

I'm now the guy who wastes all of his money on an 80. Does that make me more interesting? I hear chicks dig guys who waste all of their money on a 25 year old truck and can't hold a conversation without drifting back towards talking about their 80, the things they've done in their 80, the things they will do in their 80 or the things that need to be fixed on their 80. :cool:
I never said I wasn’t in that pool too :p
Cheers to self-awareness!

I don't make memes but I would caption this as "When one Land Cruiser obsessed person sees another online". I would also accept the 3 spiderman pointing template.

67b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom