Hard wiring a 12v air compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4 1/2 year update!
The compressor is still running as good as the day i installed it… the car has driven plenty of k’s through dust, mud and water and the compressor just keeps on working….
I should take it out to have a look at it one day!

Hey folks! Dumb question but I have a twin compressor off-brand Chinese model that claims 90 amps... Yet the wiring with the clamps that go to the battery is clearly maybe seven or eight gauge. Knowing that the weak link of any system is its most fallible part, how can a compressor be rated to pull 90 amps if from the factory there's no way that the wiring would handle that for more than a minute or so? I ran four gauge wiring from my battery to an Anderson connector which is rated at 50 amps but 120 for Max, but the weak link is still the wiring from the compressor itself. How can any of these Chinese compressors pull 90 amps if all of them have skinny wires for both positive and negative hardwired to the circuit boards?

How can any of these Chinese compressors pull 90 amps if all of them have skinny wires for both positive and negative hardwired to the circuit boards?
It can’t. It’s a typo due to Chinglish translation

It can’t. It’s a typo due to Chinglish translation
I figured...but do you think running as-is with their wires and my Android som SB50 with a proper 60amp heavy-duty fuse on 4 gauge wires direct to battery will be sufficient? I cut back about 1 foot of the thin wires and the weak alligator clamps...

I figured...but do you think running as-is with their wires and my Android som SB50 with a proper 60amp heavy-duty fuse on 4 gauge wires direct to battery will be sufficient? I cut back about 1 foot of the thin wires and the weak alligator clamps...
Whoops...Anderson SB50 not Android som

conceivably it could draw 90 Amps if it shorted out but it definitely wouldn’t pull that while running normally.
For a test you could do a little test hookup with their dinky wires and a few different fuses. Try a 30amp and see if it blows. If it does, put in a 40amo fuse and test.
Eventually, swapping fuses you can see what it’s draw is.
4 AWG wire is huge. Visit the website below to calculate voltage drop. Betcha 8 AWG will be sufficient. (Depending on the length of the wire run)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom