Can't find the timing marks on 1988 FJ62 3FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for the timing marks on my rig in the FSM with no luck, I googled it & came across more than I want to know about the 3F with no luck on the 3FE. My rig is pretty oil soaked & I saw what they look like on the flywheel but couldn'yt find any info where to start in order to find them. Any pics or better description of how to find the described window would be very cool. Also it mentions plugging vacuum hoses but not which ones? Thanks to all

Its there you will see a line and a circle. The window is right above the starter there is a 10mm blot head holding on the cover it prob looks like a blob of grease

Typically, you remove and plug the vacuum advance hose to the distributor when setting the timing. The only thing harder that finding the timing marks is actually reading them with timing light. It's not easy on an 3FE, but it can be done. I think I used a mirror at some point.

Go straight back from engine identification, right below the side cover and you should find it. There might be a rubber cover there like someone had said.
A2D647F4-73E1-4158-9374-12E05A8756E0.jpeg
E73A730E-00F7-4627-9FF2-24B8D7400010.jpeg

Thanks for the help all. Finally found the window- it wasn't even covered. I got the idle down to 650 rpm & attacked the jumper wire but there are no timing marks in sight. I like the idea of painting the marks once Ifind them but after bumping the starter several times cannot find them to paint. Does anyone have an idea how many bumps it might take for a whole rotation of the flywheel? I tried cranking on the fanbelt & it won't budge.... climbing underneath each time to crank it that way seems like a lot more work than bumping the key. I don't have an assistant so any other technique out there would be appreciated in finding those buggers!

You can remove spark plug number 1 and put something like a tissue over/slightly in the spark plug hole. It will blow out when the number one cylinder is coming up. Then you know you are close. I would then put a mark, maybe a silver sharpie, on the bottom of the crank pully when when you locate it. That way, if you need to find the timing marks again, it will get you close. There is an inspection plate underneath, on the bell housing, that you can remove for easy painting or a white sharpie. I have used a large adjustable wrench to rotate the engine via the crank pully without issue. All done by myself. It is a bit of a pain but doable.

good luck

You can also take the distributor cap off and watch for the rotor to line up with #1

This is all great info! This project sounds like it would be easiest to have the air cleaner assembly removed during this entire project including checking & setting the timing? I noticed that assembly has more than just an air filter in it & not quite sure how that would all come into play. Thanks so much for the help, awesome crew we have here on MUD!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom