2015 vs 16+ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im looking at 2 200’s. Can’t go wrong with either. Daily driver, some off roading and camping. Build would probably be lift, wheels, tires and sliders.

Assuming pretty similar price, condition and mileage.

A 2014 Land cruiser
Or
A 2016 LX

The 8 speed and updates are pretty nice on the 16+
But something about a Land Cruiser in name

It's a pretty loaded question and will really come down to your own priority for the Land Cruiser nameplate.

It's subjective, so hard to substantiate, but the LC halo can be a pretty big consideration depending on the individual. Purists where less is more may lean this way. Long term equity and value may be another big factor as for the moment, there's no future LCs in the US market.

Objectively, the LX is going to give you much more. An uber LC wouldn't be far from the truth. The LX always had a significant level of additional equipment. Add in the 2016 update with 8-speed, bigger brakes, many detail changes, along with an additional dollop of tech and standard equipment. It's going to be a pretty huge difference in the level of equipment. Whether that has value to you is a personal choice.

Here's a potential list of differences. Not specific to the model years your looking at (later LCs got some of these goodies) but still a good list to check from.

1) More sound deadening (acoustic glass, engine covers, more extensive interior insulation)
2) Powered rear hatch for open/close, also key fob operated (later LCs got this)
3) Soft open rear lower tailgate, with power latching
4) Surround camera system
5) Ventilated/Heated front row (later LCs got this)
6) Mark Levinson Reference (only other model to get the Reference system is the LS) w/surround (19 speakers vs 14, 10" sub vs 8")
7) Power side view mirrors with auto-fold (later LCs got this)
8) AHC - AVS, lift on demand, adjustable and continuous damping logic, anti-dive/roll/squat, leveling, etc.
9) AHC underbody armor
10) Shorter roof rack (LC has a longer roof rack with 3 supports per side)
11) Steering headlights (AFS)
12) Projector headlights ('16+ LCs got this)
13) Headlight washers
14) Storage in rear seat armrest
15) Power slide rear seats
16) Second row storage on front seatbacks is a panel vs net
17) 14-way adjustable driver seat vs 10-way LC (passenger 12-way vs 8-way)
18) Adjustable tilt front headrests
19) Power stowage for 3rd row seat
20) All windows down by holding remote door open button for 3+ seconds (not sure Toyota's have this?)
21) Substantial Lexus key fob
22) Fade-To-Off interior lighting (I believe LC got this in 2014?)
23) Puddle and side step lights
24) Door sill lighting
25) Interior ambient lighting
26) Additional trunk side light and open tailgate lighting
27) +2hp / +2tq (requires 91 octane, LC is 87 octane)
28) Semi-aniline leather and more luxurious interior appointments
29) Ventilated second row outboard seats
30) Four-zone climate concierge
31) LED Headlamp with AHS Sequential Turn
32) LED Cornering Lamp
33) 12.3-inch high-res split-screen display (LC 9")
34) Head-up display
35) Steering wheel paddle shifter
36) Door puddle projector lamps
37) Rear door retractable sun shades
38) 2020 gets special trims: "LX570 Sport" to "LC Heritage"
39) Dual screen rear entertainment
40) All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (LC DRCC for 25mph and up)
41) Auto air quality air recirculation

If this matters to you: "But something about a Land Cruiser in name", you kind of have your answer. If you are at all like me, you'll never be satisfied if you go in the other direction. When I get something other than what I really want, I usually end up buying twice.

Having owned both I prefer the 8 speed. So opinions clearly vary...
Ive owned an 08, a 13 and now the 18, all with stock size tires. The increased amount and erratic nature of the shifting in the 8 speed drives me crazy. My wife drives it daily and it doesnt bother her so.... The 3UR with the 6 speed is just so perfect, I just dont understand why anyone would want 2 more gears. Why do you like the 8 speed better?

Having owned both I prefer the 8 speed. So opinions clearly vary...
Yep, opinions vary.

I’ve had a 16 and have both a 13 and 15 now. You can’t go wrong with either, but I have become partial to the later 13,14, and 15 set up.

• I didn’t like how the 8 speed shifted in the lower gears in the 16, (but didn’t they work that out by the 18 model year??) I didn‘t realize how much, though, until I bought the 13 and felt how the 6 speed shifts.

• I prefer the simple wheel design on the pre-16’s.

• I don‘t think I used any of the new gadgets the 16 offered that the 13/15‘s don’t already have.

• I’d say the only thing I don’t like about the pre-16’s is the grille. I think it would have looked more up to date and aggressive if the gray finished areas were black.

• On the LX side, I’ve stayed away because it just feels too much, depreciates faster, (although cheaper to purchase too) and whereas I love the idea of the AHC, I just have never liked it in practice, and I don’t think common modifications are as easy with it. I admit to being biased about AHC, though, as the AHC drove me nuts in my 19 Range Rover Sport. Too low on the low setting, just right on the high setting, but you couldn’t keep it on the high setting higher than 50mph. It would automatically go to middle setting. I would have left it high all the time.

Otherwise, I don’t think you’d notice much at all, especially if you like black interiors, which I don’t (its easier to keep the beige leather looking clean and fresh and the black shows every crumb and speck of dust). Beige got deleted after 15. Just terra cotta and black from there on out.

THE 8 SPEED SUCKS

Can confirm, its a ****ing terrible driving experience.
Absolutely the single worst thing about the truck hands down.

I’ve read that after the transmission update it vastly improved

Says who? And what you mean by "update"?
If you mean the terrible 1-2 shifting in the first production runs being addressed by that TSB, that just fixes a single defect.

My LX shifts perfectly through every single gear, and then shifts and then shifts and then shifts.
Its a smooth transmission sure, but it's not quick enough to do what it's trying to do which is provide a smooth efficient map while cruising.
Imagine shifting slowly 6 times before hitting 35 MPH, to save absolutely zero gasoline, then when you want power guess what, its out hunting and fishing unless you're in sport. If it wasn't for custom drive modes or S modes, id have sold the truck week 2.

There are advantages in lower ratios for the 8 speed, and ill be running larger tires and supercharging so I don't really care long term.
I would never commute in this though. I literally could not.
There have been times when i first owned the truck that it almost killed me merging onto the highway. Im not exaggerating.
It would sit there while an 18 wheeler would be barreling up for like 3 seconds. I only use normal D mode while im already on the freeway now.
Ive had to actually change my driving habits to just be safe in this thing.

EDIT:
It pisses me off just thinking about it, a 5.7 NA V8 with **** -all throttle response.
Might as well be a turbo s***box.
And guess what, thats exactly what you get in the LX 600 and LC 300, a turbo hot V s***box on 10 speeds, that barely eeks out an additional 2-4 MPG.
Whats next, 12 gear ratio? Toyota thinks its a lambo or DCT. They are literally out of their minds.

Last edited:
Seems like a small thing, but is a practical one: the LED headlights on the 16+ Land Cruiser (and probably earlier LX) is a game changer. The earlier HID lights, even with upgrades just don't work as well. The factory LED fogs are pretty decent too (not BD, Rigid, or the like, but good for factory).

I did have the wonky shifting on my '16 initially, but applying the TSB resolved it. It shifts fine for me.

An important factor that may make my experience different is that I don't drive highways/freeways much at all. Most of my driving is two lane blacktop or dirt. I have traveled cross country in it though, and at speeds I won't post online, but it handles high speed just fine too.

I'm not saying the '16+ is BETTER than the 08-15, just that opinions vary, and in my opinion, there is not a definitive one better than the other. So for someone new looking for guidance, I'd prefer to keep things balanced.

Personally, I like the more aggressive styling of the '16+. I prefer the interior switchgear and gauge package. But that is all small stuff, and clearly personal preference.

One more thing specifically about the LX I forgot to mention is the leather. Its very very nice leather, but also more delicate. It cannot take abuse like automotive leathers can. Its leather leather. And not saddle leather, its fine leather.

In regard to people hating on the LX. Its the highest trim land cruiser for less money… Comical really if you ask me.

I drive highway all day. No issue with 8 speed. No issue with merging or overtaking.

I have a 2019.

For a rig that's going to be used for heavier workloads, harder use, or more highly modded, I'll take the 8-speed in a heartbeat. Even if there may be trades to daily drivability. Trades that are possibly a result of a much lower first gear and broader range of ratios.

One way to look at it is why do we bother with body on frame, inefficient full time 4WD, and high curb weights if the merit of the cruiser was just for the daily commute? Because there's tangible capability beyond. Not that the 6-speed isn't awesome, but when you have the equivalent 1st gear with 4.88s, stock...I'd take the 8-speed. I might be too logical as more is why I'd take the LX too.

Just did a 1700 mile trip in my LX the 8 speed was great. The only thing I wish I had was another 200 horsepower lol.

Buy the newest Land Cruiser/ LX that fits your budget.

This!

I prefer the 8-speed, I've driven many 200's with the 6-speed for comparison. I prefer the 2016+ facelift both inside and out but I don't mind the 2012-2015 aesthetic either.

I was not a fan of the 8-speed until I had the update done. Since then I have had no issues with it even with all the extra weight I have since added to the vehicle.

Well let me clarify, MY 8 speed definitely sucks. I thought they had solved the transmission issue by late '18, which mine is, but maybe mine has other issues. Regardless, I like the fact that a 6 speed just doesn't shift as much. I dont want to feel the tranny, I want to feel the engine. Every time I start to savor the engine, it shifts! You dont need 8 gears to reach 80 miles an hour in a Land Cruiser. I can see 8 speeds in an M5, or lots of gears when you are pulling a bunch of weight. But everyone knows the only reason they added two more gears was to hopefully grab a tiny bit more fuel mileage in order to help meet federally regulated fuel standards across the fleet. Id probably prefer a 5 speed. Maybe Ill see if I can do an AB60F swap. While looking that up, I just found that the 8 speed is also used on the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport! Great, that will help me sleep better.

I was not a fan of the 8-speed until I had the update done. Since then I have had no issues with it even with all the extra weight I have since added to the vehicle.
Whats the production month of your 18?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom