Builds "The Milk Truck" FJ45 Preservation Sorta (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Bripars40

Just a reminder I am using the entire circuit from the 80 series harness with the oem transmission relay to operate the center diff lock. The hazard pull switch I am using is from a late 70s to early 80s Toyota Hilux. I believe you should be able to use what ever hazard switch you have. The switch plug has 6 pins but I am only using three of them. In the off position the switch disengages the CDL and when pulled it activates the CDL. The switch wiring for your 100 series looks almost the same as the diagram for my 80 harness, given that is true you would want to do the following.

First I don't know what switch you are using but you need to identify the two pins that provide continuity when close and when open.

Connect the Red/Blue from the switch I circled on your diagram to the constant power terminal on your switch.
Connect the Black wire from the switch I circled on your diagram to the switch terminal that has current with the switch pushed in to disengage the CDL
Connect the Black/Red wire from the switch I circled on your diagram to the switch terminal that has current when the switch is pulled and it should engage the CDL

It is possible I reversed the Black and Black red wires, so switch them if needed.

I realize this makes sense to me but may not be clear for you, so let me know if it needs further explanation.

1664999313549 edited.png

@Bripars40

Just a reminder I am using the entire circuit from the 80 series harness with the oem transmission relay to operate the center diff lock. The hazard pull switch I am using is from a late 70s to early 80s Toyota Hilux. I believe you should be able to use what ever hazard switch you have. The switch plug has 6 pins but I am only using three of them. In the off position the switch disengages the CDL and when pulled it activates the CDL. The switch wiring for your 100 series looks almost the same as the diagram for my 80 harness, given that is true you would want to do the following.

First I don't know what switch you are using but you need to identify the two pins that provide continuity when close and when open.

Connect the Red/Blue from the switch I circled on your diagram to the constant power terminal on your switch.
Connect the Black wire from the switch I circled on your diagram to the switch terminal that has current with the switch pushed in to disengage the CDL
Connect the Black/Red wire from the switch I circled on your diagram to the switch terminal that has current when the switch is pulled and it should engage the CDL

It is possible I reversed the Black and Black red wires, so switch them if needed.

I realize this makes sense to me but may not be clear for you, so let me know if it needs further explanation.

View attachment 3133095
Thank you! I’ll test this out as soon as I can get some cruiser time.

I need some help sorting out the wiring for an automatic shifter out of a 2003-2006 100series, it would be used with the a750 transmission.

My shifter for reference:
B77E5515-6449-4A53-BFDB-B024FFFAA850.jpeg

I bought a second shifter to take apart to get a better look at the switches.

E12F2200-2190-4D7A-9839-42524CDC682B.jpeg

This is the plug everything goes through on the shifter. I don’t have a pigtail with the oem wiring to work from and I can’t find a reference in my wiring manuals that shows how the low gear switch should be wired or how the 4/3 gear switch should be wired. I was able to figure out the Shift Lock Switch wiring as the manual has a diagram for that.

4CCF3305-4FAE-419D-A733-5D8CAF8E49C4.jpeg

54E0715F-9B5D-4A31-A7D2-806A82019427.jpeg

I need help figuring out how the bottom two switches on the shifter are wired. A picture of the plug on the oem harness side that plugs into the shifter might help too.

42A00608-1C81-4190-A3D0-3D78A8341622.jpeg

Last edited:
I can send you the EWD for any of those years of 100 series, just let me know where.

Andrew

@Andrew S I bought the EWD for each year from 2003 to 2006 hoping one of them would show me something different. I expect I may have what I need in the manual but don’t recognize it. If you know which page shows the Low Range switch wiring and 4 gear shift wiring I would appreciate you pointing it out.

I couldn’t find a diagram four either of those switches. I appreciate any help you can give me.

The PDF versions I have are odd in that they don't have a sections or table of contents. This is page 150 of 425. I think this is the shifter wiring/switch? I'll look for the low range details.

1665372199974.png

@Andrew S the low range detection switch in that diagram has two wires running through it. The low rang switch on the shifter has three wires all solid colors black, blue, and grey. They don’t match the diagram. This is the issue I keep finding.

just playing devils advocate here, what happens if you test continuity on the low switch when you press it in. I know yours is a 3 wire, but according to the EWD it appears you only need 2 wire functionality. also looks like that 3rd wire might in all likely hood be headed ABS/ trac ECU, so you may get away with only using 2 of the wires that have continuity when the switch is pressed.

I might be way off base though. When I wired mine up, there were also a few differences between the EWDs I could get and what I actually saw in the loom. For me the big one was the key interlock solenoid. Sometimes you just have to try and figure out what the ECU wants and find a way to give it that.

The PDF versions I have are odd in that they don't have a sections or table of contents. This is page 150 of 425. I think this is the shifter wiring/switch? I'll look for the low range details.

View attachment 3136560
If I remember correctly, D20 shows ground when put in 4, and D9 shows ground when put in L. I don't recall if I used the shift lock control ECU, but I believe I did.

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I have all but one wire from each of those two switches identified and I am hoping, like Vossie said, they just send a signal to something I don't need. I am going to wire up what I have and see if it works. I might have what I need to make it work. I will report back later. Thanks again for the help.

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I have all but one wire from each of those two switches identified and I am hoping, like Vossie said, they just send a signal to something I don't need. I am going to wire up what I have and see if it works. I might have what I need to make it work. I will report back later. Thanks again for the help.
If I'm remembering correctly... isn't the shift lock ECU on board of the shifter? Or is it separate?

I vaguely remember the switch wires you're talking about not being in the schematics as well, but I thought the ECU was attached to the shift tower and the pigtail coming out of that had the identified wires posted above.

If I'm remembering correctly... isn't the shift lock ECU on board of the shifter? Or is it separate?

I vaguely remember the switch wires you're talking about not being in the schematics as well, but I thought the ECU was attached to the shift tower and the pigtail coming out of that had the identified wires posted above.
It is on board with the shifter on the a650e, the 5 speed 1uz box. Looks identical to this, only mine is right hand drive so mirrored. The shift lock ecu is what does all the thinking as far as gear shifter and then sends that to the ECU RSPD input, violet colored wire on the 1uz vvti. That's my understanding at least.

Looking at the pics above, looks like the shift lock ecu is there, tucked under the unit where it should be and where that larger pig tail comes from. I think

I had good weather today and took advantage of it to do some work in the bed out side of the garage. Mostly cleaning up some welds and blasting the underside well enough to do some repairs, fill holes and eventually finish the fender wells.
E6D9EF95-465C-41EB-AA98-CBB98C4F3494.jpeg

I wired up the shifter and realized I still needed to make a rod to connect the shifter to the transmission. I modified one I had.
8B70A5D6-D475-4BF7-82BB-B70EDC7370E9.jpeg

After the linkage was installed I hooked up a battery and turned the key. After pressing the break pedal the shift lock functions correctly and I can shift through all of the gears. I realize I can’t completely test the other functions until I drive it. I ran out of time tonight but need to button up a few more things like bleed the brakes and steering fluid, double check the fluids, tidy up the harness, and half a dozen other little things.

I started it up to hear it run again. Can’t wait to drive it! Getting close but far from done.

Last edited:
@Bripars40

View attachment 3133095
Finally had some time tonight to test this and it worked! Thanks for the help and for the idea to use the hazard switch.

Not really anything to show but the brakes are bled, all other fluids are topped off, and enough of the little things are checked off the list that I will probably drive it out of the garage this weekend if it doesn’t rain again.
Something to look forward too!

Yes, it will be the first drive since I started the project. I am looking forward to it!🤞

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom