What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (29 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

5 years and 77k later, I finally rolled over 200k! She is finally broken in! Celebrated with a new sticker, and I might do a detail this weekend!

DBD04D17-D135-4879-81A7-1E094BCAF750.jpeg
45831895-28FA-4EF5-95A1-608AE73E52C7.jpeg
2C06B8C1-92AE-4DBA-B0DE-8E4DA9AAB757.jpeg
3752D6F3-9104-4AC3-A35D-63509C5BD3E0.jpeg
688378B0-F5A6-4673-B4BF-5662142457DB.jpeg

Went to the dealer for an alignment today and change some oils on my other Lexus. While on the alignment rack we ( I ) discovered a damaged torsion bar so no alignment for me after the new rack, all new OEM suspension, and OEM control arms. So, I made do a with sway bar link swap and some not jacked clock spring action. The dealer was pretty butt hurt I did all the previously mentioned stuff on my own so they made sure to find some stuff that is wrong. Hence the clock spring and links. Already knew about the third incoming alternator cause number dos is still howling like a dying cat. Nana nana boo boo stealership. Maybe next time I ask them to do something they'll just take the job I asked for instead of slamming me with a $15k estimate? Here's photos of my sweet clock spring action and links cause we like photos and junk.

IMG_0926[1].JPG

IMG_0951.JPG

Last edited:
Today:
CB466575-AB91-4C34-90C7-613C91AF9678.jpeg

Tomorrows fun will be (hopefully) getting the old spare down, working on rear LCAs and spring spacers. Truck is riding pretty great, if I can iron out the bent-LCA wiggle and tweak the AHC one more time… it might be there (“there” being with the AHC adjusted to be in proper spec, riding on decent tires, and *gasp* maybe even with a fresh alignment), at least for this set of parts.

Today:
View attachment 3133040

Tomorrows fun will be (hopefully) getting the old spare down, working on rear LCAs and spring spacers. Truck is riding pretty great, if I can iron out the bent-LCA wiggle and tweak the AHC one more time… it might be there (“there” being with the AHC adjusted to be in proper spec, riding on decent tires, and *gasp* maybe even with a fresh alignment), at least for this set of parts.
Shhhhhhh!!!!! 🤫🤫 If you say these things too loud you'll end up like my daily trips to the gas station and then using the other vehicle to the parts store/dealer. Land Cruiser gods are fickle creatures, sir. But otherwise happy to hear that allegedly you might could have a decent little ride across the way. :rofl:

New OEM suspension, and OEM control arms. Thermostat and all sway bar bushings, air bags on rear.
446B95B9-5AA4-4A81-93B0-0BC07764857C.jpeg

It’s like a new ride.

New OEM suspension, and OEM control arms. Thermostat and all sway bar bushings, air bags on rear. View attachment 3133148

It’s like a new ride.
Wait a freaking sec, you started this thread! 😳
Way to go man! This is by far the most popular thread on the 100 forum!

Went to the dealer for an alignment today and change some oils on my other Lexus. While on the alignment rack we ( I ) discovered a damaged torsion bar so no alignment for me after the new rack, all new OEM suspension, and OEM control arms. So, I made do a with sway bar link swap and some not jacked clock spring action. The dealer was pretty butt hurt I did all the previously mentioned stuff on my own so they made sure to find some stuff that is wrong. Hence the clock spring and links. Already knew about the third incoming alternator cause number dos is still howling like a dying cat. Nana nana boo boo stealership. Maybe next time I ask them to do something they'll just take the job I asked for instead of slamming me with a $15k estimate? Here's photos of my sweet clock spring action and links cause we like photos and junk.

View attachment 3132861

View attachment 3132871

How was the torsion bar damaged??

Wait a freaking sec, you started this thread! 😳
Way to go man! This is by far the most popular thread on the 100 forum!
I did. That was when I had my last 100 series. I now have 2 different ones. 🤣😋

I love that this thread is so popular but I stole the idea from the 40 forum.

How was the torsion bar damaged??
Not really sure but I'm leaning towards it being lifted improperly at one point in its life. When it is cranked it stops. Even when completely removed and indexed. It gets about 270 degrees into the first turn and just stops. When I pulled it out it has a gouge and a slight bend leading me to believe an improper lift, potentially some off-road damage at some point in its life, or it was over-cranked on a TB lift. Those are all of course W.A.G.s. Was planning an ironman TB swap anyway just with all the other funhouse things I have discovered it was put on the back burner. It might however explain the weird bouncing I get on hard acceleration. Behaves similarly to blown shocks and the driver's side has a sweet gangster lean forward and to the left. Kind of reminiscent of other... um... things.

Reactions: GTV
Not really sure but I'm leaning towards it being lifted improperly at one point in its life. When it is cranked it stops. Even when completely removed and indexed. It gets about 270 degrees into the first turn and just stops. When I pulled it out it has a gouge and a slight bend leading me to believe an improper lift, potentially some off-road damage at some point in its life, or it was over-cranked on a TB lift. Those are all of course W.A.G.s. Was planning an ironman TB swap anyway just with all the other funhouse things I have discovered it was put on the back burner. It might however explain the weird bouncing I get on hard acceleration. Behaves similarly to blown shocks and the driver's side has a sweet gangster lean forward and to the left. Kind of reminiscent of other... um... things.
Just thought of this. They are the original AHC TBs. I was told upon purchasing the AHC had been removed by the PO. It was indeed NOT removed. someone simply removed the AHC lines and zip-tied them to random vacuum lines, fuel lines, and brake lines in and around the engine bay. Left compressor, reservoir, globes, and tank as well, just sort of hanging out. So, that might explain the gouges and warping. Attempting a TB lift with AHC bars might be the reason. Look at me using my brain and stuff. Who knew? 🤷‍♂️

Shhhhhhh!!!!! 🤫🤫 If you say these things too loud you'll end up like my daily trips to the gas station and then using the other vehicle to the parts store/dealer. Land Cruiser gods are fickle creatures, sir. But otherwise happy to hear that allegedly you might could have a decent little ride across the way. :rofl:
Lol - yeah, I know. I'm a fate tempter. I'm still able, at a medium-capable DIYer level to slowly push this thing back toward a little nicer, a little newer every time I fix something, though. It's getting better! It just takes... you know, money and time. (And a little determination to fix the important stuff before splashing out on stuff that would be more "fun," like a rear bumper and tire carrier to improve rear angles for wheelin', or new front seat covers, etc.) I keep chippin away.

View attachment 3132861

View attachment 3132871
As a dealer tech, I promise you we don't care if you do your own work..

As a dealer tech, I promise you we don't care if you do your own work..
I know this to be a fact. And this is not to start a measuring contest or anything because we have likely crossed paths professionally somewhere I apologize if I came across as offensive with my previous statement.

I empathize, sincerely. But this place personifies the stereotype of "stealership". As a former dealer tech, service writer, and manager for the past 20 years myself, I didn't care either. If anything I made more money off people like me because they (me) didn't do something correctly or forgot something usually silly but I got to bill hours for fixing their work. I am totally cool with paying for my mistakes obviously. It's humbling yeah sure, but worth paying another tech to lay eyes on things. As a human, I am really good at mistakes as evident here. My issue is not with techs and their issue isn't with me. It is the poor communication I received there from management and the writer as everyone complains. I asked for something specific. Something I cannot perform laying down a parking lot because of my new disability or because I simply do not have the correct tools or diagnostic equipment. Because this thing is in a different state than where I live. (It never made it to Georgia from Florida). The requests were not relayed/written on the R.O. to the tech performing the work. So why not start making a shopping list on the multi-point right? Then tech is upset because my request/mess has now stopped them from moving on to the next ticket or losing their place in line and they get stuck with some nonpaying recall garbage like floormats or half the correct time that never gets paid for a Takata that's just going to come back in a month for another recall. All dealer techs deserve extra beverages for putting up with writers, managers, and customers.

Anyhoo, I made some progress today. Alternator number four works great! New harness, new fuseable links, new terminals. Amazing when it is all new and all OEM it actually works correctly. TBs were ordered to correct the sweet '64 impala bounce I have going. No more leaks, noises, or other garbage. Goes to show how much extra work being impatient was for me. I should have just waited for the OEM stuff instead of trying to hurry and get it up and running. I have now spent probably twice what the OEM stuff was and a year of waiting for parts that are now readily available. Please learn from my idiocy. Wait and buy the expensive good stuff. Here are more photos and good part numbers.

Apologies for the novel.

IMG_E0957.JPG

IMG_E0958.JPG

IMG_E0960.JPG

Last edited:
Bank 1 Sensor 1 was the last original oxygen sensor on my 100. It had been a trooper for 370,000 miles, but the heater recently failed and triggered a CEL. It was a good run ol' friend. I hope your Denso cousin from Rock Auto lasts 1/2 as long.
PXL_20221006_234658977.PORTRAIT.jpg

Bastard PCV Valve Grommet and PCV Valve changed.

Luckily it was only 5 intense minutes with it trying to crack apart. I was able to get it out with needle nose pliers and a screwdriver, I tried with a screwdriver first leveraging it on the side but it was pushing it in. It was really close to going in once or twice with the big chunk shown until it could rotate sideways and twist out..

IMG_20221007_162406.jpg

Bastard PCV Valve Grommet and PCV Valve changed.

Luckily it was only 5 intense minutes with it trying to crack apart. I was able to get it out with needle nose pliers and a screwdriver, I tried with a screwdriver first leveraging it on the side but it was pushing it in. It was really close to going in once or twice with the big chunk shown until it could rotate sideways and twist out..

View attachment 3134538
How many new curse words in five minutes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom