Aluminum Radiators (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Definitely post your results... I am looking into better cooling rads, but none other than PWR post any actual better cooling results (up to 30%) but they are more than double the price of an aftermarket 4 core aluminum
When I was fighting the water overheating with the turbo’d 2H I ordered a custom radiator from PWR(I think) and it was a very nicely built radiator, and it did the job. Used to have the water temps outrun the EGT’s. After the new rad the EGT outran the water temps. Good cooling with the 12HT, that I’m running now

When I was fighting the water overheating with the turbo’d 2H I ordered a custom radiator from PWR(I think) and it was a very nicely built radiator, and it did the job. Used to have the water temps outrun the EGT’s. After the new rad the EGT outran the water temps. Good cooling with the 12HT, that I’m running now
Thanks for this... I have been thinking that in this case, you ''get what you pay for'' may be the way to think. I also don't want to spend the time changing it all out for 1/2 the money only to find that I should have spent the extra the first time around and be done with it!

Thanks for this... I have been thinking that in this case, you ''get what you pay for'' may be the way to think. I also don't want to spend the time changing it all out for 1/2 the money only to find that I should have spent the extra the first time around and be done with it!

I make the cheap choices and end up paying for it in the long run regularly. Trying to change my ways, one mistake at a time.

I keep in the back of my mind the saying - ''I am not so rich that I can afford to buy cheap!''

That is why I own a Land Cruiser.... haha! 😜

The irony behind it all. Buying a Landcruiser for its dependability & reliability, inadvertently dumping thousands into it over the span of its life.

UPDATE: The ebay Radiator is in my Hj60. I painted it black after a coat of self etch primer. I did not change the water pump or thermostat, just radiator and new coolant. Ill say right now after one drive to work this morning its already cooling 80% better than the old one. Granted the old one started leaking with a pin hole on the top and the fins were rotting out. It was definitely time for a replacement. The coolant was nasty, i dont think the previous owner changed it in a long time. I went with the green stuff diluted 50/50. Ill be driving to Vancouver this weekend over the Coqahalla Hwy and should get a better idea of how its performing. Will update you guys after the trip. :steer:

Just finished a 650Km trip over the Coquihalla, Kamloops to Vancouver and back. Drove the old pig hard. Stock Hj60 with 480k km on the odo - Ebay radiator held out good. Never went past half way on the temp guage the entire time, even pulling the snowshed hill going 80kph @ 3000rpm for the full pull.

Probably shouldn't have drove it so hard, truck is running like s*** now lol

All that's left is the test of time. How long will the ebay rad last? Taking bets.

Thanks @olandevo, this is good information, I appreciate you posting the results. Glad you are happy with the purchase!
Probably shouldn't have drove it so hard, truck is running like s*** now lol
Just curious as to how your land cruiser is running like s*** now? I have done the same pulling a trailer, and would only have to back off on the right pedal when the temps would start to climb, but the drivability never really changed afterwards.

I have a bit of time as cooling is never an issue unless it is hot summer weather... so I also have time to save for the PWR version if I choose to go that route.

Thanks @olandevo, this is good information, I appreciate you posting the results. Glad you are happy with the purchase!

Just curious as to how your land cruiser is running like s*** now? I have done the same pulling a trailer, and would only have to back off on the right pedal when the temps would start to climb, but the drivability never really changed afterwards.

I have a bit of time as cooling is never an issue unless it is hot summer weather... so I also have time to save for the PWR version if I choose to go that route.
I picked this truck up a couple months ago off a guy for pretty cheap here in Kamloops. It's pretty beat ngl, shes been neglected in many facets. Probably hasnt been driven hard in awhile. I suspect ill need to do my valve clearances, probably change out the water separator amongst other things. Just did the basics for now, all fluids, filters, rad. Burns about 1L of oil every 300Km... And smokes like my grampa. Definitely not the best 60 I've ever owned.

Honestly impressed it made the trip without leaving me stranded :blackeye:

Last edited:
OH! Ok, somehow I missed this was on the HJ60 and not on your current build (HZJ75). That makes more sense now. :)

Gosh!! 1L of oil every 300km?? Maybe needs new valve guides as well as an adjustment (if the rings and bottom end are good)

Thanks @olandevo for sharing, experience always trumps the best laid plans... If you are ever down my way let me know and we can grab a coffee together or something.

OH! Ok, somehow I missed this was on the HJ60 and not on your current build (HZJ75). That makes more sense now. :)

Gosh!! 1L of oil every 300km?? Maybe needs new valve guides as well as an adjustment (if the rings and bottom end are good)

Thanks @olandevo for sharing, experience always trumps the best laid plans... If you are ever down my way let me know and we can grab a coffee together or something.
Yeah, im not sure whats wrong with it, i bought it as a get around rig while i finish the 75. Hope to have my current stage of the build done by Cold weather 🤞 Gonna brave salty crappy BC roads with my low km rig this winter. I guess lots of car wash visits will be in order.

My old band played Armstrong metal festival back in 2019 that was the first time i've been there. Probably not the last. Lets meet up sometime for a coffee for sure. Planned or otherwise. I'm always down for a drive.

@olandevo any more updates on the cheap rad? They're even on Amazon now with free shipping.

Was there provision for the shroud?

My recore doesn't quite seem to be keeping up on hot days at altitude, as I gain even more on hill climbs...

I snagged one off eBay a couple years ago when this heap came into my world. Put it in yesterday. I’ll have to keep a close eye on it.
IMG_5490.jpeg

... when this heap came into my world.
View attachment 3352007

🤣🤣🤣 I hear you.

So this is the cheapish one I see all over? Looks pretty nice! Seems to have all the correct attachment points? And shroud provision. What's the story on the rad cap? Does it look like something you can readily find a replacement for if/when the time comes?

Is yours an auto or manual? I don't need a cooler underneath but I do need room to clear the PTO winch drive shaft on the LHS underneath...? It's super close to the OEM unit as it is.

🤣🤣🤣 I hear you.

So this is the cheapish one I see all over? Looks pretty nice! Seems to have all the correct attachment points? And shroud provision. What's the story on the rad cap? Does it look like something you can readily find a replacement for if/when the time comes?

Is yours an auto or manual? I don't need a cooler underneath but I do need room to clear the PTO winch drive shaft on the LHS underneath...? It's super close to the OEM unit as it is.
The radiator is about 1/2” lower at the bottom than the original one, so the hose rests slightly on the stabilizer. I’ll have to figure out what the best solution is for that situation.
The cap that came with the new rad was a 1.1 so I put the previous one on which is the correct .9.

It’s a manual 1FZ-F.

I've got similar ebay radiator.. going on 3 months now and no issues touch wood! It fixed my 100c on hwy's and brought it down to 87-90c gets pretty hot up in Western Australian outback!

Thanks for the feedback folks. My aluminum rad is now on the way. I had my OEM recored last year but with a full load, plus RTT, 33s, and altitude + mountainous terrain, it's not keeping up at highway speeds. This morning with reasonable Egts I was still seeing 93 to 98 C in the upper rad hose at 110 kmh. And it was only 8 degrees C outside. Leaves me no safety margin...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom