Spare tire on Slee rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MCtree

GOLD Star
Threads
Ladies and Gents,

Yesterday I put a new wheel onto my spare tire - which is mounted on the Slee rear bumper.

As I tightened the lug nuts, I noticed the rubber of the tire is squishing up against the black metal bracing of the tire support. (See pic below)

Is this normal? Or is this caused by my new wheel?
I’m wondering if I should get spacers or something.

And I did check, the arm that extends to hold the lug nut is extended out as far as it can go.

Thanks!

E5948D34-C2A3-46BC-B5C1-9020AD8DCAF7.jpeg

I'd imagine that's normal in the sense that that would likely reduce vibrating and rattling.

Does it look like it would puncture the tire? I doubt it could.

Yeah… it does occur to me that when the tire was mounted on the underside of the vehicle, that it pushed on the rubber as well and I just don’t remember it.

And no, I don’t think it will puncture the tire. I just worry about it deforming the tire over time.

It shouldn't cause an issue over time. Do you do a 4 or 5 tire rotation?
Your question embarrasses me. Am I supposed to rotate 5?
Is that the norm?

You're fine, it wont harm the tire. And five tire rotations are good if you want to get use out of your spare but they aren't necessary or required.

Thanks all! You have set my mind at ease.

Now I’ll go back to worrying about break-ins and my catalytic converters being stolen!

Your question embarrasses me. Am I supposed to rotate 5?
Is that the norm?
No need to feel worried or embarrassed, the question was from my own curiosity.

If you did a 4 (which I do) you'll leave the tire on there a long time, if you do a 5, it will be moved around every 5,000 miles or so.

Either way is acceptable so all is good.

It did occur to me that next time I get my 4 tires rotated, I will rotate the spare myself. If I turn it 45 degrees on the holder, I think new spots on the tire will get pressed up against the bumper.
It will also be a good opportunity to see if the spare is accumulating any wear or deformation.

Ladies and Gents,

Yesterday I put a new wheel onto my spare tire - which is mounted on the Slee rear bumper.

As I tightened the lug nuts, I noticed the rubber of the tire is squishing up against the black metal bracing of the tire support. (See pic below)

Is this normal? Or is this caused by my new wheel?
I’m wondering if I should get spacers or something.

And I did check, the arm that extends to hold the lug nut is extended out as far as it can go.

Thanks!

View attachment 3132537
Did you switch to a higher offset wheel? Maybe from an aftermarket back to a OEM Toyota wheel? If you were really worried about it, you could get a single wheel spacer and mount it to your spare tire carrier arm. I'd be surprised though if SLEE didn't design the arm to work fine with an OEM +60 offset wheel.

I should have said in the opener that it’s the same offset. 60mm.

I was vain and wanted the rim on the spare to match the other 4 Heritage wheels now that my spare is on display on the Slee bumper instead of underneath the vehicle.

As an aside, it took the parts department at my local Toyota dealer 4 months to get the right wheel here. Man… I hate to use the word “incompetent”…. But if the wheel fits…

Thanks all! You have set my mind at ease.

Now I’ll go back to worrying about break-ins and my catalytic converters being stolen!

Well great, moving to Houston area next week and was hoping to not worry about that as much anymore. :rofl: ;)

Well great, moving to Houston area next week and was hoping to not worry about that as much anymore. :rofl: ;)

It's an issue everywhere but more so in urban areas. San Antonio is by far the worst of the major cities here, El Paso probably rivals it though, but I try and stay out of that crap hole.

Ha! Yeah. I meant I would worry on road trips. Not Houston!
It’s weird, Houston has absolutely no crime. It’s an f-ing crime-free Shangri-la!

Go ahead and leave your keys in the cup holders.

Haha! Yeah, I'm aware @Tex68w just joking around, but considering I live in the murder capital of the US I imagine it will be somewhat improved.

Good to know @MCtree ! I'll make sure to leave my windows down and Benjamins on the dash for safe keeping as well. ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom