STOP me from buying a Raptor R! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I grew up on LC’s, my dad had a 60 and 80. My first vehicle, that I had to buy myself, was an early 90’s F150. I grew to love the truck and bought a few more after that, including a full size Bronco. I always wanted an LC but couldn’t splurge on them until recently. I told myself back roughly when the V6 Raptor was introduced that if Ford came out with the V8 Raptor again I would get one. Well it’s coming, but with a hefty price! I have my dream car now, a 21 HE, but the Raptor R just keeps getting in my head. It’s like I have my gorgeous brunette but that skanky blonde keeps saying hello! Help!!!

Now if Ford comes out with a full size two door Bronco with a powerful V8, which I know they won’t, that would be the one that gets me.

I'm on the camp that says go get what you want. Life is short and changes all the time. Tomorrow you may not be able to afford that new Ford so get it today.

Objectively if you need/like a pickup truck then there is no contest here, LC is not.

I like to have a reliable truck, something that I keep driving and not have to wrench all the time on it. Life is busy. Ford has plenty of quality issues lately publicly acknowledged by their management and the press. I do not know how much of those problems affect the Raptor but I personally do not want to find out on my own time and money.

I also do not like buying new model cars anymore. I've done it the past and it was painful. I prefer to let others find the bugs and buy after the bugs are fixed and/or at least well known and a solution exists.

Good luck with your quest!

I'm on the camp that says go get what you want. Life is short and changes all the time. Tomorrow you may not be able to afford that new Ford so get it today.

Objectively if you need/like a pickup truck then there is no contest here, LC is not.

I like to have a reliable truck, something that I keep driving and not have to wrench all the time on it. Life is busy. Ford has plenty of quality issues lately publicly acknowledged by their management and the press. I do not know how much of those problems affect the Raptor but I personally do not want to find out on my own time and money.

I also do not like buying new model cars anymore. I've done it the past and it was painful. I prefer to let others find the bugs and buy after the bugs are fixed and/or at least well known and a solution exists.

Good luck with your quest!
It seems many manufacturers are having quality issues as of late and missing features because of supply issues

Scratch the itch!

You're in an envious position. They're such different and special cars. I think only you can decide which one is for you.

Either way, unless you can have both, I suspect you'll have regrets. You'll either miss the excitement of having a Raptor R, or miss the opportunity to ever get an LC HE new again.

I drive in my buddies 2020 Raptor occasionally and after seeing the inside of a TRX, it would be the TRX all day long. The interior is much nicer and seats feel and look better. I don’t know about reliability about either but the TRX sure looks good.

I am a Ford guy through and through, lord knows I have had my fair share of their vehicles over the last 20+ years. That said, Ford is dragging ass right now and their QC is slipping. My buddies recent Raptor build is having all kinds of small issues and he's about done with it. BTW, he's on the Raptor R list as well. Brother in law has a new King Ranch Expedition, it has been in the shop three times since July. Cousins F150 with the generator has had a few warranty issues as well. I still have my order in for a new Bronco once the order banks open back up but I am not all that excited about it with their current issues and games.

I don't get the hype of the Raptor R and TRX, 9-11 mpg's in a truck with a payload of a compact truck and an awful tow rating that requires 93 octane fuel and costs six-figures seems foolish and a poor excuse for a truck. I had first and second gen Raptors, I absolutely hated the 3.5L in the second gen and the 10-speed tranny never knew what gear it wanted to be in, very annoying. If you're on a list for the R and can actually get your hands on one for at or near MSRP and absolutely have to scratch the itch then go for it and get it out of your system. You could easily resell it should you not like it for likely more than you paid for it new. But there's no way in hell I'd let the HE 200 Series go in order to make it happen.

Last edited:
I wasn’t up to speed on this vehicle so I just took a look expecting to find a NA V8…. Well, well, well, a blown V8. With the accompanying specs I can see why you’re tempted. I bet this thing is fun as hell and a rip to drive, especially if you can get it off road where it’s designed to really shine… it’s a completely different vehicle than your 21HE.

As already mentioned, potential quality control issues could spoil this fun rather successfully. I bought a new model Navigator in 2018, mine was one of the first delivered in the state. Needless to say, I’ll never do a first year anything ever again. I’ve had several minor gremlins, a couple medium issues, and the cam phasers which was a big repair for a vehicle with 30k on the clock.

If I were you I’d wait at least until a couple years into this model change. That way you’ll buy after the growing pains of new model year and if a nuclear apocalypse does happen before then you’ll be in much better shape with a cruiser if you’re not vaporized.

STOP. Buy something useful…….like Ford F150 Hybrid with 7.2kW ProPower generator.

If you really have enough money and enough space in your garage, then go for it. Either gorgeous brunette or skanky blonde, I want them all!

Went through a similar thought process ...bounced if off the family. Consensus was "please don't"
Well, my kids say get the Raptor and my wife (the gorgeous brunette) says I’ll miss the LC too much. I know my kids just don’t have the appreciation for the LC yet, but they’ll be fighting over it many years from now. Unlike the LC I know the Raptor would be a 5 year truck and I would already have to start thinking what is going to be available down the road. I fear the powerful V8’s will all be fazed out by then, and I’ll have slim pickings.

I can probably resist for the moment, but when I hear that blown V8 for the first time in person the feelings are going to come back. It was pretty easy to ignore the V6 Raptor because it sounded like a pissed off bumble bee, but throaty V8’s are a different story.

I had a gorgeous blonde that turned out to be a skanky one in the end, I always favor the gorgeous brunettes lol. Or if you’re lucky enough to find a truly gorgeous red head then take that for a spin but caution, most of them are off their rockers and hella mean.

I had a gorgeous blonde that turned out to be a skanky one in the end, I always favor the gorgeous brunettes lol. Or if you’re lucky enough to find a truly gorgeous red head then take that for a spin but caution, most of them are off their rockers and hella mean.

That gorgeous red head for me would be a full size Bronco. I’ll never forget my first!

Keep at LC at home and the Raptor at the hotel near by.... wait, that is not what I am suggesting.

Honestly though, only you can decide for yourself what you want. This does not seem to be a needs decision, but an emotional one..

I personally wouldn't do it. As others have mentioned, the QC with Ford has gone way down. We have had issues with our 2017 F150 since it hit 35k miles and our 19 Super Duty has had numerous recalls already. I think wanting the Raptor would be a fad that will come and go. The LC has impeccable quality and is a vehicle that is designed to last a long time. I think in the short term, you'd enjoy the Raptor, but I think long term, you would miss the LC. Just imagine 5-10 years from now when you see another LC on the road after getting rid of yours. I can imagine that you would probably regret selling it. Like others have said, if you can afford both, get both, but you also have to find what works best for you and your family.

If you have enough disposable income that losing $30k or $40k to depreciation or paying tens of thousands in interest doesn't really bother you, then do whatever the heck you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom