33" Tires on 15" rims (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are disadvantages of 33" tires on 15" wheels, aside from tire availability? I'd like to use my period correct wheels on my FJ40.

Can't speak to all brands but you will likely have trouble finding tires that are 33" in diameter designed to run on the narrow factory wheels.

What are disadvantages of 33" tires on 15" wheels, aside from tire availability? I'd like to use my period correct wheels on my FJ40.

Thousands of 40/55/60/62 enthusiasts run the 33x10.5x15 BFG AT or MT with no problems. The BFG tends to run a bit small compared to the other 33" tires out there.

The only disadvantage I can think of is that nowadays some chain-store tire retailers don't want to install them on stock 15" steelies, to avoid any potential liability. Use a mom-and-pop local tire place instead.

I run the General Grabber X3 in 33x10.50x15 on 5.5” Toyota wheels. They measure right around 32.5” tall on those wheels. Pics for a sense of height/width
33F247FA-E528-4230-83C3-64F1D3053EEC.jpeg
3533C3EF-A0BC-4D2D-AB96-CABE4B5EF724.jpeg

Can't speak to all brands but you will likely have trouble finding tires that are 33" in diameter designed to run on the narrow factory wheels.
Dealing with issue re wheels, tires, and lift. If one desires 33 10.5, what wheel size is best and are lifts required? Is there an alternate size tire, easier to find and buy that looks similar to 33 10.5's. Was looking a 5.5 but issues seem prevalent . thx

35x10.5x15 on stk wheels is just crazy talk.:) Fyi, q78-15 are are approx 35" tall and skinny. I've fit those on stk wheels too.
20220424_201129.jpg

Was looking a 5.5 but issues seem prevalent .

What issues are prevalent? As has been said above in this thread any many times in others, tons of people (myself included) have been running 10.5x33x15 tires on 5.5"-wide stock wheels for decades, with no issues whatsoever.

_DSC4083-X2.jpg

I don't think it's so much the diameter as is the width of the tires available in a 33" tire, mounted to a narrow 6" wheel. Like others have said, most outlets won't mount anything other than what's on the data tag. That said... there are individuals, eventually including myself who will be running 35X12.5 BFG's because they are readily available... Q78's would be perfect for me, but they're very hard to source or only available in bias ply...

Thousands of 40/55/60/62 enthusiasts run the 33x10.5x15 BFG AT or MT with no problems. The BFG tends to run a bit small compared to the other 33" tires out there.

This is what I did with my Pig - looks good. I am on the center of the tread at 40PSI. When I run lower pressure the tread use evens out, but handling feels different.

I run the General Grabber X3 in 33x10.50x15 on 5.5” Toyota wheels. They measure right around 32.5” tall on those wheels. Pics for a sense of height/width View attachment 3133489View attachment 3133491

How do you like that tire?
Looks good!
I bet it costs a LOT less than BFG options...

This is what I did with my Pig - looks good. I am on the center of the tread at 40PSI. When I run lower pressure the tread use evens out, but handling feels different.

How do you like that tire?
Looks good!
I bet it costs a LOT less than BFG options...
I like them, not much besides pavement and some logging roads so far. They aren’t overly loud and don’t induce any odd driving behavior. I chose them over other options mostly because they were the closest to a true 33” tall tire. I believe they’re about an inch over the BFG in actual height when mounted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom