What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20221001_110953.jpg
20221001_140433.jpg
20220919_205942.jpg

A couple pages back I posted that I was at emissions getting my 80 tested. Well she failed, but on the bright side the state of AZ has a program you can apply for. The state will help with $900 worth of repairs, I have to pay a $100 co-pay and anything over $1000.

I did check for vacuum leaks, with no luck. Checked the distributor for oil seepage but nothing.

Today I am picking up a OEM Toyota cap rotor today and will install them. The wires and plug wires have less then 10K miles on them.

After talking to the shop I am hoping it is just the catalytic convertors.

Can you post up what the emissions were from the printout? Some of us can help point you in the right direction...

Not much 80 suspension left on that 80 :hillbilly:

True, but probably the same for both of them...I was mainly pointing out that the 80 has so much more flexibility with the coils than the old leaf spring setup with both on solid axles, even if both were highly modified. I'd take either one in a heartbeat and really enjoyed the vids...:cheers:

View attachment 3132024

@ToyotaDon hopefully this is what you were referring to.

Also, I seen you are from Visalia. My parents live of Akers.

Yes, that is what I was referring to. You are not going to fix that issue with catalytic converters, at least not permanently. What those number show is an extremely rich condition, or possible even a "dead" cylinder (think compression). I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you need to start checking the basics of compression and whether there is something like a leaking injector. Does it even run smoothly?

What a small world with your parents living just across town from me. ;)

Yes, that is what I was referring to. You are not going to fix that issue with catalytic converters, at least not permanently. What those number show is an extremely rich condition, or possible even a "dead" cylinder (think compression). I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you need to start checking the basics of compression and whether there is something like a leaking injector. Does it even run smoothly?

What a small world with your parents living just across town from me. ;)

It does have a slight miss. The injectors were cleaned by a local Cruiser mechanic when he replaced the wire harness.

When you say leaking injector what do you mean?

There are times where it idles like there is a vacuum leak, but I think I found the issue related to that the oil cap was not screwed down tightly.

So after the rebuild on a truck I’m selling I got the 0401 code and after inspecting the exhaust found the y pipe leaking and the front o2 sensor was original. Rear o2 was new oem. So I ordered all new Toyota hardware and gaskets and the maganaflow set up. The rear cat was smoked and all burnt up inside. Assuming from the HG letting go and blowing coolant thru along with 320k miles. Don’t really wanna spend more money on the truck but it’s necessary to pass along a solid running rig to the next person.

98362DDF-89AB-4D98-8D78-FAE4C6AC6E5C.png

FAED463C-63FF-4C2C-B9B8-C893876B32E9.jpeg

BF4EB2DA-6C3C-4E77-B663-5FEE5D3DF137.jpeg

AFCE46B0-CD4E-471A-81DB-E51367460FD7.jpeg

Knuckles & axle are fresh & happy now. Weren’t bad, but truck has a slight extra crispness since. Never had to work on them. Agreed on easy job, just lots to do. Redundant at this point but @cruiseroutfit kit w/ koyos is 👌 and @NLXTACY witsend driver is sweet. Almost no sign of wear after 26 years. Switched birfs anyway. Found a bad trunnion bearing (fell apart upon removal), and PS abs tube broke off from the upper, but was able to fix well enough. Minimal swearing was limited to the fact that I hate hand pumping gear oil.

I still really like the idea of a birf goblet to go along with the oil filter tumbler, which I just ordered from @HemiAlex

View attachment 3131310
You the man!

I’m bound up with work but I can send it by Thursday. Thanks for the order!

Installed my extended stainless steel brake lines. I also made sure to do the lines at the calipers since I was already there. A bit of a no-brainer if you're using 'old rubber' as an excuse to change out the other ones. This one just seemed like it took longer than previous installs. Now, I just need a helper to finish bleeding them.
Yup,, good call. I only happened to notice mine were about to burst when I was adjusting my wheel bearings. I wasn't even inspecting them, just glanced and saw it. Also went with the SS lines, they were even cheaper than OEM. lol
Ran Slick Rock with several other Cruisers. We ran from Utica to Alpine. My first time running the trail in this direction as I usually start from Alpine. It's a whole new trail when you run the opposite way! Great trip and several rigs took home some new scars. Here's two videos

Nice! I love Slick Rock. You sure made that look easy. lol. I always have to do like a 10 point turn on that sharp left hander in your vide when coming down. Never gone from Utica up to Alpine either, always did the "downhill" route. Would love to join next time you guys roll up there!
Plopped some things into a overhead console shell. Tmv71a faceplate, cheap switch panel, and cheap garage door switch wired to an opener. Works well.

View attachment 3130819
Would love more info on this, this is awesome!

Would love more info on this, this is awesome!
Thank you.

I bought the console shell from the classifieds. Took the smaller factory console out and reused the mounting hardware from it. The new overhead console has two additional mounting points on the windshield side so I bought a pack of these:
I used the mounting holes of the console to guide a pick up through he headliner to locate the existing threaded holes. Opened the headliner holes up slightly so the new screws would go in.
It mounts solidly.

Next up was to trim the factory visors. I copied elmariachis excellent work in post 1 of his thread.
My visor mod does not look as good as his but it works.

Next I bought a switch panel, garage switch, and blank. These can be found cheaper other places and a two switch panel would be less wasteful.
The blank had to be filed quite a bit to fit the panel.
I thought about getting a witsend useless cubby panel and shape it to fit so I could use factory switches but didn’t want to do that to his amazing parts for this expirement. I couldn’t find any other options so used the newer style Toyota switches.

I made sure the tmv71a controls and two switches would fit in the opening. Easy. I was going to make a bracket to screw into the console to hold the tmv71a controls but the flats of the controls matched up to flats in the overhead console, and it was already a close fit so I took the easy route and two-sided taped it in place. The controls are light and it doesn’t budge so I’m good with it. The switch panel needed quite a bit of shaping to fit but it also had enough flat areas to two sided tape it in place too. No movement from anything up there. I trimmed some plastic sheet I had laying around to dress up any gaps between the v71a and console.

I soldered the garage switch to my garage door opener. There’s enough room in the overhead console for the garage door opener to stay up there out of sight. The idea came from here. HOW TO: installing a garage door opener into your 80 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how-to-installing-a-garage-door-opener-into-your-80.228971/
I left the garage door opener fully assembled and just ran the wire out of the opener housing to the switch.

I got a Kenwood dfk-3d extender kit and ran the extension cable as well as the garage switch backlight wire above the headliner and down the apillar. Length was perfect.

The tmv71a main body is under the driver seat. Mic sits in a pocket in the front of my marathon seat cover. I don’t have an external speaker because I can hear fine the way it is.

I had a mag antenna on the roof but had to move it every time I parked so moved the antenna to a MMS hood bracket.

it works very well and cleaned up my dash and center console. It’s also fully reversible if ever needed.

24654A12-4FE5-493E-B91A-D28BA0D6FC4D.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice! I love Slick Rock. You sure made that look easy. lol. I always have to do like a 10 point turn on that sharp left hander in your vide when coming down. Never gone from Utica up to Alpine either, always did the "downhill" route. Would love to join next time you guys roll up there!

Are you on IG? That's where most of us chat and planned out this trip.

Just put your rear tire over it! But yeah it's a tight corner and that rock loves to catch your diff from all angles. It's a lot more chewed up now. This was last year going downhill

Installed Rosen visors on the Red
Was this a recent purchase? Hard to tell but does it fully cover the opening on the headliner or still too small on the mount? Looks to still be the small, too small mount bracket and still no change.... I think it has been 2 years now they told me they were working on revising the mount.

Was this a recent purchase? Hard to tell but does it fully cover the opening on the headliner or still too small on the mount? Looks to still be the small, too small mount bracket and still no change.... I think it has been 2 years now they told me they were working on revising the mount.

Just bought some recently - does not cover the full opening. I doubt they'll be making changes, I asked and they only had the one mount which they're probably using for most applications.

This past weekend I did Black Bear Pass / Alta Lakes / Imogene Pass / Poughkeepsie Gulch with a jeep buddy. The fall colors were spectacular, and the weather not too cold yet. The hills were crawling with photographers - we lucked into being there probably the best weekend for foliage. We did start seeing some snow toward the end. I had to winch on Poughkeepsie due to the wet/mud.

1665003659299.png

1665003698473.png

1665003802715.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom