Kleen60 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

orikawa

orikawa
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.orikawa.net
Never started a thread when I first got my girl, Gina, in 2007 but have been much more active lately so I figure it's time for a download.

Her backstory started with me getting either a motorcycle or truck, in Phoenix, and my buddy teaching me to ride crashing in front of my house for my mother (a nurse) to clean up his mess. She said " you gonna get a bike or a truck ? " and it wasn't a question. Next day at work my boss tells me he has a truck for me that needs some work. Thousand bucks and a tow later she's at my house. 2F starts with 160k on it after just some starting fluid (fluid changes of course) then a massive 'tune-up' including resolving a cracked manifold and other larger issues. But underneath the layers of dust, both from Phoenix itself and the disintegrated plastic trim and foam, was a completely rust free one owner desert gem.

The idea has always been restomod with the major departure being the Cummins R2.8. I had my reservations about getting in early on the R2.8 release but it has been a great engine so far (7000mi) with around 25mpg and enough power that I can't complain. Otherwise, it is OEM USA and JDM, and a few small changes and add-ons.

She's no where near 'complete' but she'll earn that moniker in the next year... I don't mean to blaspheme, nothing is complete in this world, but 'out of country road trip ready in 2023 with style' is the bar.

Big thanks to @kelly saad who did the paint on Gina and who I share a shop with now in Flagstaff AZ.

Gonna start with some fun features from NOW and work back, flashback style, to some rare-never-before-seen archival footage (hahha) of her early days

20221001_182021.jpg

20221001_181118.jpg

After paint and body was completed early this year, around Overland Expo Flagstaff, I started working on addressing the interior. Due to it being a Phoenix truck, left in a driveway, the paint was dust, plastic was dust, foam was dust, the dust was dusty and so on. I had always driven around with a ratty interior as she has been and always will be a dog hauler.

The interior is currently out but HJ61 suspension fronts and the split back rears are going in ASAP. They've sat around for a while and still may swap the seat/body mounts to the late 60 so I don't have to fool around with the brackets. Gina is a 1983... I suppose that is relevant.

Everything else will be custom. Everything. I started orikawa.net to flesh out my idea of utilitarian, clean lined, OEM 'homage' parts... if Toyota had a skunk works or expedition team in the 1980's. Plus, I freakin love aluminum and am overall too stubborn to not want to start from scratch and tinker on damn near everything. That whole deal is for another time but it is a good time to thank the one and only OG Kevin Rowland @ Wagon Gear for his no joke truly inspirational build, contributions to the LC community, and Wagon Gear in total. He will always be unrivaled in LC storage and I personally am grateful for near 15 years of inspiration.

MOD LIST:
LandCruiser Grilles Grille - sorry Kelly, I touched that too though
4 Plus Rear Bumper - acquired from Tim Hill in Tucson, 1 of 5 iirc for the movie The Kingdom, and sorry Dave - I put some coverage 'wings' on the side
OME Suspension 2.5"
Cummins R2.8
- cut own adapters. Overland Cruisers Stephen Bajkiewicz saved me with a critical measurement and does great R2.8 installs

HJ61 Cable Lockers - do your research on a reputable importer... there are several and if it doesn't seem right: choose someone else.
H55 5-Speed
Knock off Volk from eBay - gonna tear them up and not paying 4k$ for a set just yet.

one very subtle change I will have to document somewhere else too: Caswell Stainless Steel Blackener on the chrome locking strips and outer window felt frame, soaked and applied with fine Scotch Brite pad. Turned out crazy good for those who have good chrome but are sick of the lawsuits from blinding all those women and children. I suppose dudes get blinded too but are just too proud to admit they were pining over your truck.

IMG_20220528_191921_01.jpg

I like your engine choice. I've often dreamed about a 4bt or 6bt in a 60. The R2.8 didn't cross my mind, but being that its a brand new crate engine stock turbo 4 cylinder makes me like it even more. I'm impressed with the specs as it's a very close comparison to the 1hdt in power while out performing it in fuel economy. I assume the crate motor came with a custom wiring harness as well? Damn i'd love to drop one of these in my beater once she's built.

How hard of a time was it to adapt into the 60 series engine bay? Teaming with the H55 probably a custom adapter plate i assume, considering you were overlooking the job when you had Overland Cruisers put it in.

I like your engine choice. I've often dreamed about a 4bt or 6bt in a 60. The R2.8 didn't cross my mind, but being that its a brand new crate engine stock turbo 4 cylinder makes me like it even more. I'm impressed with the specs as it's a very close comparison to the 1hdt in power while out performing it in fuel economy. I assume the crate motor came with a custom wiring harness as well? Damn i'd love to drop one of these in my beater once she's built.

How hard of a time was it to adapt into the 60 series engine bay? Teaming with the H55 probably a custom adapter plate i assume, considering you were overlooking the job when you had Overland Cruisers put it in.
So I did cut my own adapters and do the entire install 'myself' but with help from friends along the way including the engineers and machinists at my old job who did the actual programming and cutting of the adapters. @OverLand Cruisers came in clutch at one Overland Expo and said the ideal distance from bellhousing face to R2.8 was 2"... I only had an inch at that time. Cut another 'top hat' (flywheel to flywheel) and another 1 inch spacer adapter and it clears the heater valve on the passenger firewall perfectly.

As far as a 1HDT competitor... you look at @ofer bruhis builds and you're green with envy faster than Bruce Banner after his girlfriend said shes cheating on him. :crybaby:

As far as a 1HDT competitor... you look at @ofer bruhis builds and you're green with envy faster than Bruce Banner after his girlfriend said shes cheating on him. :crybaby:
I meant compared to stock setup (citing online stock specs). Of course when you build a 1HDT to its full potential it will be a sick motor. Makes me wonder what the 2.8 is capable of if you stacked it with upgrades :grinpimp:

So I did cut my own adapters and do the entire install 'myself' but with help from friends along the way including the engineers and machinists at my old job who did the actual programming and cutting of the adapters. @OverLand Cruisers came in clutch at one Overland Expo and said the ideal distance from bellhousing face to R2.8 was 2"... I only had an inch at that time. Cut another 'top hat' (flywheel to flywheel) and another 1 inch spacer adapter and it clears the heater valve on the passenger firewall perfectly.

Spencer,

Your 60 is to drool for... It is amazing.

Cheers mate.

see you soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom