Vehicle Theft History (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I am in the process of buying a 2018 LX, upon checking service history using the vin number on Lexus I noticed something interesting, the previous owner have reprogramd the key around 31k mile and claim the vehicle had been stolen. I immediately checked NCIB but no records. Then I checked both Autocheck and Carfax, neither has theft record.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

Screenshot_20221004_005328_Chrome~2.jpg

The service history has what the owner said not necessarily what happened.

Was a new key used for programming or reprogrammed the old keys?

“Honey I wasn’t parked outside that woman’s house, someone stole the car and left it there! Yeah that’s it.”

The service history has what the owner said not necessarily what happened.

Was a new key used for programming or reprogrammed the old keys?
Based on description looks like it is a reprogram of the old key, maybe I will call the dealership and hopefully they can provide more details.

What will be difference between scenario new key and old key?

New key will suggest customer telling a little lie to get a discount for a key that he lost.
Old key may support his claim.
Good to check with the dealer although chances are they will not remember what happened 3 years ago.
On the other hand if the car run fine for 3 years the fact that was stolen or not has little importance, provided you do have the car inspected. And no official record means the resale value should hold.

New key will suggest customer telling a little lie to get a discount for a key that he lost.
Old key may support his claim.
Good to check with the dealer although chances are they will not remember what happened 3 years ago.
On the other hand if the car run fine for 3 years the fact that was stolen or not has little importance, provided you do have the car inspected. And no official record means the resale value should hold.
Thanks for the explanation, that is a plausible scenario. Like you said and I agree as long as it runs fine and no official to support the stolen cliam it should be fine. This one has 80k miles and previous owner do 5k interval services, PPI came back ok too, the only thing that raises my eyebrow is the interesting record.

Car is gone, check EX Spouse's house, there it is, I'm taking this straight to the dealer and getting new keys!

Car is gone, check EX Spouse's house, there it is, I'm taking this straight to the dealer and getting new keys!
I was thinking more along the lines of the ex in possession of the second set of keys and is reprogramming to prevent access. Same as one would with a house.

Last edited:
Nice truck, I have an ‘18 in Nebula; it’s been great. It was also stolen for a few hours right after I bought it, damaged the door handle and I had to get new keys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom