Are all 3rd Gen Taco owners.. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m running 255/85s on mine. 33.2” tall, but same width as stock. It will look fantastic when I get my lift in. Tires really fill the wells right now, but ZERO rubbing anywhere with stock suspension in the TRD OR DC. Man, that’s too many acronyms...
I’m looking to buy the same tire size. I loved the S/T Maxx I had on the 80. with doing 5 tire rotations I got over 70k out of them, and that was with 37’s.

That’s great! I went through two sets on my 3500 and averaged 50,000 on them, but that was 4 tire rotations and on a vehicle weighing 12,000 lbs with 850 lb-ft of torque and 385 hp. I drove it a little hard too. They are a great tire.

The 255/85 is great on the Taco. Doesn’t hang past the flares, and doesn’t seem to rob too much power. I’m sure there is a bit of drop, but I put them on two days in so I didn’t notice really. You might, having had your stock tires on longer. I put the stockers on my 100 to sell it, and took the 255s off that.

I have 235/85s on mine and they're great. I had no idea 255s would fit or i might have bought them instead. 235s are just so common and available, and I like the E rating.

to the OP, I am not sure yet. I just got my Tacoma in Augs and my only trip off road ended 3 days early because of problems with my truck.
I come over from a GX470 and many Toyota pickups before, 6 of them. I would like to think this truck will not change my attitude on the trail. LOL

Oct1981 FJ40
86FJ60 (hibernating)
2009FJC handing to my son in 2yrs
2021 Tacoma OR,DC,LB,Locked&Loaded.
Loving the multiple cameras.Trailview
Definitely needs an OVTune. Stock tune sux balls and this tranny hunts.......

Most clowns driving 05+ tacos are doing so because its trendy.
The Jap trucks are way better.
It's where all the Subaru kids go when they grow up. There is a serious trend in people trading in Subarus on Tacomas. I took a slightly longer route here myself. 1st gen Pathfinder > Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX > Dodge Durango > Saabaru > Subaru > Subaru > Audi > Tacoma > FJ40

It's where all the Subaru kids go when they grow up. There is a serious trend in people trading in Subarus on Tacomas. I took a slightly longer route here myself. 1st gen Pathfinder > Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX > Dodge Durango > Saabaru > Subaru > Subaru > Audi > Tacoma > FJ40
Its funny to see in the "Overlanding" Forums on the Book of Faces all of the Subaru guys who put RTTs on, light bars, and lift their Subie and 12-18 months later they post up pictures of the Tacoma or 4Runner that they traded their Subie in on...

I went: FJ40->4Runner->Tacoma
I stll have the FJ40, though, and I am working on a resto-mod.

I keep going back 'n forth: 2023 Crosstrek Spec Ed in Khaki or 2023 Taco TRD Off Road ... ⁉️

Interesting how each Toyota truck has a different crowd. I agree with Vorsheer that Tacomas bring in a lot of newer folks, as well as folks who are only casual offroaders. In addition, anyone with a decent credit score can go out and drive a Tacoma, not like FJ40s, 45s, or 55s s that require a lot of wrenching (or deep pockets), and therefore, an appreciation for each other.

If you are old, you would know that every new generation from the pick ups on is said to be the worst, until it's the best and then a new generation comes out that will surely be the end of it all. People can be interesting, to say the least.

Interesting how each Toyota truck has a different crowd. I agree with Vorsheer that Tacomas bring in a lot of newer folks, as well as folks who are only casual offroaders. In addition, anyone with a decent credit score can go out and drive a Tacoma, not like FJ40s, 45s, or 55s s that require a lot of wrenching (or deep pockets), and therefore, an appreciation for each other.
I can tell you that my 2019 TRD Pro requires MORE wrenching and deeper pockets to keep up with any my any of my 40's or 80. This truck IS NOT suited for moderate off road trails without large dollar mods. I know because we have busted it several times testing its limits. It does great on the beach, in the snow, on the green trails. To keep up with the TLC she needs all new HD control arms, HD spindles and the biggest tires you can get on it. And always an alignment. And don't ask it to climb too steep of a hill or the computer will shut off the engine! All this makes me mad so if I act like a douchebag, I'm just PO'd that I didn't bring a TLC!.

I can tell you that my 2019 TRD Pro requires MORE wrenching and deeper pockets to keep up with any my any of my 40's or 80. This truck IS NOT suited for moderate off road trails without large dollar mods. I know because we have busted it several times testing its limits. It does great on the beach, in the snow, on the green trails. To keep up with the TLC she needs all new HD control arms, HD spindles and the biggest tires you can get on it. And always an alignment. And don't ask it to climb too steep of a hill or the computer will shut off the engine! All this makes me mad so if I act like a douchebag, I'm just PO'd that I didn't bring a TLC!.
The 80 series is the pinnacle

Seems like the Tacoma peaked at the 2nd generation.
I run a 2nd gen Tacoma which is probably over loaded significantly. I beat the ever living tar out of it and it has been *less* maintenance or issues than my FJ40 which I used very similarly.

I climb steep stuff (Poughkeepsie Gulch), all while loaded down.

I am at 200k miles, on my second set of wheel bearings, 4th set of brakes, but stock tie rods, sway bar links, CVs. I did regear but that was also to add ARBs.

Guess the 2nd gen is the best of the breed for the Tacoma?

So as a dumb Easterner, I just looked up Poughkeepsie Gulch. That looks very similar to some of the rougher trails at Anthracite in PA. The exception being we have more trees. Add trees tight to the trail, tight turns with a long wheelbase and you have no choice but to drive over anything between the trees.
I would imagine the 2nd Gen is tougher.
There is nothing PRO about a TRD PRO in my estimation.

So as a dumb Easterner, I just looked up Poughkeepsie Gulch. That looks very similar to some of the rougher trails at Anthracite in PA. The exception being we have more trees. Add trees tight to the trail, tight turns with a long wheelbase and you have no choice but to drive over anything between the trees.
I would imagine the 2nd Gen is tougher.
There is nothing PRO about a TRD PRO in my estimation.
Poughkeepsie Gulch is also well over 10,000' (3050 meters for the continental folks). So not a lot of trees that high. Lower down the trail there is some tight stuff between trees. My tacoma has a lot of Utah/Colorado pinstripes on in as a result.

Long post ... sorry not sorry. I joined this site when I bought an '87 4Runner and was looking for advice about it. I sold it and haven't been back in awhile but this thread caught my attention. I'm surprised about the hate towards the current Tacoma. I know a lot of people miss the 4.0, but I think the current truck is a pretty perfect mix of new and old tech. I have had an '87, '90, and now 2020 toyota truck and have enjoyed them all.

I'm relatively new to the 3rd gen Tacoma world, but I would agree. I see a lot of D Bag tacoma owners (2nd gen too), but the same can be said for any "group". I do find it amusing the number of over-built and accessorized trucks that probably never leave the pavement, let alone go overlanding or truly wheeling. I agree that there are a lot of youngish people who want to get into the overlanding / offroading scene tend to jump into a newer Tacoma without knowing much else about what they're buying. I bet the Jeep crowd is probably even worse. I see plenty of awful JL builds with the hideous "grumper" front end, neon under lighting, on 22s with low profile street tires. I almost never see a Tacoma like that.

---

This is my story of how people like me who really want an old toyota truck or LC 40/60/80 or an older Tacoma end up buying a 3rd gen Tacoma. Of all the newer "cool bro" vehicles, I actually think it is comparatively low on the D-Bag scale (this scale is completely made up by me and posted at the bottom for those of you who really have a hard time sleeping). The 3G tacoma is annoying enough that anyone who is a true D-Bag would test drive it and buy a BMW instead., or bur one and trade it in after a few months. The people who buy one, upgrade a bunch of stuff for no reason, and then try to sell it at a profit are quite abnoxious though.

I got mine because I wanted to downsize from a full-sized truck (Ram 1500) into something smaller and simpler, and I really wanted a stick shift before they go away. It is my DD, so I needed something safe, relatively comfortable, and with a few modern conveniences (seat heaters were mandatory and phone connection was nice. The rest of the new electronic stuff I can live without).

It came with a few nice modifications, most of which I actually do utilize (2" bilstein 5100 lift, SCS wheels, 33" Toyo RT tires, Prinzu rack, RSI Smartcap, CBI sliders). I don't have a bunch of extra s*** bolted / strapped to the racks, but I can and will when I need to. I'm hoping this puts me to 1/2 D-Bag level at the worst. And I do follow trail etiquette when I'm offroad. It's not hard. Yield, wave, say hi, and help out when needed ... duh.

Most of my real trail time has been to get somewhere to start an even better hike or MTB ride though. I have been quite impressed at how far my truck will go. The electronic setting can be a bit complicated, but they can be helpful. If you know how to work the buttons and switches, I can run mine in 4low without any electronic assistance and can lock the rear diff as needed with a push of a button. Not like a 40 with mechanical levers, but it works damned well. I made it a mile past a built JK with my bike on the hitch, and could've gone a lot farther if I was up for some more undercarriage damage and maybe a few body dings.

---

10: Something custom that never goes off-road. Fancy vans, Earthmobiles, and the crazy camper builds go here. If you are really going to live in it and travel to amazing places you are forgiven and get a score of -5. I'd love to live in a $500,000 camper with a different view every day and no permanent neighbors.
9: Mercedes G-Wagen that never goes off-road. It's a military truck and probably one of the most capable stock vehicles available, but they come with huge wheels and dumb tires and most owners will never take it off pavement and will never use the triple lockers unless they think it's for extra security at the salon. I really wish they sold a stripped out cloth seat no options package with a naturally aspirated V8 (or diesel) for the price of a landcruiser.
8: New land Rover Defender ... same a the G-Wagen but probably less reliable. All Land Rovers / Range Rovers fall into this category. I do love to see any of them with some mud and pinstripes though. They get a score of 0, and -5 if they know how to take care of it without needing a loaner from the nearest dealership.
7: Ford Raptor that doesn't get to jump in the Desert. Amazing truck that most people don't use for what it's built for. Same for the Ram TRX.
6: 200 LC that doesn't leave the pavement. Nobody need the capability built into the LC for their daily driver. The highlander is a better DD in every way. I think 200s are going to be a great buy in a few more years when they are getting a bit old with 100k pavement miles. Ripe for a build and will probably still last forever. 100s are there now. Most of them spent 100k miles on pavement but aren't cool enough to cruise the suburbs anymore.
- I wish we could get the foreign market LC200 here. Same as the G-Wagen.
- I visited my Wife's uncle in Bolivia in 2009 or so . The LC 200 had just come out and he was driving a brand new 200 with cloth seats and a 6 spd manual connected to a V6 engine. Perfect vehicle if you don't need to go fast or have a bunch of fancy options. It had all the same suspension and traction control options, but it was otherwise quite basic spec and had 17" steel wheels and real tires. I hate that most our best vehicles in USA are way too fancy and are designed and marketed as suburban mallcruiers, while the rest of the world gets the real offroad version.
6: Restored / modded 40s that never leave the pavement. The really nice builds are for people who would otherwise but #9 or #8 but want to look cooler. Restored Broncos are even worse, but his is a Toyota forum after all.
5: New bronco. We'll see, but I think some will use them as intended and most will stay on pavement.
4: FJ cruisers. Great truck but prices are absurd and, again, most people don't use them as intended. Back seat sucks.
4: Newer Tacomas. Also 4Runners. LIfted subarus are probably in this zone.
3: Old jeeps that get used.
2: Old tacomas that get used.
1: Beat down old 4WD vehicles of an sort that are still going offroad.
0: Hikers / bikers passing any of the above vehicles
-5: Old, unrestored, unmodified FJ/jeep/scout out there outrunning modern vehicles on the trail while the driver smiles and waves and offers to help out if needed.
-10: Millenium falcon

FWIW ... my relevant vehicle history:
1988 VW quantum wagon. Inline 5 cyl AWD wagon with a locking center diff. Audi 5000 with a VW badge. 5 spd manual
1989VW vanagon Syncro (wish my parents would've kept it ... worth more than a new sprinter). 4 speed manual w/ low gear and center / rear diff locks from the factory.
1990 Toyota "Truck". Single cab, 3.0 V6 (terrible slow but more low range torque than the new 3.5). 5 spd manual. 10 MPG and 60 MPH max. Ex GF totalled in 2005.
2007 VW touareg. V6 with air suspension and and dual lockers. It probably would have done great offroad if it had better tires and some armor, but it was way too fancy and very expensive to fix, which happened a lot in the 2 years I drove it. It came with air suspension, low range, and lockers, but 20" wheels and summer tires. WTF is that. I did swap to 18s and decent tires but sold it anyway.
2011 VW Golf TDI.
1987 4Runner. 22RE. 5 spd. Great truck. Add a leaf, 33' tires on sequoia rims. Plastidipped the whole thing in tan. Top off with a modified best-top bikini. This is the truck that introduced me to this site. Unfortunately had to sell it because I moved ad the HOA did not allow a rusty old truck parked on the street. I sure hope it's still rumbling along out there somewhere.
2007 X-Terra Pre-4X. 6 spd manual. Low range and lockers as well. Acres of plastic. s***ty stock suspension.
2016 Ram 1500 ecodiesel. Great truck. Lots of maintenance.
2016 VW GTI. 6 spd manual. Amazing car. Simple, fun, and fast. No issues over 60k miles. Sold because I didn't drive it enough and wanted a Tacoma (yep ... D-Bag move). Should've kept the '87 and the GTI.
2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 cummins. ARB lockers and onboard compressor. Bumpers, winch. Upgraded turbo and transmission. Sweet truck but it's loud and stinky. Tows great, but horrible DD.
Next ... looking at the new sequoia if they ever come to market. Or maybe a 2020 sequoia and a new bike or 2.

Last edited:
I took a short wheeling trip with my wife and daughter to north Georgia. Up and around Tray mtn and Tullulah river area. I drove my 18 Tacoma 4x4.

Out of all the people we saw on the trails, the Jeep folks were the nicest. They all waved, yielded, said hi and/or smiled and waved. To my suprise, a group of 3rd gen Tacoma’s were the most rude/unsocial.

So are all 3rd gen Tacoma people Jerks?
Obviously I’m being a little facetious. But I honestly have never met a more “unpleasant” group of people.
I have seen this too many times. I have a 80 CJ and 89 Grand Wagoneer. The forums and drivers all seem pretty cool and willing to help. In the Tacoma forums, you need to have thick skin. I like to think I am one of the nice guys out there. :) I just made a front winch bumper out of an old network rack and scrap to pull out the A@#$@#$ so they can take a hit on their pride.

Capture1.JPG

I have seen this too many times. I have a 80 CJ and 89 Grand Wagoneer. The forums and drivers all seem pretty cool and willing to help. In the Tacoma forums, you need to have thick skin. I like to think I am one of the nice guys out there. :) I just made a front winch bumper out of an old network rack and scrap to pull out the A@#$@#$ so they can take a hit on their pride.

View attachment 3131463
And you own a RAM. ;)🍻

And you own a RAM. ;)🍻
Ok. full list. with plans
1980 CJ. Wheel until it breaks (often)
1989 SJ Wheel but keep nicer. (maybe a manual conversion)
1997 12v Cut a few feet out of the frame, push front axle forward, 40s, massage the 12 vavle a bit. etc.
2019 taco daily and wheel (it has working AC) build up a bit
2021 rav4 prime Wilf will not let me touch it (Yet)
1976 AquaSport bass boat Just get it running

All of these will be put don't the 5 Lakes Garage YouTube Channel. You can follow if you like. Not sure if the outside link will be permitted. https://www.youtube.com/c/5LakesGarage

Ridiculous IMO.
I was thinking about this recently. My first yotas were only 10-15 yo when purchased, in running condition. Both under 1500$.
What are the odds of finding an 05-09 taco for 1500$?
Yeah, no kidding. I took a mint ‘87 Toyota in payment for a survey. It was a $1,000 job. The guy’s wife’s family owned a Chevy dealership and an old man, original owner, traded it in.

That truck is why I bought a 2013 Tacoma and made it a survey wagon. Still own it and probably always will. I paid $24k for the ‘13 and they were selling for $35 (customer owned the Toyota dealership).

Got lucky twice and would pounce on another such deal if it showed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom