Front suspension squeek/creak (low frequency) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think the noise is suspension from driver front side. This happens upon compression going over bumps. It feels more like a creak though... My tie rod end boot has a tear that is going to be fixed soon, but that's all that I know of.

I'm not sure if it's suspension or not and doesn't happen on the highway (i.e. only slow speed with a lot of compression (i.e. not highway).

I see some clear metal in these pictures, that's really all I think could be making that noise, knowing very little about troubleshooting suspension.

No I don't have a recording, I'll see if I can get one next time I drive.

PXL_20220929_163212031.jpg

PXL_20220929_163141310.jpg

So many suspects... What do you upper and lower ball joint boots look like? How many miles on rig?

Following. I have the same issue. Same little tear on the tie rod boot. I'm at 290k. It's usually only one single sound... Almost like a pop for me. It only ever happens in a tight turn, like going in/out of a parking spot, or a turn w/ some compression.

Following. I have the same issue. Same little tear on the tie rod boot. I'm at 290k. It's usually only one single sound... Almost like a pop for me. It only ever happens in a tight turn, like going in/out of a parking spot, or a turn w/ some compression.
It's not a pop at all for me. More like a low frequency creak.

Also, I need to probably change my original comment that it's compression. Now sounds like decompression, i.e. springs. Do they make noise?

I think the noise is suspension from driver front side. This happens upon compression going over bumps. It feels more like a creak though... My tie rod end boot has a tear that is going to be fixed soon, but that's all that I know of.

I'm not sure if it's suspension or not and doesn't happen on the highway (i.e. only slow speed with a lot of compression (i.e. not highway).

I see some clear metal in these pictures, that's really all I think could be making that noise, knowing very little about troubleshooting suspension.

No I don't have a recording, I'll see if I can get one next time I drive.
Also, if you want to try something quick and easy, that shinny spot on your shocks, try rubbing a little axle grease or other thick grease just for giggles and see if there is any change. All this will do is just help isolate any other noises, and if it should be this, you'll find out quickly!

Only one of my tie rods ends has a torn rubber. (Driver) All others are good.
Was referring to the ball joints and the rubber boots at the end of the upper control arm, and below the lower control arm where the knuckle attaches.

I hit the sway bar bushings with silicone lube and got rid of a little random chirp I was hearing.
I tried the same, I'll try to repeat (using lithium grease) and sound went away for a small drive but not after that.
Was referring to the ball joints and the rubber boots at the end of the upper control arm, and below the lower control arm where the knuckle attaches.
All good.

I tried the same, I'll try to repeat (using lithium grease) and sound went away for a small drive but not after that.

All good.

Did you ever figure out what your noise was?

Did you ever figure out what your noise was?
I have not. It is not nearly as frequent now and I have a few solutions still to try: Namely KDSS swaybar bushing replacement.

I saw a good green GX 460 in Tuscaloosa a few months ago. You didn't happen to pick it up? I went to look at it but it was out for a seat replacement.

I have not. It is not nearly as frequent now and I have a few solutions still to try: Namely KDSS swaybar bushing replacement.

I saw a good green GX 460 in Tuscaloosa a few months ago. You didn't happen to pick it up? I went to look at it but it was out for a seat replacement.
Gotcha. I disconnected my sway bar yesterday to check those bushings and they look fine so I am still hunting my "pop/creak" as well.

Negative on the green 460. Mine is black and has way too much camping equipment bolted to the roof rack. 😂

Gotcha. I disconnected my sway bar yesterday to check those bushings and they look fine so I am still hunting my "pop/creak" as well.

Negative on the green 460. Mine is black and has way too much camping equipment bolted to the roof rack. 😂
Ha, if you're ever in Birmingham let's compare noises.

I would love to hear what you figure out. Our GX isn’t creaking yet. But my FJ does. Everything is new on its suspension minus sway bar bushings. (End links are new). Mine is usually a “pop” sound as well. Kind of like two pieces of metal bound and then break loose if that makes sense. It happens on compression and decompression. But compression is more frequent.

I would love to hear what you figure out. Our GX isn’t creaking yet. But my FJ does. Everything is new on its suspension minus sway bar bushings. (End links are new). Mine is usually a “pop” sound as well. Kind of like two pieces of metal bound and then break loose if that makes sense. It happens on compression and decompression. But compression is more frequent.
Does the "pop" happen when going in/out steep driveways or more to the point, when the suspension is compress/extended past a certain point, beyond normal suspension travel on the road?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom