HELP!! FJ40 Pressure steering hose issues on Saginaw (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All

Looking for some help for something that’s kicking my a$%! Headed to Moab in a week and need to wrap this project up.
I was swapping my 3 turn Saginaw box over to a 4 bolt 4.5 turn (27-) for a long road trip to Moab. While doing it I found that the female end on the gearbox on the new box is apparently a regular AN flare and the other is not, as a matter of fact I don’t know what it is. I have tried to bring the hose to multiple places with no luck and everybody referring me to other places.
I have attached some pics and would be great full for ANY help. The old fitting of the one that came off my old box, the newer looking fitting is from O’Reilly in my quest which does screw in.
Thanks
Wesley

32B7C2E5-B07F-46B5-9808-79CFE3EA17DA.jpeg

12BAB2F3-BAFA-402E-96B9-B86B29520C60.jpeg

227F86D6-FBA9-4438-ABE7-05399A8C06A7.jpeg

1FB6142D-1872-4001-824C-F57CEBD0303F.jpeg

Exactly. An AN inverted flare adapter is what you need. Earl's Plumbing makes good one

Last edited:
Looks like your old gear box was the 1981-newer with 16mm and 18mm metric fittings with o-rings, not flare fittings. Your new gear box is evidently a 1980-older with 5/8" and 11/16" flare fittings, not o-ring. You could take a gander at ebay #261702058064.

I just recently got the gearbox. It it as simple as going back to the store and looking for a 81 or newer so that I can just bolt back on and still use these existing hoses AND have the same spline size? If so what vehicle? I believe I asked for a 79 Jeep J20 or something.

Thanks gain all!!!!

I just recently got the gearbox. It it as simple as going back to the store and looking for a 81 or newer so that I can just bolt back on and still use these existing hoses AND have the same spline size? If so what vehicle? I believe I asked for a 79 Jeep J20 or something.

Thanks gain all!!!!

It should be that simple if and only if the company packaging up the rebuilt box has procedures in place to make sure all the different nuances are accounted for.

I'd take your old box to the parts store and try to match it up with the same box. If ordering one based on vehicle specifics you might get lucky or might get some similar but not exact match box.

I ordered Cardone 4-turn box Part Number 27-6529. It has two female flare fittings - one 5/8 and one 11/16 as @Downey mentioned. For what it's worth, the fittings pictured above both look like female flare fittings to me, so you have what I'd expect to see on a 4 turn box. Looks like you may have some gunk in the pressure end that could be preventing a good seal (probably paint chips or something).

In my experience the 4-turn boxes are getting tougher to find. They're an "older" design (used all the way back into the 1960's) that was gradually replaced by the progressive 3-turn boxes with O-ring fittings like you have. You may not be able to find one with the O-ring fittings you are looking for on a 4-turn box. An adapter fitting like the one @RAYJON mentioned would absolutely work, and seem like the "low hanging fruit" in this case at $16. I'm running @Downey's setup on the pressure side. I haven't actually pressurized the system yet but he makes good stuff, so I'm not worried.

Last edited:
The adapters are a quick fix, if you want to spend money new custom hoses from parker hose but it will be 40$ plus a hose.. and never mess with it again...

Ohh and flush the fluid every 4-5 years... helps the pump and box last longer..

I would do the adapter for now the get new lines when you need them, the nice thing about custom lines is you can route them how you want. Parker or any good hydraulic shop can make just about anything hose wise just costs money...

Last edited:
I bet Downey can ship your hoses quick. Why waste time. Order them suckers. New box, new hoses......look out Moab:steer:

Well!!!!!!!!!

Success!!!! Thanks all. These were the exact pieces I needed. Had to slightly bend my old lines just a hair but she is rocking!!! I attached some pics for all to see.

Fitting.JPG

Part Num.JPG

View1.JPG

View2.JPG

I’m having the same issue. I replaced my new hose once thinking it was a small crack in the hose. When I replaced the hose I had the same issues. Attached is some pictures of what I’m working with. Any help would be much appreciated.

D2149ADC-78D3-46B4-BC0E-D9F5AA1CF556.jpeg

74001D2E-D4AF-4606-A33C-DF55946A09D4.jpeg

E13CA44C-BC0B-463F-BC64-1AA402163797.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom