3FE Dies When Starting After Warmup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been battling this bug for a couple of years now & after spending a couple grand at the local Toyota dealer with no answers I am having a go at it myself. I have replaced the Cold Start Temp Sensor & thoroughly cleaned the cold start injector. It starts like a champ & runs great when cold- after it warms up it starts acting like it's running rich and after shutdown when I go to start it might take 10 tries to get it to remain running. The fuel pressure gauge attached to the Cold Start Injector reads 40 lbs when running vs 10 lbs when it's acting up. I'm thinking fuel pressure regulator or a failing fuel pump? If so how could Parker Toyota not be able to diagnose those issues? I had to bring in my personal FSM which is ok but I have come to believe that some of the best Mechanics available are right here on MUD. Any advice or comments would be much appreciated. Thanks

I have been battling this bug for a couple of years now & after spending a couple grand at the local Toyota dealer with no answers I am having a go at it myself. I have replaced the Cold Start Temp Sensor & thoroughly cleaned the cold start injector. It starts like a champ & runs great when cold- after it warms up it starts acting like it's running rich and after shutdown when I go to start it might take 10 tries to get it to remain running. The fuel pressure gauge attached to the Cold Start Injector reads 40 lbs when running vs 10 lbs when it's acting up. I'm thinking fuel pressure regulator or a failing fuel pump? If so how could Parker Toyota not be able to diagnose those issues? I had to bring in my personal FSM which is ok but I have come to believe that some of the best Mechanics available are right here on MUD. Any advice or comments would be much appreciated. Thanks
To your knowledge, has your fuel pump ever been replaced? If it hasn't, I would go ahead and put a new one in (dropping the tank is required... ugh). While you're in there, replace the main gasket and change out your in-tank filter/strainer. And, if you're going to that trouble, you might as well replace the pressure regulator too. Others might chime in with different suggestions, but I wouldn't consider replacing those essential, but 35 year old parts, "throwing parts at it."

I had a similar problem. My 3FE left me stranded twice after not starting after reaching running temp. My pump was "working" (I could hear it whirring), but it crapped out.

To your knowledge, has your fuel pump ever been replaced? If it hasn't, I would go ahead and put a new one in (dropping the tank is required... ugh). While you're in there, replace the main gasket and change out your in-tank filter/strainer. And, if you're going to that trouble, you might as well replace the pressure regulator too. Others might chime in with different suggestions, but I wouldn't consider replacing those essential, but 35 year old parts, "throwing parts at it."

I had a similar problem. My 3FE left me stranded twice after not starting after reaching running temp. My pump was "working" (I could hear it whirring), but it crapped out.
Thanks for the reply Nick, I did replace the fuel pump & had the tank relined probably ten years ago. That fuel pressure gauge is trying to tell me something. When I replaced the fuel pump back then I didn't have a drawer unit in the cargo area yet so yeah... that was going to be my last resort. I think I have been told either the fuel pump works or it doesn't so I'm pretty certain I can't be the only one dealing with this at 220k miles. Thanks again

You could check the voltage at the fuel pump when it happens.
If you get 12-14V than it’s not an electrical problem. ( failing fuel pump or pressure regulator )

If you don’t than you can work your way back words from there.
Check the wiring between COR and the fuel pump, check COR, ( could be failing )
check power to COR,
check connector at the air flow meter and wiring to COR,
check air flow meter, ( it triggers the COR when engine is running )

Could be a few more things, just go through this list and report back.

Yes, new fuel pump & the tank was re-lined maybe 10k miles ago. Problem with checking the voltage through the cargo area trap door is I installed a drawer system so might as well just drop the tank, I often wonder if perhaps the relining process isn't flaking off & clogging the strainer. I think I'm going to start with the fuel pressure regulator. Thanks much for your input.

You could check the voltage at the fuel pump when it happens.
If you get 12-14V than it’s not an electrical problem. ( failing fuel pump or pressure regulator )

If you don’t than you can work your way back words from there.
Check the wiring between COR and the fuel pump, check COR, ( could be failing )
check power to COR,
check connector at the air flow meter and wiring to COR,
check air flow meter, ( it triggers the COR when engine is running )

Could be a few more things, just go through this list and report back.
I have a drawer system in the cargo area complicating getting to the trap door to check the voltage at the fuel pump so might as well just drop the tank if it comes to that It's pretty busy under the passenger side kick panel & I'm not sore which is the opening relay. I have a parts 62 out back and I can try to switch that opening relay out if I could identify it- the FSM is pretty vague in it's description. all the connectors appear to be intact & it's surprisingly tidy in there.... just really busy & electrical is not my gig. Thanks for your input!

I am working through the exact same issue right now. Started and ran fine cold, then would stall and take a while to restart. When idling, once it warmed up it would start running super rich and sputter.

I replaced the fuel pressure regulator, but have not had a chance to test drive yet as I decided to finally tackle the upholstery and carpet. However I did notice a smoother cold idle after replacing the regulator.`

It seems like it would be unlikely to be the fuel pump given that it appears to start running super rich. I‘d think a failing fuel pump wouldn’t supply too much fuel, but I have been surprised before…

Hoping to wrap it up the seats this week. I’ll report back after a test drive.

Ether way, the FPR is pretty cheap and easy to change, so it couldn’t hurt to do so if you haven’t already.

Yeah, I agree on the regulator. I have one coming this week. I would expect if it were something that simple the dealer would of found it $2,000 dollars ago. I will let you know. I did the Spector upholstrey kit years ago & was really happy with the results, I replaced the seat foam also. Thanks for the input!

okay a little update:

I started the truck and let it idle/ warm up for about 20 min. It ran well with no stalling or bogging, so hopefully the FPR did the trick!

Just a little note; the regulator I ordered came with a slightly too large o-ring that would not seat properly and caused a leak. Luckily I had some one hand. Hopefully yours comes with the right size, but make sure it fits snuggly around the fitting. And be sure to lube the o-ring with a little bit of gas. Sounds silly, but it makes a difference And helps it seat properly.

I went with the cruiser corps upholstery, but I did order new foam from SOR. Just waiting on the driver seat bottom which should arrive tomorrow. Everything else is in. What a difference new carpet and upholstery makes!

I’ll update gain once I’m able to drive the truck, but hopefully the FPR does the trick for you too!

okay a little update:

I started the truck and let it idle/ warm up for about 20 min. It ran well with no stalling or bogging, so hopefully the FPR did the trick!

Just a little note; the regulator I ordered came with a slightly too large o-ring that would not seat properly and caused a leak. Luckily I had some one hand. Hopefully yours comes with the right size, but make sure it fits snuggly around the fitting. And be sure to lube the o-ring with a little bit of gas. Sounds silly, but it makes a difference And helps it seat properly.

I went with the cruiser corps upholstery, but I did order new foam from SOR. Just waiting on the driver seat bottom which should arrive tomorrow. Everything else is in. What a difference new carpet and upholstery makes!

I’ll update gain once I’m able to drive the truck, but hopefully the FPR does the trick for you too!
Thank you for reporting back. Great to hear this. Hope that your truck is sorted now.

Thank you for reporting back. Great to hear this. Hope that your truck is sorted now.
Just waiting on the part now, time will tell. I checked with the dealer on availability of the fuel pump should it come down to that and wasn't delighted to here they are in the $500 range and there are two for the 1988.... a Denso or an Asin depending on which mine came equipped with. The VIN didn't specify, lol.... The joy of Fatherhood! Thanks again

Just waiting on the part now, time will tell. I checked with the dealer on availability of the fuel pump should it come down to that and wasn't delighted to here they are in the $500 range and there are two for the 1988.... a Denso or an Asin depending on which mine came equipped with. The VIN didn't specify, lol.... The joy of Fatherhood! Thanks again
If you haven’t made the purchase yet, check McGeorge Toyota parts and share the price with your stealership.

At McGeorge, Put in your vin and they will double check parts.

Here is the pn for the pump: 23220-16430

$319 and change for OEM.

Thanks, I got my cold start temp sensor from them & saved buco bucks. Of course I had the change the connector since the 1988's are not available anywhere I could find. I used Parts Geek for my FPR (Delphi) & they list the Denso Fuel pump with strainer kit for under $125 shipped with free returns. I checked both local dealers here & they said 1988 used both the Asin which is your part number & the Denso #2322-16190 both over $500. We shall see. I ordered it as a backup being I don't want to go into winter without a rig that has a winch. Thanks again!

I drove the cruiser today, so far so good. It ran well this morning, but seemed to run even better after driving around for a while doing errands in it this afternoon.

Seems like replacing the FPR did the trick. Hopefully it works for you and anyone else experiencing similar running issues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom