Towing report.. long trip. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just some towing notes.. 1974 25ft (model) Avion LeGrande.. About 27ft tongue to bumper. Usually around 6,800 lbs loaded.. Tongue weight around 800 to 900. I use equalizer brand WDH.. Towed at least 20k with the 100 series and now with the 2020 HE. I had OME suspension on the 100. The 200 is stock suspension & tires. The rear squats slightly when hooked up. Very stable while towing but that may be that the trailer just tows nice. I’ve not tried other large trailers. We’ve done quite a few trips with the HE but did a rather long one the whole month of June. 7,351 miles California, South Carolina, Colorado, Tetons, Sierra Nevada and back home. Pretty good test! It was extremely hot most of the time. Almost always had the trailer AC going when stopped. Usually we try to avoid going places needing the trailer AC. Really impressed with the capability of the cruiser. No issues. Engine oil was down about half a qt after 3,500 miles. But it was fine at the end of the trip. Movement of the temp gauge was almost imperceptible pulling grades on 100plus deg days. Flat roads going fast I could be in 5th gear but mostly was limiting it to 4th.. keeping the RPM around 3k seemed to be a good balance. But closer to 4K if pulling a grade. Extreme grades up and down you just got to wind up that V8. Would like a bit more engine braking for very steep downgrades. But was not a problem. There was one road between Grand Junction Colorado and Dinosaur Colorado that I was in 1st at times up & down! I think it was Douglas Pass Road. I wasn’t expecting that. Last week we were towing the trailer on Hwy 1 in California between Bodega Bay North to Gualala. For those who don’t know that road is very skinny, curvy with some steep sections. I didn’t need to get into 1st on that. Anyway.. for what I pull the cruiser is a great tow vehicle. Just bring lots of gas $$$..

51B3E045-E282-4A3A-9143-8AFD9C7F3BF5.jpeg

A470B927-6DAE-41D5-8025-ADA1FD665362.jpeg

D26E2B17-C0AA-4ED9-AC9D-E066BCF663E8.jpeg

ECF4AD11-7330-4609-88FD-F0AECBDF4B6C.jpeg

C1D362B4-3530-4959-8729-99F0083EB26C.jpeg

Just some towing notes.. 1974 25ft (model) Avion LeGrande.. About 27ft tongue to bumper. Usually around 6,800 lbs loaded.. Tongue weight around 800 to 900. I use equalizer brand WDH.. Towed at least 20k with the 100 series and now with the 2020 HE. I had OME suspension on the 100. The 200 is stock suspension & tires. The rear squats slightly when hooked up. Very stable while towing but that may be that the trailer just tows nice. I’ve not tried other large trailers. We’ve done quite a few trips with the HE but did a rather long one the whole month of June. 7,351 miles California, South Carolina, Colorado, Tetons, Sierra Nevada and back home. Pretty good test! It was extremely hot most of the time. Almost always had the trailer AC going when stopped. Usually we try to avoid going places needing the trailer AC. Really impressed with the capability of the cruiser. No issues. Engine oil was down about half a qt after 3,500 miles. But it was fine at the end of the trip. Movement of the temp gauge was almost imperceptible pulling grades on 100plus deg days. Flat roads going fast I could be in 5th gear but mostly was limiting it to 4th.. keeping the RPM around 3k seemed to be a good balance. But closer to 4K if pulling a grade. Extreme grades up and down you just got to wind up that V8. Would like a bit more engine braking for very steep downgrades. But was not a problem. There was one road between Grand Junction Colorado and Dinosaur Colorado that I was in 1st at times up & down! I think it was Douglas Pass Road. I wasn’t expecting that. Last week we were towing the trailer on Hwy 1 in California between Bodega Bay North to Gualala. For those who don’t know that road is very skinny, curvy with some steep sections. I didn’t need to get into 1st on that. Anyway.. for what I pull the cruiser is a great tow vehicle. Just bring lots of gas $$$..

View attachment 3129699

View attachment 3129700

View attachment 3129701

View attachment 3129702

View attachment 3129703

09B7DC6C-C3AF-4527-BA05-9E02F6E0B5FC.jpeg

119F21E5-906B-45F4-85BE-B5886AC0581F.jpeg

9F9FFF9D-D543-4B40-95D5-75A23202B3F9.jpeg

A7AC943A-0EDE-4F4B-A63E-9280C6A4FB20.jpeg

06549040-0FD7-43BB-991D-D97AB14E4181.jpeg

Anyone complaining that a 200 can’t keep up with a wrangler is missing the point… whole different kind of capability, while still being able to do impressive trails.

Thanks for posting!

How do those Avions compare to an Airstream?

Sweet setup!

You were towing all that with a 100 Series as well?

How do those Avions compare to an Airstream?
I think they were built structurally better than airstreams.. I think Airstreams have an edge on styling. Avions were built in Michigan I think in the early 60s. They were on the high end pricewise. Avion was bought by a major RV company in early 80s and fizzled out by late 80s. Avions had anodized aluminum rather than polished. Which I appreciate! No polishing. The frame and suspension are pretty heavy duty. I found a clean original one owner Avion from SoCal.. no rust. I did spend hours and hours cleaning.. replacing countless clutch head screws with SS.. updating appliances and just about anything mechanical. New floor covering. countertops. Cabinets are original, real wood and solid as a rock. Brass piano hinges on the cabinet doors. Been through plenty of wild rainstorms and no leaks. I could go on and on because I did put a lot of labor in it. But it is built like a tank.. The suspension on this one is a heavy pivoting thing with rubber bushings made by MORRyde. I rebuilt the bushings a few years ago and parts were available. Should be good for another 50 years.. it will outlive me! There was not a lot of them made and finding one in good condition may be hard. Less parts are available than airstream. We do think about a larger RV at times but this would be hard to part with. Figuring out a StarLink next.

Mine is a 74 but I attached a factory brochure from 1972. The exterior in 72 is slightly different but interior and structure are the same. Gotta love the 70s style clothes!

Attachments

• 1972_Avion.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 43
Beautiful rig and vintage Avion you have there. Looks to be lovingly cared for and I'm sure made for some great memories.

I just got home today after 3,500 miles on the road to Yellowstone and Grand Teton overlapping some of your destinations. The 200-series is an incredible trip vehicle. I drove her harder this trip than any previous as we were trying to make some big distances some days. 75-80mph really kills MPG! With one fill in particular showing a 7MPG average.

Regarding your oil consumption comment - I just took a look. Looks like I'm also down 2/3 qt from last fill. I'm running 0W-30. Oil consumption is something I've never noticed on this vehicle, but then again, I've never driven her this hard hauling 15,620lbs over 3k miles. Not that is concerns me as this is normal running high RPMs as I've experienced in track cars. Which I did for long stretches pulling hard in 4th gear mostly, but definitely 3rd and 2nd at times climbing heavy grades. I also got to see transmission/torque converter heat protection in action a few times (after cross 255*F) and it works seemlessly, locking up in 3rd and even 2nd gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom