Purist Bone Stock FJ-55 - The next chapter!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally made some time to do some trouble shooting on the Warpig. Hooked up fuel pressure guage and with key on was getting less that 10 psi. Couldn't tell if the pump was running or not. There is a junction just before the shock tower with a fine mesh filter in-line and I figured I'd break it there and check it out.
View attachment 3119902

Broke everything apart and had the wife turn the ignition on, solid stream to there, so I split open the filter and found this.

View attachment 3119900

That picture is taken with a LED flashlight directly behind it, like touching it. So clearly the filter was completely junked up. Since I have a filter in line, I just left the screen out and put everything back together and viola! 43 psi on the guage, jumps to 50+ when you blip the throttle, settles back to around 43 when at 2k rpm. I believe I found the culprit.

My guess is the filter clogged and cause the last pump to burn up dead-heading. Then the new pump was struggling and at 9psi, would likely have burnt up as well.

I'm going to see about ordering another screen to replace the one I removed or I'll just pick up another in-line filter to go in its place. That and an extra pump to keep as a spare.

Hopefully I'll give'im a test rip tomorrow before dark to see how the throttle response is under load.

I'm pumped! Crawl is in 2 weeks and this thing needs to make an appearance.
I’ll be there in my 55 at the crawl.

I’ll be there in my 55 at the crawl.
Saw you been working on getting that lift on the pig. Truck is coming together nicely. Look forward to checking it out in a couple weeks. At some point my "good" 55 is gonna get some love.

Saw you been working on getting that lift on the pig. Truck is coming together nicely. Look forward to checking it out in a couple weeks. At some point my "good" 55 is gonna get some love.
Awesome thanks, we are getting up there Wednesday. Excited to see your custom piggie…

F C fabrication jewelry on my 55 , You got the best master on metal work , to build your pig

Resized_20220628_100203 xcase2.jpeg

Resized_20220628_100129 xcase1.jpeg

20220817_115324 skid with snake.jpg

@55guy that's a nice cross-member. Curious is FC still doing fabwork? I've only heard tails of his builds from the OG pirate days, but since it's gone thru so many changes and he was notorious for deleting build threads, I've never really seen much of his other work. I asked the current admins if they could find a thread or 2 with dead links, but got no where in that effort. I really wish I could find the original build thread for the rig to learn a little more about it.

But it's likely lost in cyberspace on an old server 7 upgrades ago.

Fc ( Don ) fab is still alive and booked for fab work , I just managed to sneak in between builds ! His Builds were on Pirate 4x4 Try logging in and search Fc builds ,Years ago that is where all cruiser guys went for info , Before ( Ih8mud )
Good luck Also u gotta remember cell phone were not popular then ? LOL

WP is fighting me at every turn. Got up this morning and he fired up and was running strong. Took a rip up the driveway and around the farm and man was I all smiles. That 350 hasn't run that good in months... well it was short lived.

Loaded him up on the trailer for a test run with the 570 and I'll be d@mned if he wouldn't start. Not even a try. So I went on with my test pull. That all went good. Back home and got him running enough to get off the trailer. I could only figure that my test rip shook something loose in the tank and clogged the filter.

I nursed him into the grass and pulled both filters. I couldn't tell much on the post filter, but the pre filter was full of powder.

20221001_135723.jpg

20221001_135738.jpg

So I ditched it and went and bought a bunch of the clear in-line filters since this is on the low pressure side.

Plumbed one in and re-assembled everything and got him running, but back to stumbling under load and now won't hit a lick again. I am now looking at putting a gm style in-line filter in after the pump, that or ordering a bunch of the Earl's filters and replacement elements so I can pull them and swap them easily.

I also need to drain the tank, luckily the pig tank has a drain, unluckily the exhaust runs right underneath it.
20221001_161120.jpg

I'll let it sit overnight and cool then tackle that tomorrow.

Suck part is I was sure I had it whooped, but now I'm fighting it again and need to be loaded and headed to Hot Springs by Wednesday evening or early Thursday morning. Guess we'll put Summit or amazon to the test and see if we can get parts ASAP.

After all that I said F-it and decided to start going thru the camping gear. Thankfully the tent is good to go. (Don't mind the mess).

20221001_181721.jpg

If I get him thru crawl, this winter I'm going to drop the tank and replumb the whole fuel system back to front and hopefully be done with this battle and be on to the next one.

Dang, 1-day shipping is spensive, but gotta do what you gotta do. New filters should be here Tuesday.

Are you driving through Jackson, TN, on I40 this week? If so, when?
We will be coming thru on 40 likely early Thursday morning and then back thru on Sunday afternoon.
We generally try to hit the road early Thursday aiming for a mid day arrival in hot springs. Sunday is usually mid day on the return trip.

Feel for you ! Clear filter is the only way to go , put a fuel small on ,off , switch just before the filter , You"ll thank me !

Feel for you ! Clear filter is the only way to go , put a fuel small on ,off , switch just before the filter , You"ll thank me !
100% agree. I plumbed a shut off right out of the tank. Definitely learned that lesson at GSMTR a couple years ago when the first pump started whining.

It got used several times today.

Finally made some time to do some trouble shooting on the Warpig. Hooked up fuel pressure guage and with key on was getting less that 10 psi. Couldn't tell if the pump was running or not. There is a junction just before the shock tower with a fine mesh filter in-line and I figured I'd break it there and check it out.
View attachment 3119902

Broke everything apart and had the wife turn the ignition on, solid stream to there, so I split open the filter and found this.

View attachment 3119900

That picture is taken with a LED flashlight directly behind it, like touching it. So clearly the filter was completely junked up. Since I have a filter in line, I just left the screen out and put everything back together and viola! 43 psi on the guage, jumps to 50+ when you blip the throttle, settles back to around 43 when at 2k rpm. I believe I found the culprit.

My guess is the filter clogged and cause the last pump to burn up dead-heading. Then the new pump was struggling and at 9psi, would likely have burnt up as well.

I'm going to see about ordering another screen to replace the one I removed or I'll just pick up another in-line filter to go in its place. That and an extra pump to keep as a spare.

Hopefully I'll give'im a test rip tomorrow before dark to see how the throttle response is under load.

I'm pumped! Crawl is in 2 weeks and this thing needs to make an appearance.
What was it clogged up with? Can you just clean that screen?

Fc ( Don ) fab is still alive and booked for fab work , I just managed to sneak in between builds ! His Builds were on Pirate 4x4 Try logging in and search Fc builds ,Years ago that is where all cruiser guys went for info , Before ( Ih8mud )
Good luck Also u gotta remember cell phone were not popular then ? LOL
I remember the Pirate4x4, still have my Pirate hoodie!

What was it clogged up with? Can you just clean that screen?

Couldnt really tell that there was anything. It has like a brass screen thing in it that may be packed full of stuff. I tried blowing thru it, couldn't. I need to jump the pump and confirm that it is running. All I get is the prime spurt then the computer shuts it off, so it only runs for a second or 2, then shuts off. So I need to jump 12v power and jsut make sure the pump runs solid. I'll do that this afternoon.
I can never find one that doesn't leak gas!!!
Got a link to a good one?
This is the one I have in-line currently. So far so good on not leaking.

Well now I'm a bit perplexed. I broke everything apart and tested the pump with and without the post filter. Seems to pump strong. So I hooked everything back up and it fired up, but with the clear filter I took to watching the level in the filter.

Sitting off it looks like this, or maybe a little higher.

20221002_161940.jpg

And at idle, more like this.

20221002_161902.jpg

So now I'm wondering if the feed from the tank is the issue and it just can't get enough fuel out. Thoughts?

Seems odd that it would present now, but I've decided if it can happen it will, especially when getting ready to go on a trip.

It's a little thing, but I found it in a box of stuff that came with the truck.

20221002_175940.jpg

Can't see sh!t out the back, but it should help see a little better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom