just bought a 96 80.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

in case anyone is wondering, the p/n for the coolant bypass hose that connects to block by the PHH and goes to the throttle body

16261-66040 and cost about $12 if you look carefully. I had the hardest time getting the number. hope it helps someone.

today was a big day on the landcruiser. i installed breather, heater switch, heat shields, belts, fan, fan clutch, shroud, radiator, changed gear oil in both axles and the transfer case, removed pan on the transmission, changed filter on it, installed both driveshafts,...also changed out door handles and repaired broken wire to a knock sensor on the head, and installed battery tray and battery.

it is not too far from starting up. it has been about 5 months and several thousand in parts, it is coming to an end. pretty much all interior stuff is left.
20220917_123123.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds a bit loud for sure, Valves out of the Adjustment maybe.
How does it sound once it’s warmed up and the idle drops down.
Mine definitely doesn’t sound like that at start up.

started it up today. runs like a sewing machine, but seems a little loud. am i being paranoid about it?

That's way loud, and it sounds like a bearing knock or something. That's not the clatter I expect from out-of-spec valves.

oil pressure is 3/4 up, i did not run for more than a couple minutes. one of the issues sounds like a rubbing noise down in the belts, i could not pin point the source maybe the idler pulley, i dont have the belts too tight.

in the video you can see the engine doesnt move, rock solid steady, which means no misfires, no vac leaks, no tuning issues (no valves leaking?) no odd noises echoing down tailpipe. i will start up today and listen again.

also, I was super careful with the valve buckets and put every one of them back in its original spot. they should be exactly like before.

Last edited:
Today i replaced the accelerator cable and the steering shaft seal on the firewall. i may need some help with what the bracket does on the firewall where the cable comes in. Mine is doing nothing.

I let it run for a few mins and topped off transmission and power steering, no leaks, temps are good, and a huge bonus.....the AC blows ice cold. It was 96 here today and it was sitting still. I am pleased with that. I used my stick and listened all over the engine. I believe I have isolated the excess noise to the valve train. It is quiwter than it was, but you can hear them chattering away. I am looking for an expert to handle the adjustment. If I cannot find one, I will tackle it myself. The big takeaway for today.....I put the carpet out in the sun and will begin installing it soon. I ran 2 wires for my brake controller under the carpet and will be installing the RV plug before too long. Oh yeah, went ahead and removed the front bumper making way for the ARB.
54518.jpeg

20220922_174605.jpg

20220926_171330.jpg
20220926_173810.jpg

more progress. having trouble with the steering nut on column after the firewall dustcover install. not sure what happened on that. any suggestions? looking for a winch now. leaning toward Warn Zeon 10000lb synthetic. any suggestions?

Power steering question. I moved LC yesterday and turned wheel lock to lock about a dozen times. The system is 100% new, gearbox, pump, all hoses, evwrything except cooler, which was blown out with compressed air. I am getting like 5% power assist. can someone send me a pic of the gearbox so that I can verify the lines were reinstalled correctly, please? side note. I think my noise issue is coming from water pump pulley not on totally straight. I am going to remove and reinstall.

Last edited:
Power steering question. I moved LC yesterday and turned wheel lock to lock about a dozen times. The system is 100% new, gearbox, pump, all hoses, evwrything except cooler, which was blown out with compressed air. I am getting like 5% power assist. can someone send me a pic of the gearbox so that I can verify the lines were reinstalled correctly, please? side note. I think my noise issue is coming from water pump pulley not on totally straight. I am going to remove and reinstall.
I don't think you can hook you the lines up backwards<, kinda hard to see but here's a picture.
1664547809026.png

The high pressure line is in the port closest to the left front tire.
FWIW when bleeding the system I get both front tires off the ground and have someone turn the wheel lock to lock with the motor off while I watch to make sure the reservoir does not go dry.
Continue doing this until there's no bubbles, then start the motor and repeat.
Hope this helps :cool:

I don't think you can hook you the lines up backwards<, kinda hard to see but here's a picture.
View attachment 3127991
The high pressure line is in the port closest to the left front tire.
FWIW when bleeding the system I get both front tires off the ground and have someone turn the wheel lock to lock with the motor off while I watch to make sure the reservoir does not go dry.
Continue doing this until there's no bubbles, then start the motor and repeat.
Hope this helps :cool:
i bled system per manual, but didnt have help watching for bubbles. i will do it again tomorrow. thanks for the help! also, i checked manual for hose location and verfied mine are correctly connected.

i bled system per manual, but didnt have help watching for bubbles. i will do it again tomorrow. thanks for the help! also, i checked manual for hose location and verfied mine are correctly connected.
Dude, if your PS system is all the way dry it’ll take quite a while to get it bled and air free. Just did this earlier this year and I was kind of surprised that it took as long as it did.

Dude, if your PS system is all the way dry it’ll take quite a while to get it bled and air free. Just did this earlier this year and I was kind of surprised that it took as long as it did.
i worked on it 3 more times today and finally got it to start responding and whining. you are correct, what a surprise. i was exprcting immediate results after filling it. way wrong on that one.

i worked on it 3 more times today and finally got it to start responding and whining. you are correct, what a surprise. i was exprcting immediate results after filling it. way wrong on that one.
I finally gave up counting how many time it went lock to lock before the bubble subsided.

I finally gave up counting how many time it went lock to lock before the bubble subsided.
i have been at least 30 times lock to lock. it hopefullt is getting closer to done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom