What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While bombing around the wilds of the Medicine Bow National Forest I detected the odor of gear oil while at a stop. Quick look underneath confirmed that my rear axle backing plates were dark with dirt-soaked fluid. Yep, smelled horrible, too. I am trying to do as much of my own work as possible, but am also in the middle of selling my home and moving to a different place I haven’t even seen yet, so my tools are locked up in an undisclosed location. So turn to my favorite local Toyota/Lexus shop (ToyAuto Masters of Englewood, Colorado) for new axle seals and diff flush and fluid replace. At 263k miles the bearings looked fine, the parking brake shoes were soaked, there weren’t any no troubling particles in the fluid, and I am probably going to have to wait before taking on any other expensive projects. Pic (which I already posted somewhere) for attention.

1FFF803A-800C-4190-843C-8FCB98BDE64A.jpeg

New SPC lower rear control arms on.
2.5 hour job set up to clean up with a couple breaks. My mounts are a little mangled and I had to remove the TT front mount slides completely.
The SPCs have about 3/8"more girth than OEM.
20221001_150208.jpg

And then added this Amazon buy to increase our gas mileage....
20221001_162231.jpg

Holle molle!

Installed the Lutz speedometer calibrator today. Super easy to install and happy I didn't have to remove my skid plates to install it.

lutz.jpg

Tested against GPS at different speeds and my speedometer was behind GPS by 5% due to my larger tires, so pressed the button 10x and zip tied it to a nearby wire bundle. Haven't done exhaustive testing yet (like freeway speeds), but driving around the local area the speedometer now matches GPS.

Well, I got a little too sassy apparently last night. Two brand new alternators and a third on the way tomorrow. One day, I swear to sweet baby Jesus. I will be done with this one damn job!

IMG_0919[1].JPG

IMG_0920[1].JPG

IMG_0915[1].JPG

Pulled the anti theft module from under the dash. No more random alarm going off at 2am!
1322D3A1-A99E-44FF-89D7-46BC434B2BE9.jpeg

Digging the slick top! She cleans up nice!
Thanks! That was where she died in the liquor store parking lot last night. I didn't even get to use the fancy drive-through window. The guy trimming the trees was nice enough to give me a little jump this morning. I think she might just be yard art at this point. Haha, I was able to find the half-assed rodent damage repair the PO had done and replace that as well. Hopefully, the third alternator is the charm.

Installed some protection. really happy with the product and the OME shocks are finally ridding decent. She also got a new glass from Toyota. Last one was destroyed by the neighborhood's resident teenage gang. Decided to put bumper after having a close call with a Deer at 4AM heading to work.

tempImagenJmudH.png

Might be a lost cause. But I’ve started on this project. Wanted to see if i could make a phone/device mount that spans across the top of the screen and be attached using the existing radio bolts on top. If it wasn’t for Lexus build quality it would be a lot easier. The gaps between the vent and the HU bezel makes it an extremely tight fit. I’m using 1/8” aluminum wondering if i go with thinner sheet metal will it still be as sturdy?

Love to get some input from you. Also not having a metal break makes the bends more rounded would love a tighter bend but it's aluminum so not sure if that's possible.

If I can get the mounts done right then I would tie the two brackets with a strip of metal, that way I can drill holes in top of that span to mount things like the RAM uni-ball to attach phone mounts etc on top

BF645435-0AB6-4433-A608-7715B14D5465.jpeg

28E36ACD-FC5B-4214-B83D-2FF561CA6C16.jpeg

Might be a lost cause. But I’ve started on this project. Wanted to see if i could make a phone/device mount that spans across the top of the screen and be attached using the existing radio bolts on top. If it wasn’t for Lexus build quality it would be a lot easier. The gaps between the vent and the HU bezel makes it an extremely tight fit. I’m using 1/8” aluminum wondering if i go with thinner sheet metal will it still be as sturdy?

Love to get some input from you. Also not having a metal break makes the bends more rounded would love a tighter bend but it's aluminum so not sure if that's possible.

If I can get the mounts done right then I would tie the two brackets with a strip of metal, that way I can drill holes in top of that span to mount things like the RAM uni-ball to attach phone mounts etc on top

View attachment 3130109

View attachment 3130110
This is a super cool idea! Don't get discouraged. I think if you were to add a secondary at the bottom it would more effective for bracing and run it only inside like straight down from the top right screw along that tan plastic. Hell, even remove that plastic and replace it with your metal addition. I have a complete dashboard outside of my vehicle if you need some photos or recon let me know.

374K on odometer. This week:

- New brake lines and speed bleeder valves
- Brake fluid flush
- Front and rear diff fluids
- Transfer case fluid
- New sway bar bushings forward and rear
- New sway bar end link bushings
- New steering rack bushings
- Pulled exhaust manifolds and welded up cracks
- New exhaust mani studs, nuts, gaskets
- New front axles
- New wheel races and bearings
- Turned front rotors
- New upper and lower ball joints
- New outer tie rods
- Oil change

- Removed about 5 lbs of 22 years of grease and dirt.

IMG_1686.JPEG

Last edited:
374K on odometer. This week:

- New brake lines and speed bleeder valves
- Brake fluid flush
- New sway bar bushings forward and rear
- New sway bar end link bushings
- Pulled exhaust manifolds and welded up cracks
- New exhaust mani studs, nuts, gaskets
- New front axles
- New wheel races and bearings
- Turned front rotors
- New upper and lower ball joints
- New outer tie rods
- Oil change

- Removed about 5 lbs of 22 years of grease and dirt.

View attachment 3130178
How long have you been running with cracked manifolds? How much weld buildup did you do?

How long have you been running with cracked manifolds? How much weld buildup did you do?

It's been years of leaking exhaust but this is not a daily driver of mine. Ticking would go away after the engine heated up.

I had all the front suspension pulled and the manifolds were staring me in the face... so, I dove in. Pulled both but came to find only the drivers side, front port was cracked and frankly, at 374K was surprised this is all that I found. The runners and exhaust ports were also extremely clean.

Local machine shop guy did a nice weld up job (don't have pic) for some easy cash.

IMG_1646.JPEG

Any of you guys with a BT45-Toy unit for Bluetooth have a constant whining/feedback noise that is most heard at low volume or when song changes? Can’t tell if my unit is defective or not

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom