Slee vs Dissent Rear Swingarm Bumper for Go-Everywhere Swiss-Army-Knife Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After my first year and a half of using my rig, I've been collecting some learnings and planning for modification round #2. Right now, I need to choose a rear bumper. My hitch-mounted swingarm-and-cargo-carrier setup got its final death blow while I was driving at a high speed on hilly East Coast terrain and exceeded my available rear clearance during a rather harsh dip. I need more clearance, more protection when my clearance is exceeded, and flexible, easily accessible cargo carrying capacity outside the truck.

Right now, I'm at 7400 pounds, with almost perfect 50/50 front/rear weight distribution. This includes 34s, upgraded suspension, sliders, drawers, front bullbar, aux battery, roof rack, built-in shower system, air, winch, lights, and a ridiculous amount of recovery gear. My use case is 75% solo trips across all terrain. Long stretches on the highway, then basically everything offroad, though very little rock climbing at the moment. I'm mostly East Coast for now, but I do have some West Coast boulders on my radar too.

The Kaymar doesn't give me the storage capacity and flexibility I need. The Victory seems not to work with all safety features, which is a no-go for me on the highway and in the urban areas I frequent as well during trips. So I'm down to Slee or Dissent. Neither of these provides the exact storage solution I need off the shelf, so I'll have to do a little customizing with either of them. So I'm pretty much down to shape, weight, material, or or other considerations I might be missing.

What do folks think I should get?

Last edited:
If you have custom needs consider the RLC. He will make you anything you dream up. No swing; one swing, two swing, or a swing and whatever you want on the other side. Or two misc swings.

I looked hard at the both the Slee and Dissent and I bought the dissent. The Slee bumper is absolutely bomb proof but it’s a pretty traditional design IMO.

Ben’s stuff is absolutely art and I don’t think anyone thinks as much about modularity as he does. You can get a tire carrier and two different types of accessory panels. Not to mention locking enclosures, locking Jerry can holders, fold out camp kitchens etc. only limit is your imagination and your budget.

Dissent:
Go Mode vs No Mode 😎

CD1770F9-2684-4501-BD9D-43F053A2CD06.jpeg

5D2845F6-41D2-44AE-98EC-B77CE1FD65BB.jpeg

I really like my Dissent rear bumper. It’s not as stout as Slee and I’ve had to reposition it after some hard bangs. There are a lot of bolts that you need to retorque or at least check periodically. Loctite is a good idea. I’ve got past the color of the bolts. It’s that they are all SAE that bugs me.

I really like my Dissent rear bumper. It’s not as stout as Slee and I’ve had to reposition it after some hard bangs. There are a lot of bolts that you need to retorque or at least check periodically. Loctite is a good idea. I’ve got past the color of the bolts. It’s that they are all SAE that bugs me.

I had to retorque the big through bolts that hold the steel recovery points after LCDC. One had slid about 1/4” back but went back no problem.

Is there a maintenance guide or something like that? I think some routine maintenance would be expected and reasonable; but sounds like it would be helpful to have a cheat sheet on how to install the bolts in the first place and then what to check periodically--both during routine use and after any hard use/impacts.

I myself would be interested in a black bolt option too for the most visible bolts. In the least, would be great to have a bolt list (size and grade) for self-sourcing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom