Bears chewing on tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has any one experienced a bear chewing on their tires while parked overnight? I've spent a lot of time in the backcountry of East Tennessee and the Southern Appalachian range and have never experienced anything like this. My 2008 LC was parked for a few nights in Big South Fork Recreation Area and I came back to find all four tires had bite marks in them. One had gone flat as a result. We heard from a ranger that a momma black bear and her cubs had been active in the area a few days before. I can only speculate that her bite flattened the tire but the cubs only left teeth imprints.

Attached is a picture of the bite marks in the flattened tire.

Thanks for any input.

2022-09-29 13.21.21.jpg

That is an incredibly powerful bite. I know how tough tires are. Can you imagine the jaw strength?

This is just great. Something ELSE to worry about while out camping.☹️

This is just great. Something ELSE to worry about while out camping.☹️
Just bring a spare with Jelly in it, that should give the bear a great chew toy. :p

I’ve also been around black and brown bears my entire life and never heard of them chewing tires. Do you have a dog? Possibly your dog marking on the tires the scent interested the bear? That said bears do a lot of damage to vehicles to get food inside them, ripping out windows, convertible tops, ….

I’ve also been around black and brown bears my entire life and never heard of them chewing tires. Do you have a dog? Possibly your dog marking on the tires the scent interested the bear? That said bears do a lot of damage to vehicles to get food inside them, ripping out windows, convertible tops, ….
I know there are some Chicago Bear fans that will eat just about anything.

Da bears!

Not sure about bears but Marmots are known to eat brake and cooling lines and all sorts of stuff

We were in a remote backpacking area of Sequoia National Park and people in the parking lot had wrapped the undersides of their cars in tarps.
I saw an xterra way up near the top of arrastra gulch outside silverton parked on a tarp with it bungeed up the sides and front. Couldn’t understand why.. flood? Surely a critter would chew right through..

I saw the guy driving down and asked him. He dumps ammonia into the tarp to keep the marmot out. Said they had totaled two of his vehicles up there and this was the only sure fire solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom