Have you tried amber film over factory fogs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has tried an amber film over factory fog lights.

What product did you use?
How many layers?
Did it make the light appear amber (or did the white bleed through)?
Were the fogs still projecting enough light to increase visibility?
Any tips or tricks?

After doing a trip to Canada this year that was days of convoy driving in heavy dust, I want amber fogs. I notice that the amber lights people ran were much more visible than the people with white lights. I already have amber chase lights, which work well and want some amber on the front of the vehicle.

I have a TJM T13 bumper with the factory fogs installed in them. I have an event next week, and don't have time to mess around figuring out what lights I could buy and install beforehand. Also, my state has a (stupid) regulation that they enforce during the annual safety inspection about all lenses having DOT/SAE markings*, so it limits my options.

If I can get usable amber for $10-20 of film and an hour of exacto knife time and it works, then that should work for now. I saw both Laminex and generic brands on Amazon.

*Seriously:
Procedure: Visually examine required exterior lamp functions and presence of required exterior lenses and reflectors.
Reject vehicle if:
1. Any required lamps do not operate as designed.
2. Headlamps cannot be properly aimed.
3. Lamps are not DOT/SAE approved with appropriate markings.
(and so forth)

Last edited:
Hey Charlie have you looked at Diode Dynamics or Baja Designs Squadron fog lights? Both have SAE fog light kids with many fitment styles. It certainly wont be as easy as applying film, but they are way higher performance.

Hey Charlie have you looked at Diode Dynamics or Baja Designs Squadron fog lights? Both have SAE fog light kids with many fitment styles. It certainly wont be as easy as applying film, but they are way higher performance.
That'll be my longer term solution. I just don't have the cycles to figure it out in the next 7 days.'

It'd be easy if those manufacturers included Land Crusier in their fitment charts. In the past I've had to make do with Tacoma versions and custom brackets.

Eric has a video of some Baja Designs in a 16+ 200 series in this video:

He mentions model 447115, which is for the 10-22 4Runner/12-22 Tacoma/14-21 Tundra.

It looks like the equivalent SAE amber version might be the SKU 447714. Definitely do the research on this as I'm not confident that that is 100 the Tundra/Taco/4Runner SAE light. SKU 447614 looks like the SAE white version.

I didn't watch it close enough to see if it is a bolt in, or if it requires a custom bracket?

Edit: Also, I forgot to say that if it mounts in the stock location, I believe it should fit the TJM. I say this because I am running factory fogs in my TJM T13, rather than the fogs that came with it. I mean, you can make almost anything fit with enough time/effort/money, but if it mounts like the factory fog light, it should go right in.

Last edited:
There are a lot of fitments that work with a stock bumper skin. Any of the Toyota fitments with the "ear" brackets will work because you can screw them into the hidden plastic around the foglight from the back.

For a bull bar fitment it's definitely "Custom" but not hard. Here are some shots from @Tex68w 's old GX on how he did it. You just need a way to secure the light behind the bug light cup if you have a bumper.

GWxXiUX.jpg

E7P8gEg.jpg

Both BD and DD offer these kinds of brackets as well as some flush mount options that have plastic fascia that is oversized and you can cut to fit.

Sorry maybe more of a can of worms than you were asking originally :)

Yep, I did a custom fabricated bracket on my former '13. I don't have time for that at the moment.

I know there are better solutions, and I'll get around to them, but I want quick and easy for next week.

I tried to do what you're looking to do but it failed. The tip I have is don't buy the cheap film off Amazon, learned that the hard it. From applying it with the tools that came with it there were a lot of streaks and marks on the film and caused unnecessary scatter and just didn't like the look of em.

Maybe find an amber plastic cover that's close in size?

I tried to do what you're looking to do but it failed. The tip I have is don't buy the cheap film off Amazon, learned that the hard it. From applying it with the tools that came with it there were a lot of streaks and marks on the film and caused unnecessary scatter and just didn't like the look of em.

Maybe find an amber plastic cover that's close in size?
I have had film over fog lights for about 4 years now. Feel like it helps seeing through snow storms. Got the kit off Amazon, I can pull up my history if your interested.

I have had film over fog lights for about 4 years now. Feel like it helps seeing through snow storms. Got the kit off Amazon, I can pull up my history if your interested.
That would be awesome, thank you!

Thank you!

I have some LaminX I bought for my Rigid fogs, though I never actually got around to applying it. Seems like a quality film though and I think was maybe $15.

I can't say whether VT would reject your vehicle for having it on your fog lights - Illinois doesn't inspect, though when I lived in VA they did and it totally depended on the shop that did the inspection.

I have some LaminX I bought for my Rigid fogs, though I never actually got around to applying it. Seems like a quality film though and I think was maybe $15.

I can't say whether VT would reject your vehicle for having it on your fog lights - Illinois doesn't inspect, though when I lived in VA they did and it totally depended on the shop that did the inspection.
Oh crud, I hadn't considered that they might reject the inspection because of the film. It wouldn't shock me, they get more restrictive all the time. Good point. Guess I better research that a bit. Thanks!

I also used Laminx, very easy to apply (they provide a solution and a little green squeegee.) It Worked well and looked nice. I don’t have the link anymore though, I can’t find it.

Would a quick bulb change be easier than film? I put Nokya yellows in my fogs and was a 20 min job. They might have amber if that is what you are looking for.

Would a quick bulb change be easier than film? I put Nokya yellows in my fogs and was a 20 min job. They might have amber if that is what you are looking for.
I hate to admit this, but I hadn't even considered that possibility. Thank you. I'll look into this option now! Somehow I thought when I had it out I observed that it was a sealed LED unit. It had a massive heat sink on the back side.

Last edited:
check out switchback LED lights on Amazon as well. Someone had mentioned that to me before, and I got to see them in person pretty neat. Turn them on they come on white, flick em off and on again and they came on amber/yellow

I don't think my bulbs are replaceable. Here is a pic from google, but is what mine look like:
1664559559519.png

My bad! I mistakenly thought you had a 2013, same as mine. (maybe you had one previously…) Hope you find an easier alternative
No worries, I used to have a '13, sold it and got a '16. It was a great idea though, and would work great on units with replaceable bulbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom