What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (39 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been running Auto Zone Duralast Gold 100 series pads up front of my 80 for about 8 years with zero issue. Many folks run the 100 series pads with the same result. I believe that even @cruiserdan chimed in on this one a while back saying he was for it as well. Just inspected my pads and rotors yesterday and they are all still nice, smooth and evenly worn.
The 100 series pad might work for some but why, is it harder then the actual 80 series pad? Why not give the Power Stop pad a run?

The 100 series pad might work for some but why, is it harder then the actual 80 series pad? Why not give the Power Stop pad a run?
The 100 series pads are slightly wider giving a slight bit more bite on the rotor. They will (in theory) still wear the same time wise as an 80 series pad. Now I can’t speak for the 90 series power stop pad compared to a AZ 100 series pad. I want to say I paid $40 maybe for the front pads. Not sure what the power stops cost.

The 100 series pads are slightly wider giving a slight bit more bite on the rotor. They will (in theory) still wear the same time wise as an 80 series pad. Now I can’t speak for the 90 series power stop pad compared to a AZ 100 series pad. I want to say I paid $40 maybe for the front pads. Not sure what the power stops cost.
The power stop pads might be and an additional $15.

I have been running 100 Series OEM pads for almost 20 years. That's the only type for me

I get around 60,000 miles out of a set.

And hiding the fact that your “D” light is out. Clever. That’s gonna destroy your resale value.
Ha! It works. I was driving around in the morning and realized I was about to miss the turn of the clock and came to a quick stop.

Played with the AC this weekend...swapped out the evaporator, expansion valve, and drier. I want to preface by saying that I was only able to do this based on reading about every post on this great forum and felt very confident going into this project. I also bought what I thought was the best (all parts OEM; Yellow Jacket gauges; Robinair vac pump; Nylog sealant).

The good:
Vacuumed system for 30 mins, no leaks after another 30 mins, continued on vacuum for about 5 hrs
Added refrigerant (~30 oz) and got right at 40 deg F at the vents (wife really enjoyed that)

The bad:
After I pulled the gauges, I heard a very slight hiss at BOTH the low and high pressure Schrader valves
Tightened them and they still leaked...ugh

Here's a pic of the Schrader valves I used (the one's I believed were ok to use)...Santech MT0059. Frustrating but, honestly, glad that I proved to myself that I could do it and that I can just as easily do it again...after I get better Schrader valves! Any different recommendations?

tempImageN6ej16.png

A little list.

Installed new grommets on my washer bottle,
Installed @yodaTEQ Gullwings and ordered everything else he sells fory 80,
replaced the Lerms plug from my EGR delete with WitsEnd keychain ,
Ordering and receiving I don't know how damn many different packages of spares from WitsEnd and other venders,
Received my Weather tech shield cover and side window vents,
Received my snorkel,
Ordered my sliders,
Ordered @Delta VS storage brackets,
Ordered Escape Gear seat covers and dash cover,
Considering the rear disk conversion from Redline or if I should wait until Justin finishes the new kit.

Getting this thing all set for Mexico is expensive but damn I'm having fun!
Installed the snorkel,
Deleted the 100% clogged charcoal canister and vcv (both available if you pay shipping and maybe throw in for a 6 pack?) with the help of some drawn schematics found here on Mud - I can't remember the user - then installed an in line vapor filter with replaceable cartridges and check valve in place of (Immediate, noticable power and mileage gains.)
Installed the ceramic tint on my front and rear doors as well as my rear lift gate,
Greased up my moon roof mechanism and tracks,
Replaced all the window runs in the doors,
Greased the window mechanisms and tracks,
Replaced all vapor barriers in the doors,
Replaced all the door seals,
Ordered new front calipers and pads,
Installed @yodaTEQ rear light brackets and mirror light brackets as well as the engine bay light (I swear to God, if he makes more stuff for the 80, I'm buying it. TOP NOTCH!)

I'm sure there's more but that's off the top of my head. Mexico is closer every day.

Some weekend shenanigans

20220925_125526.jpg
20220925_164448.jpg
20220925_191156.jpg
20220925_204403.jpg
20220926_101221.jpg

More photos here

Last edited:
Last edited:
Spent a couple of hours swapping out my PHH hose since I've already changed out all of the other hoses in the engine compartment. For those of you who haven't done it before, it is a must if you're wanting to do any preventative maintenance that hasn't been done before. The best piece of advice....remove the AT dipstick tube. I've done too many of these, and every time I start, I try to convince myself that I can work around it...don't.

Old hose came off in 4 pieces. Not as good as the last one, but not as bad as others.
PHH 1.jpg
PHH 3.jpg

While I was at it, also replaced the heater hose on top of the thermostat that is no longer available through Toyota. Used a gates hose #18787. I'll post pics of that when I get back into town.

While I was replacing the lower coolant hoses, I figured out why the PO had two hose clamps on it. I had been driving it around on a hope and a dream. It took well over an hour to change the lower hoses after scraping and brushing off all of the mineral deposits on the intake tube. It amazes me, and I constantly ask myself why people cut corners on essential pieces of equipment. At least I know it's been done correctly now, and it'll have Toyota red in it while I own it.

Inlet 1.jpg

Inlet 2.jpg

PHH 2.jpg

Last edited:
@ToyotaMatt at VintageTEQparts.com hooked me up with a new alternator tensioner kit and a new washer bottle, the PO for some reason had removed the factory tensioner (probably striped it out) and the belts kept coming loose every couple of drives. Didn't want to trash the new belts so this should solve that issue. Long live the 3FE

bolt.jpg

washer.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom