What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (49 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finished installing overhead console by placing bottom covers on, and put in the new dash pad replacement shelf from 4WD Interiors.

20220924_180359.jpg
20220924_180334.jpg

driver door rattles too - new bushing for pins should do the trick

This may help as well. I noticed a significant difference when I installed these.

0707D6CB-D3E0-4C34-939E-DD14A0C7A84D.jpeg

7CFF347A-AD5F-4A5B-B089-31AC6F9CAE51.jpeg

Installed a pair of Warn locking hubs. I have a totally dumb question exposing my ignorance of the way differentials work. With all 4 wheels up in the air, and vehicle in 4WD (no lockers) and in gear and hubs locked, is it normal for one wheel on each axel to spin much faster than the other wheel on the same axel? Passenger side front wheel spins fast and driver's side rear wheel spins fast. But if I use my foot to stop the fast spinning wheel the other wheel on the same axel takes over.
Thanks.

Installed a pair of Warn locking hubs. I have a totally dumb question exposing my ignorance of the way differentials work. With all 4 wheels up in the air, and vehicle in 4WD (no lockers) and in gear and hubs locked, is it normal for one wheel on each axel to spin much faster than the other wheel on the same axel? Passenger side front wheel spins fast and driver's side rear wheel spins fast. But if I use my foot to stop the fast spinning wheel the other wheel on the same axel takes over.
Thanks.
that’s how it should work. Without lockers, the wheel with the least resistance on each axle is the one that spins.

So, carburetor update. Started with a Weber when I got it, then to a Chinese knock off, Holley Sniper and now a Mark A. Carb. Ran in to an issue as the brackets I had wouldn’t work with Marks carb and I had planned on going to the car show this weekend. A little fab work and bammmm, up and running again.

View attachment 3122968

View attachment 3122969

View attachment 3122970

now ............

that's some SKUNK-WORKS There for dam sure.........

A+ work sir ! :cool: 🍻 🍻 🍻

A tech update, but without any pictures, sorry, nothing snazzy on this one to take pictures of. So I removed the Pertronix 1662 from Distributor 19100-61180 and installed the Pertronix 1662LS. It was a gutless wonder on my test drive, but no worries. The Lobe Sensing version fires the coil at a different point, so I hooked up the timing light and tried to advance the timing a bit. I couldn't because the cap hold down clamps were driven into the push rod cover. But still no worries. I pulled the Distributor up and advanced it one tooth into the cam gear, and brought it back down, luckily still engaging the oil pump. Then I had plenty of room to set the timing back to approx. 10* BTDC and Voila, that did the trick. Now... I didn't realize how crappy my idle had gotten until I did the upgrade. It was really bad before, but I thought it was just the best it could be. Nope. It is rock solid now, it just hums. And I'm back to full power on the acceleration after I got the timing back in spec. Just an amazing weekend all together. That Pertronix 1662 was really causing problems that were going to get worse, the shavings from it grinding into the base of the pickup plate were into everything! And now I know.
GiJoeKnowingIsHalfTheBattleGIF.gif

A tech update, but without any pictures, sorry, nothing snazzy on this one to take pictures of. So I removed the Pertronix 1662 from Distributor 19100-61180 and installed the Pertronix 1662LS. It was a gutless wonder on my test drive, but no worries. The Lobe Sensing version fires the coil at a different point, so I hooked up the timing light and tried to advance the timing a bit. I couldn't because the cap hold down clamps were driven into the push rod cover. But still no worries. I pulled the Distributor up and advanced it one tooth into the cam gear, and brought it back down, luckily still engaging the oil pump. Then I had plenty of room to set the timing back to approx. 10* BTDC and Voila, that did the trick. Now... I didn't realize how crappy my idle had gotten until I did the upgrade. It was really bad before, but I thought it was just the best it could be. Nope. It is rock solid now, it just hums. And I'm back to full power on the acceleration after I got the timing back in spec. Just an amazing weekend all together. That Pertronix 1662 was really causing problems that were going to get worse, the shavings from it grinding into the base of the pickup plate were into everything! And now I know.
View attachment 3123218

the LS refers to " LOBE Sensing "

gone is the center collar that worn your 61180 main body

you will be fine now

Installed these bad boys the other day.
This sweet OME complete kit from @ CruiserOutfitters .
The 40 year old springs don’t look like much up against the OME leafs.
In one photo you can see how the leafs were wearing into each other.
Another photo shows the pitted shackle pins.

In the end, not bad for 40 years of service.

devo

5B3BE883-F9C8-4349-920D-093F949180CA.jpeg

7E05103A-A239-4D0D-A125-91F024BCE9FB.jpeg

F1612F6C-4405-484A-8C5A-3AD7261A89C9.jpeg

0CEE2805-1887-416B-BF7D-AEBA567DFEB6.jpeg

DBAC8E7C-1A14-4BE4-BB22-FDB9B1AE525A.jpeg

Last edited:
Installed these bad boys the other day.
This sweet OME complete kit from @ CruiserOutfitters .
The 40 year old springs don’t look like much up against the OME leafs.
In one photo you can see how the leafs were wearing into each other.
Another photo shows the pitted shackle pins.

In the end, not bad for 40 years of service.

devo

View attachment 3123299

View attachment 3123301

View attachment 3123302

View attachment 3123303

View attachment 3123304
Love the hard top!

Did absolutely nothing to it..........was at the beach on vacation!
IMG_2251.jpg

While down in the Panhandle, had dinner with @thatcabledude in this place, The Bay Restaurant.
IMG_2243.jpg

However, we got back yesterday, fired it up this morning and took it to work! It's getting a Mother Nature bath to wash the dust off.
IMG_2266.jpg

Starting the usual fall systems checks before heading out to Death Valley. Tighten left rear engine mount bolt… again (love the original castle nut design). Discover Speedometer cable outer sheath burned from contacting modified exhaust. Install new cable retainer for tow truck jumper cable system and re-route cables. Remove and clean fuel filter housing (no dirt in the glass bowl though😊) Put a new coat of varnish on the kitchen box and add some oak staves to keep it in service a while longer.

A600ADC7-1EE0-4646-AE60-900C75F14603.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom