a-trac 101 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have to say, I found the thread because I new mine had Atrac but had never managed to trigger it, with wheels spinning etc.

Now I realize how low I have to keep the revs etc., I have found it does work, when following the OP advice on how best to utilise.

Take a look at your brake booster? Is there 4 lines coming out? Or 3?

If you have 4, you have traction control which means you have atrac. I'd be pissed if I bought a 100 series that was 2000 and newer, and it didn't have atrac or traction control.
yup, no atrac, jdm came with or without depending on the model, meh, what can ya do?

A little ATRAC utilization on an off-camber situation;

5F0E67B9-C664-48FD-8CE2-62CBC9C87F8F.gif

On 4L + CDL
275/70R18 Falken AT3Ws
Fully functional AHC with 1” sensor lift

Take a look at your brake booster? Is there 4 lines coming out? Or 3?

If you have 4, you have traction control which means you have atrac. I'd be pissed if I bought a 100 series that was 2000 and newer, and it didn't have atrac or traction control.
Yup, only 3 lines, no ATRAC or traction control. No start up indicator light test present. Turns out, this was not a standard item in Japan, but a limited slip rear was. Oh well.

I definitely needed to read this yesterday after accidentally parking on some "leaves"...
(That happened to be 300mm deep, in an open channel drain)

But it absolutely confirmed my fears that revving the engine with wheels spinning was heading toward a catastrophic failure. So I just called the tow truck giving I had 0hrs experience with 4wd-ing.

After reading this I was close, but should have use the throttle controller to slow the ramp up speed, and tried to climb out slowly.

20220711_115048.jpg

I definitely needed to read this yesterday after accidentally parking on some "leaves"...

But it absolutely confirmed my fears that revving the engine with wheels spinning was heading toward a catastrophic failure. So I just called the tow truck giving I had 0hrs experience with 4wd-ing.

After reading this I was close, but should have use the throttle controller to slow the ramp up speed, and tried to climb out slowly.

View attachment 3056916

Yes, you could have walked right out of that easily.

Excuse me, what the hell is that thing anyway? A 100 turned xtra cab flatbed?

Yes, you could have walked right out of that easily.
I have 0hr experience off road, and I was paranoid that my ignorance would lead to something getting broken. Getting a tow truck is only a mild embarrassment compared to explaining to the mechanic as to why my hubs are all mashed on one side.

I have 0hr experience off road, and I was paranoid that my ignorance would lead to something getting broken. Getting a tow truck is only a mild embarrassment compared to explaining to the mechanic as to why my hubs are all mashed on one side.

Understand.

Surprised someone didn't come along and just give you tug out.

So I gave this a bit of a practice this weekend and I have some questions.

Basically if I'm navigating a climb do I put it in low range, D, and then slowly keep my revs low and inch my way forward? I had it in either low range 1st gear, or low range 2nd gear and there was nothing obvious telling me it was working, even though I coukd feel a wheel slipping. Although I was moving forward with ease.

Should my CDL automatically come on in low range? I notice it was doing that and when in low range I couldn't turn it off.

I was attempting to try the 2nd gear start, but when I push the button it feels like a momentary button and I couldn't see any lights on the dash. How can I tell that I have that working?

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

You do not have to be in low range for ATRAC to work and the CDL does not automatically engage in ‘98-99 models, only 2000+ models. ATRAC is in 2000+ models.

All you need for the ATRAC to engage is one or more wheels steadily spinning without traction. Then you will need to keep revs up a bit and the flashing green ATRAC light will take you home.

CORRECTION.....meant to say CDL does auto engage in '98-99 NOT 2000+. I should know.

Last edited:

Basically if I'm navigating a climb do I put it in low range, D, and then slowly keep my revs low and inch my way forward?
-Yes, Low Range and D. Correct, low revs only 1500-2000 rpm max. Gently step on the gas pedal. At times it will feel like it’s not going to move forward because the wheel that has the least resistance will spin until the ATRAC senses it and will apply independent brake pressure on that wheel thru the caliper which in return “lock” that wheel and allow the other side wheel to get all the torque from the prop shaft propelling slowly the vehicle forward. You will hear the brake “pulsate” in the process. That’s why it is important to keep the revs low so you:
• don’t “hop” the vehicle
• not damage your ring and pinion gear
I had it in either low range 1st gear, or low range 2nd gear and there was nothing obvious telling me it was working, even though I coukd feel a wheel slipping. Although I was moving forward with ease.

Should my CDL automatically come on in low range? I notice it was doing that and when in low range I couldn't turn it off.
Yes activate the CDL when you are in low range.
I was attempting to try the 2nd gear start, but when I push the button it feels like a momentary button and I couldn't see any lights on the dash. How can I tell that I have that working?

Lastly, as you gently step on the gas pedal under 2000 rpm, keep your steering wheel as straight as possible to avoid hyper-extending your CV (cv bearing failure). It’s understandable you need to steer the vehicle but avoid full lock turns when you are stepping on the gas pedal.

Last edited:

Basically if I'm navigating a climb do I put it in low range, D, and then slowly keep my revs low and inch my way forward? I had it in either low range 1st gear, or low range 2nd gear and there was nothing obvious telling me it was working, even though I coukd feel a wheel slipping. Although I was moving forward with ease.

CDL does not automatically engage in ATRAC model years. Is your truck 2000+?

There is a light for second start on the dash. If you have the power button engaged, the first push of 2nd start disengages Pwr, then push it again to get 2nd start. It does not lock, and resets if you shut off the truck.

CDL does not automatically engage in ATRAC model years. Is your truck 2000+?

There is a light for second start on the dash. If you have the power button engaged, the first push of 2nd start disengages Pwr, then push it again to get 2nd start. It does not lock, and resets if you shut off the truck.
Most accurate response so far.

There isn't a textbook way to off-road , you dont always do one way or another.. sometimes the situation will call for first gear only , other times a second start is a better option if you don't need as much powahhhh.

CDL does not automatically engage when in low, I think that is a trait of the sequoia and can he bypassed. for many situations locking it up isn't even necessary. If your up against loose terrain and steep climb the center lock will help but I barely push that button and the cruise just walks right up an over most obstacles.

You also loose your stability control so I rarely lock that when in snowy road either , I'd rather have stability control working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom